LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

bleeding brakes on ls460 without techstream

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-17, 08:37 PM
jimmyeyy0u
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bleeding brakes on ls460 without techstream

hi guys so i know there a ton of discussion about if the brake bleeding for our ls460 is possible bleeding the brakes without techstream.

so a little background about my car it an 2007 ls460 with 125k and i have done a full front end bushing replacement also i replaced the two bottom control arms. so i did have a hard time with the two lower control arm. The arms did not come of the knuckle so i had to remove the brake lines and i took the whole knuckle and arms to the shop help me remove it and replace my lower ball joint on the hub. once i installed everything else back on my car my stupid self did not do any research about the brake bleeding and i tired to do it like normal. all my brake lights came on!(i also tired using a vacuum pump to bleed some fluid out but the tank didn't go down with the brake fluid at all so i know i was doing something wrong)

so I've been looking around and i found this youtube video on a prius doing a brake flush without techstream and they show how to clear the code! also bleed it without causing any problems?

anyone have any tips on to get this job done? or this method done on the prius will work on our car?
Old 09-17-17, 09:18 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I doubt it will. Techstream opens certain valves in the brake actuator not doing it right will give you errors. Its a process you have to follow to a tee.
Old 09-17-17, 11:30 PM
jimmyeyy0u
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
I doubt it will. Techstream opens certain valves in the brake actuator not doing it right will give you errors. Its a process you have to follow to a tee.
it seems like the prius need tech stream too
Old 09-18-17, 07:09 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

To do it right requires Techstream. Same with the transmission flush.
Old 09-18-17, 12:45 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyeyy0u
it seems like the prius need tech stream too
I have seem something like this before. Not sure if steps follow same as a Lexus system. You could try it and see how it goes and update us on it later. The video only showed him on one brake caliper and not each wheel.

Good luck.
Old 10-29-17, 07:11 PM
jimmyeyy0u
Driver School Candidate

i tired all the methods to reset my lights and do the brake flush without the techstream couldnt get it to work so i took it to serramonte lexus in colma,ca for 180 bucks. next time ill try it again without throwing the code and ill let u guys know.. i think the problem for me was when i first did the flush i had the car on so that threw a code. i was told it can be done with the car off.
Old 10-29-17, 08:36 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess I got lucky on my 2007 when I installed my Brembo BBK and then put it back to stock when I sold it. Bled it the normal way both times and no issues.
Old 08-25-19, 07:19 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Flushed about a qt and a half of fluid. WithOUT using Techstream.

I know you're supposed to start in the back but hey this seemed to work.

Left front - Engine off, key off, brake down, open bleeder, close it when you hear that pump coming on. Used my wife to hit the pedal.

Right front- please disconnect battery. One man bleeder works fine here. Smooth bleedin' here!(Using the same method from left front triggered the abs error brake lights when the battery was connected. Maybe I held bleeder open too long. I reset using techstream. I think any abs scan tool would work though.)

Rears: battery connected, car off, one man bleeder ok. Slowly depress pedal, release when you hear the pump kick on. The battery has to be connected for the rears I have no clue why. Tried with battery disconnected and fluid was coming out of bleeder but reservoir wasn't falling. Once the battery was connected then everything got on track. Have fun!

Last edited by Benjam1n; 08-25-19 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-05-20, 01:33 PM
LexusHOG
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PRSUIT460
I guess I got lucky on my 2007 when I installed my Brembo BBK and then put it back to stock when I sold it. Bled it the normal way both times and no issues.
Hi.

I am on the same situation like you. I have 2 new Calipers that I need to replace. I wonder if I can quickly swap to the new one without doing any bleeding.

Thanks
Old 05-05-20, 02:07 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

You always have to bleed new calipers. Just disconnect your battery first and bleed like normal you will be fine.
Old 05-09-20, 10:06 AM
LexusHOG
Rookie

Originally Posted by Benjam1n
You always have to bleed new calipers. Just disconnect your battery first and bleed like normal you will be fine.
Ben, do you mean for both front/rear calipers? For the front brake, I read somewhere that the pressure has to release from the accumulator. In my case, I introduce a new caliper to the system which the caliper's piston position with rotors will be a little bit different compare to the old one. I wonder when you turn on the car, the system will smart to detect this and the warning light will come on.

Could you please provide me a little more details about your procedures? Thanks
Old 05-11-20, 02:18 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

I pretty much said what worked for me in the post a few posts up. Simple trial and error. I would highly recommend you have techstream or an ABS scantool handy in case you need to reset that pesky ABS code.

Also bear in mind I am not a professional mechanic but instead a novice who does this on my own vehicles as a hobby and to save money.

But I say disconnect your battery. Make sure reservoir full. Remove front caliper. Install new caliper. Open bleeder valve in concert with slowly pumping brakes halfway through pedal distance--opening valve on downstroke closing on upstroke. I say use a buddy but a one man bleeder should be fine.Repeat until no more bubbles. Top off reservoir. Reconnect battery. The end. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
LexusHOG (05-11-20)
Old 05-11-20, 02:24 PM
LexusHOG
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by Benjam1n
I pretty much said what worked for me in the post a few posts up. Simple trial and error. I would highly recommend you have techstream or an ABS scantool handy in case you need to reset that pesky ABS code.

Also bear in mind I am not a professional mechanic but instead a novice who does this on my own vehicles as a hobby and to save money.

But I say disconnect your battery. Make sure reservoir full. Remove front caliper. Install new caliper. Open bleeder valve in concert with slowly pumping brakes halfway through pedal distance--opening valve on downstroke closing on upstroke. I say use a buddy but a one man bleeder should be fine.Repeat until no more bubbles. Top off reservoir. Reconnect battery. The end. Good luck.
Very make sense now. Thanks so much.
Old 05-11-20, 08:54 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

since this is one of the threads i found while trying to research how to do this (i replaced my brake lines with steel braided and found out that the bleeding procedure on the ls460 is different from what im used to)

i can tell you guys how i did mine.

you'll need 2 people. one person to sit in the drivers seat with the car on and a scanner that can clear abs codes (i used some zurich harbor freight scanner a friend has)

i started at the rears. car on, passenger side rear in the air with a pneumatic type bleeder (im sure it'll work with a hose and a can. but i had a pneumatic)
run vac on the bleeder and have the driver push the pedal to the floor and hold. at the same time you open the bleeder and vac out what you can. literally takes 1-2 seconds. then close the bleeder
driver releases pedal. code kicks on. clear the code and do it again.
for me i did it 3 times in each corner. make sure you keep that reservoir full because it moves a lot of fluid quickly.

next was drivers rear, then passenger front, and drivers front last

i thought my abs unit was going out and i already ordered it. but all my codes have cleared and have stayed gone for 2 weeks now.

all i have left to do on the car is somehow fix this pcs issue

hope this helps someone.
The following 2 users liked this post by marshun:
Nagman (09-06-20), Nick9596 (03-02-23)
Old 05-12-20, 06:47 AM
LexusHOG
Rookie

Originally Posted by marshun
since this is one of the threads i found while trying to research how to do this (i replaced my brake lines with steel braided and found out that the bleeding procedure on the ls460 is different from what im used to)

i can tell you guys how i did mine.

you'll need 2 people. one person to sit in the drivers seat with the car on and a scanner that can clear abs codes (i used some zurich harbor freight scanner a friend has)

i started at the rears. car on, passenger side rear in the air with a pneumatic type bleeder (im sure it'll work with a hose and a can. but i had a pneumatic)
run vac on the bleeder and have the driver push the pedal to the floor and hold. at the same time you open the bleeder and vac out what you can. literally takes 1-2 seconds. then close the bleeder
driver releases pedal. code kicks on. clear the code and do it again.
for me i did it 3 times in each corner. make sure you keep that reservoir full because it moves a lot of fluid quickly.

next was drivers rear, then passenger front, and drivers front last

i thought my abs unit was going out and i already ordered it. but all my codes have cleared and have stayed gone for 2 weeks now.

all i have left to do on the car is somehow fix this pcs issue

hope this helps someone.
Thanks for sharing.

I just wonder your pcs issue appear after you did the bleeding.

Quick Reply: bleeding brakes on ls460 without techstream