LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Grom

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 01:52 PM
Red97tj
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
Received my Vline 2 yesterday and had it installed "professionally" today. They told me it worked for them, but couldn't download apps without logging in and didn't want to log in without my credentials. They said it looked and sounded great and loaded 5 out of 6 times they started it up.

I picked up the car just after closing hours so I couldn't go over it with them. Well needless to say, it doesn't work for me at all. I can't even get to the settings screen. Now it won't load. And my RTC mouse controls aren't working properly.

I hope it's just an install problem but fearing that it's a combo of errors.

What year is your car? Your UI screen looks miles better than mine! Mine looks like Windows 98 compared what you've post!
Old 07-09-18, 01:56 PM
Red97tj
Rookie

Originally Posted by dphennis

Have you tried pushing the SCAN button (next to AUX button) 3 times? That's supposed to take you in/out of the speaker control screen. The pic you've posted remind me of that when I push that button 3 times.
Old 07-09-18, 02:23 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Red97tj
What year is your car? Your UI screen looks miles better than mine! Mine looks like Windows 98 compared what you've post!
I have a new to me 2013 LS. The screen in the 2013+ LS is a 12.3in split screen. But I think because of the split screen, I have a fairly unique situation in that my mouse is only active on the right side of the screen when the VLine doesn't boot up. Which makes it lose some of its functionality for accessing radio station presets and text message pop-ups on the left side of the screen.
Old 07-09-18, 02:24 PM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

So my install went pretty simple as well, but this microSD issue has me and GROM technical support stumped. They have given me some additional homework to do tonight. More to report back on later.

As for my apps and use, I've installed...
Amazon Music, Waze, Plex, Tablo, Netflix, Accuweather, Radar Widget

Amazon Music - I download my different playlists for Online or Offline listening. That works well. The responsiveness of using my iPhone 8 as a hotspot, is a little slow, and as such Alexa commands have trouble. Would be nice if some of the core command/directions for Alexa could be downloaded locally for speed. I'll send that request to Amazon.

I primarily bought the VL2 for use of Waze, and it functions, although the app has some limited movement on the display for settings. I may need a bluetooth keyboard or mouse, as the on screen navigation in many of the apps I've downloaded

Plex is my Media Server that has video & music that I can download or stream from. I choose to download a large chunk of my music playlists to have access to my music files and not run up my hotspot data downloads or fumble with my phone to play them.

Tablo is a Over The Air DVR. I record my local TV content (CBS, ABC, NBC, etc...) and allows my wife to watch the news or her show if we are on a trip of any significance.

The rest of the apps people are aware of and work pretty much as directed.

I need to figure out a way to cast a video from my iPhone to the VL2 display. I have to figure out better voice control of the unit, as that is the key to this being a better integrated success.
Old 07-09-18, 02:27 PM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Sorry, hit Post before I finished my thought...I would love to hear from others what Apps they are loading on their VLine that they like and use.
Old 07-09-18, 08:56 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Are you serious?! If I had my unit installed and it doesn't work as I expected, then I can't return it (within 30 days)? I can't imagine that they wouldn't stand behind their 30 day return policy considering the issues being reported.
the receipt in the box says “must be unused and in original condition.”

Hold on. Says returns are 30 days from PURCHASE. Receipt is dated 4/08/2018.

not shipped until late June.

We will see. Like the idea. Just needs to work first time.
Old 07-11-18, 03:43 PM
Red97tj
Rookie

This is for the 07-08 guys, were you able to download both updates yesterday?
And does the Google Maps look very washed out on the screen when you're using it?
Old 07-11-18, 08:28 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Red97tj
This is for the 07-08 guys, were you able to download both updates yesterday?
And does the Google Maps look very washed out on the screen when you're using it?
turn down brightness and contrast. Press the display button on the LEXUS
Old 07-12-18, 08:37 AM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

So I installed the new 1.0.30 update this morning before heading out to work. Took an additional power cycle following the Firmware update, which made me nervous at first, but then it came up just fine (just FYI). So far I can't report anything of value right now, and it seems to be working fine, but intend to look a little closer this evening. I need to be able to include my microSD card and will try again to install it and see if it will still work for storing my other music & video files. I also just got this inexpensive bluetooth keyboard w/touchpad off Amazon (Seenda IS11-BT05) and I will report back...
Old 07-12-18, 12:20 PM
Red97tj
Rookie

Originally Posted by joedaddy1

turn down brightness and contrast. Press the display button on the LEXUS
Just turned up the contrast & brightness all the way up. Looks so much better! Thanks
Old 07-12-18, 07:27 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I almost had my unit working. I unplugged the cable, plugged it back in and system rebooted. I was able to download and install both SW and FW update. Unit was working and my inactive mouse, menu and scroll buttons came back to life. All seemed good. I turned off car, it sat for about an hour and a half, then system started up again and booted normally when I started the car again. Yay! However, after those two times, I cannot get it to load again. Back to the same as before. This is getting so frustrating!
Old 07-13-18, 07:07 AM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

I almost had my unit working. I unplugged the cable, plugged it back in and system rebooted. I was able to download and install both SW and FW update. Unit was working and my inactive mouse, menu and scroll buttons came back to life. All seemed good. I turned off car, it sat for about an hour and a half, then system started up again and booted normally when I started the car again. Yay! However, after those two times, I cannot get it to load again. Back to the same as before. This is getting so frustrating!
So I had similar problem with microSD card installed. I went back to factory defaults and reloaded everything, as I don't know if I had a corruption with the SW or FW or what. Before you do that, and I know this sounds weird, but when you unplug the cables, try and unplug ALL of the cables. Reattach only the HDMI, Power, monitor, and mic cables. No USB, no external HDMI, no microSD cards, etc... Start the vehicle and go through syncing the devices that are Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled. Verify SW and FW updates. Start and restart vehicle to ensure it's staying. If that doesn't work, then unfortunately it's back to GROM support.

Mine "seems" to be stable, but will continue to explore and report back. On a good note, the Seena Bluetooth keyboard/touchpad I mentioned above in a previous post works GREAT! Very responsive and for $21 on Amazon is a great buy for something small enough to remain in the center console storage until needed...and let me tell you...you WILL need one. Especially Waze! The software is not optimized for VL2 and many of the screens require movement that my 2007 Lexus LS460L screen doesn't seem to respond to. With this device, all is good.

Now if I could figure out how to remove the absolutely stupid Lexus navigation acceptance screen, then I would be really happy. I guess we can't have everything...

Have a great weekend
Old 07-14-18, 07:50 AM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Update...my unit was working fine until my wife and I went to an early dinner before a movie. It’s been around 95 degrees here in Louisiana. Come out and the unit will not come up. Recycle power, restart car, press scan 3 times, press Disc-Aux, nothing! I’m pissed! I go in the movie and come out 2hours later and it fires right up as if nothing happened. Hmmm? Only thing that has changed is that it’s now 82 degrees.

I sent in a GROM Support ticket, but I’m wondering if there is a Heat issue. I’ll keep you guys abreast of changes or reports back from GROM.
Old 07-15-18, 12:46 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Hi guys some very basic might be silly questions about the vline and some related entertainment system questions:

1. How does this connect to the internet? it needs updates and it needs internet connection to operate.
2. Does allow you to operate it whilst driving?

3. Is it only me or does anyone else think the stock screen is very yellow and dated..... when I was looking at purchasing the Q7 I noticed that there are companies that make a better updated screen for the Q7 higher resolution better tech etc. anything similar for lexus?

4. Also is it possible to somehow update the factory system/software to something more up to date looking... in terms of UI etc
Old 07-15-18, 07:51 AM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jdanielca
Hi guys some very basic might be silly questions about the vline and some related entertainment system questions:

1. How does this connect to the internet? it needs updates and it needs internet connection to operate.
2. Does allow you to operate it whilst driving?

3. Is it only me or does anyone else think the stock screen is very yellow and dated..... when I was looking at purchasing the Q7 I noticed that there are companies that make a better updated screen for the Q7 higher resolution better tech etc. anything similar for lexus?

4. Also is it possible to somehow update the factory system/software to something more up to date looking... in terms of UI etc
1) connects to internet via hotspot enablement on your phone or you can buy a dedicated hotspot
2) yes you can operate while driving, though be careful as it can be distracting
3) well my 2007 LS460 is 11years old. I’ve had 5 laptops and 4 iPhones during that time, so yes, the tech is dated. I have not found a way to economically update that, and be sure your contrast/brightness settings are optimally set. VL2 is a good alternative
4) have not found it. Let us know if you come up with something
The following users liked this post:
jdanielca (07-15-18)

Quick Reply: Grom