LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Detailed Problems and Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 02:12 PM
Legus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS460 Detailed Problems and Solutions

July 2018. I'm starting this thread to chronicle my experience maintaining a new-to-me LS460. Clean title. 2007, 143000 miles. $4800. ABS, VSC, traction, and brake warning lights go on randomly sometimes all at once sometimes just one at a time.

It needs some minor attention including; mirrors (center rearview does not respond, driver side mirror does not fold), sometimes all or any combination of the 3 passenger windows do not work from the drivers control panel, the motor for the glove box went so its a bit annoying to open, the rubber seal of the sky roof glass panel is slightly ripped (does not leak, does not even produce wind noise on highway) so I do not open it.

Then some major work including; ABS pump +brake line bleed (the lines leak break fluid, for now I refill fluid every day), front 8 control arms +tires and alignment.

The unknown; The fuse for the center console keeps blowing. Random electronic components are intermittent. The day after I got the car it did not start, a couple times the car shorts out entirely all interior light and power steering goes out for a split second. Mechanic says the battery and alternator don't have high enough charge (electrical problems to be determined). Since those first 3 days though, I have not had any issues with the car since.

I have already ordered most of the parts for the major work and some for the minor work. I thank you, members of clublexus for helping me with that! I just need to figure out whats up with the electrical. The very small issues like the windows and mirrors and glovebox don't need to be fixed but will be in the future when I have time. Will post detailed and organized updates!

Last edited by Legus; 07-23-18 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-18-18, 02:27 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Jesus, sounds like a lot of issues for the mileage. Clean title? Who'd you buy it from and how long did the own the car / what did they use it for?
Old 07-18-18, 02:35 PM
Legus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jasoneo5
Jesus, sounds like a lot of issues for the mileage. Clean title? Who'd you buy it from and how long did the own the car / what did they use it for?
Yes it is clean title.
Added clean title to OP, thanks.

I got it on craigslist from an accountant, young guy only a few years older than me. He had it from 80k to 140k. He definitely took very good care of the car in its prime, but he has a large garage now many new cars so he let this one the oldest go. I am fairly sure he used it to speed recklessly down the highway cross country.
The following users liked this post:
gmcbean (12-22-18)
Old 07-18-18, 03:12 PM
RussLS460
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Sounds like it's going to be a lot of headaches. Why did you choose to buy it knowing it had some of these problems?
Old 07-18-18, 03:31 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Legus
Yes it is clean title.
Added clean title to OP, thanks.

I got it on craigslist from an accountant, young guy only a few years older than me. He had it from 80k to 140k. He definitely took very good care of the car in its prime, but he has a large garage now many new cars so he let this one the oldest go. I am fairly sure he used it to speed recklessly down the highway cross country.
Nice, if you don't mind me asking - what did he have it listed for?
Old 07-18-18, 04:57 PM
pappy97
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

On the trunk, I bought an 07 over the weekend and had the trunk issue until the dealer pointed out that a trunk engage switch was on (or off?) in the glove compartment and when that happens, the interior switch and buttons outside don't work. Feature so valets don't steal stuff in the trunk. You look into that?
Legus (07-18-18)
Old 07-18-18, 04:58 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

I would pull up some carpet and inspect for flood damage. That's a lot of electrical problems for an 11 year old flagship car.
Old 07-18-18, 05:32 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

With all of the issues you mentioned, I think he should have paid you more than $4800.00 to take the car.
Old 07-18-18, 09:53 PM
Legus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RussLS460
Sounds like it's going to be a lot of headaches. Why did you choose to buy it knowing it had some of these problems?
My close friend is a good mechanic and I know he can do all the work. I got all the major necessary parts for around $2500 and the car should be almost 100% by next month. In the end, its because the custom work that the car came with (all black everything, new f sport brakes, limo tints, exhaust) is worth more than the mechanical work I will put into it.
Old 07-18-18, 09:54 PM
Legus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jasoneo5
Nice, if you don't mind me asking - what did he have it listed for?
Listed for 6k. I literally touched and pressed and opened and questioned everything I possibly could to find any and every issue, so I could get him down to the 4800 I paid.
Old 07-18-18, 10:19 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Nice, post some pictures!
Old 07-18-18, 10:38 PM
Legus
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

My friend brought a voltage reader and the OBD scanner from his job a couple times over the past few days. As of today still battery and alternator read just slightly below normal. Low voltage code. No other codes, woo!!! Doesn't read any ABS or associated codes as long as the brake fluid is full, so those lights are definitely just the leak we expected. Will pass inspection tomorrow. He also found an oil leak, damn, hopefully in a simple enough spot. It will be in his shop all day tomorrow, once its on the lift we hope to see nothing but the front control arms needing replacement as expected. Electrical issues still to be decided.
Old 07-18-18, 11:02 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Oil leak is likely from the fuel pump seals on top of the valve covers
Legus (07-19-18)
Old 07-18-18, 11:52 PM
Legus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DerrickM
I would pull up some carpet and inspect for flood damage. That's a lot of electrical problems for an 11 year old flagship car.
Sounds horrifying. I sure hope not. It was garaged. Does that make it a salvaged title? Mine is clean luckily but I guess it could've had a leak through that ripped sun roof. I was under the impression that electrical issues are common in high mileage flagships because they have unusually complex electrical systems compared to regular cars. It sat for the past year in his 8 car garage. We hope/expect this is why its happening, maybe the alternator is shot now.
My mechanic will be checking thoroughly for the root of this problem while its in the shop.

Last edited by Legus; 07-19-18 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-19-18, 04:37 AM
Nospinzone

Received 408 Likes on 316 Posts

One thing we've learned here through the years is that a less than 100% battery can cause all kinds of electrical problems. Just be aware of this.

And congrats and I wish you good luck with the car!
Jasoneo5 (07-19-18)

Quick Reply: LS460 Detailed Problems and Solutions