LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Grom

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-18, 10:17 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 195 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Grom

I received my grom vline 2 today. Have not opened the box. Anyone got theirs yet? Received an email saying to not do a master reset after loading google apps.

i am an Apple guy. Sent a messsge asking if they had Apple approval yet? No answer yet
Old 06-26-18, 11:44 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I want to follow this thread.
Old 06-26-18, 11:52 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm the reason they know you can't do a master reset Mine is currently sitting bricked.

They don't have apple approval yet, but CarPlay works excellently. I'm positive there are going to be more software issues and I suspect some hardware issues based upon my first several hours with the unit before I bricked it. I've had a VL1 since the pre-order as well so have plenty of experience (or rather frustration) with the unit/Grom in general.

If you are using it for CarPlay - you shouldn't have any hesitation. There's essentially no difference between the VL1 and VL2 for that comparison since it uses your iphone for the processing power. Hook it up and go for it. You'll be as happy as can be.

If you'd like to explore other uses (having it act as an android tablet) you'll be more disappointed due to the software/hardware bugginess. The speed on the VL2 is no longer an issue. I wouldn't call it fast or slow - it just moves at the speed you'd expect it to. When you tap, you get a response. When you open an app - it loads quickly. With stability - this is a total no brainer. CarPlay - Android - leaving everything else factory? How can it not be a winner ....
Old 06-26-18, 12:12 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by rehr0001
I'm the reason they know you can't do a master reset Mine is currently sitting bricked.

They don't have apple approval yet, but CarPlay works excellently. I'm positive there are going to be more software issues and I suspect some hardware issues based upon my first several hours with the unit before I bricked it. I've had a VL1 since the pre-order as well so have plenty of experience (or rather frustration) with the unit/Grom in general.

If you are using it for CarPlay - you shouldn't have any hesitation. There's essentially no difference between the VL1 and VL2 for that comparison since it uses your iphone for the processing power. Hook it up and go for it. You'll be as happy as can be.

If you'd like to explore other uses (having it act as an android tablet) you'll be more disappointed due to the software/hardware bugginess. The speed on the VL2 is no longer an issue. I wouldn't call it fast or slow - it just moves at the speed you'd expect it to. When you tap, you get a response. When you open an app - it loads quickly. With stability - this is a total no brainer. CarPlay - Android - leaving everything else factory? How can it not be a winner ....
How do I use car play on this grom? I have a iPhone 10x.
Old 06-26-18, 12:57 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Caflashbob

How do I use car play on this grom? I have a iPhone 10x.
You have it hooked up?

Once you've got the VL2 installed, you click on one of the open + signs. Go to plugins or apps (can't remember which one it is under - but you'll see it) click on the CarPlay icon. It will now be in that slot on the main grom screen. Now you need to click on the carplay icon. It will say something like "tap to activate". You need to tap it somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 times, and then it will activate. Then you're set.

Plug your phone into the USB cable coming out of USB1 on the Grom unit - your phone will prompt you to give access to the vline - agree - and you'll then be using CarPlay.

Every time you plug in your phone via usb - carplay will automatically come up on the screen.

I ran my USB cable to the console and removed the cigarette lighter to use that hole to route the usb. Super clean and works great.
Old 06-26-18, 03:17 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Can the car play work through WiFi? Music through Bluetooth also?
Old 06-26-18, 03:31 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

CarPlay only works wired.
Old 06-26-18, 03:53 PM
dry-fly
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve been emailing Grom back and forth at least 5 times since last Friday. Sorry, slight thread drift... I can’t get a straight answer if it will work with the Gen 6 Nav in my 2010 LS. Grom say’s “they think it will work”. I’m sorry but the unit costs too much to not know if it’s compatible or not. Has anyone been successful getting them on the phone or finding a phone number?

Thanks!
Old 06-26-18, 06:54 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dry-fly
I’ve been emailing Grom back and forth at least 5 times since last Friday. Sorry, slight thread drift... I can’t get a straight answer if it will work with the Gen 6 Nav in my 2010 LS. Grom say’s “they think it will work”. I’m sorry but the unit costs too much to not know if it’s compatible or not. Has anyone been successful getting them on the phone or finding a phone number?

Thanks!
I don't know the answer for sure - but they don't list the 2010-2012 as being compatible. I'm reasonably sure I read in the massive vline thread in the IS F section of Club Lexus that there's something different about that generation of infotainment system that makes incompatible.

You may want to post in that thread. There's a Grom rep that is reasonably attentive and can probably get you the definitive answer.

Last edited by rehr0001; 06-26-18 at 06:55 PM. Reason: added to the original post
Old 06-26-18, 08:15 PM
dry-fly
Driver

Thanks for the reply. I had a chat session with a Grom representative tonight. He basically told me the same thing, they are “pretty sure” the VL2 will work with my 2010 LS, but not certain. They did offer me a beta-tester discount, I’m stewing over it even more now!
Old 06-26-18, 08:23 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I had a chat session with a Grom representative tonight. He basically told me the same thing, they are “pretty sure” the VL2 will work with my 2010 LS, but not certain. They did offer me a beta-tester discount, I’m stewing over it even more now!
Keep us posted on this.
I have a 2011 and was told via email from them that the V2 is not compatible. Kind of a bummer but the vehicle is still awesome without the Grom.
Old 06-26-18, 08:51 PM
dry-fly
Driver

^^ Will do. Part of my decision is going to be made when I find a competent installer. There’s nobody near me except for Car Toys types. I may have to go closer to Dallas.
Old 06-27-18, 07:51 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

^^ Will do. Part of my decision is going to be made when I find a competent installer. There’s nobody near me except for Car Toys types. I may have to go closer to Dallas.
I don't know your comfort level, but the install is not difficult ..... there are some how to videos from grom that give you the step by step for installing the unit. I hooked it up and took apart the glove compartment to make it easier to run the GPS/mic cables. There's a glove box removal tutorial here, too. I took my time and did it in a few hours on a Saturday morning and I'm far from a technical person. There's not splicing or soldering - it's just plug and play.
Old 06-27-18, 11:05 AM
dry-fly
Driver

I installed a Vais Tech unit in an LS 430 I use to have, but the 460 is just a bit more involved than I’m comfortable with. Plus it’s 100 degrees here in Fort Worth, TX. I don’t really want to sweat for 2+ hours trying to do the install. I’d just assume pay someone to do it. Thank you for the vote of confidence though!
Old 06-30-18, 05:06 PM
dphennis
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed the Vline today Lexus LS 460 2007-2009 (without Self Parking Assist, Navi) and for some reason, it is not showing up on my screen. I did everything it said to do and I watched the video on how to install it. I did not remove the Nav screen but instead reached behind it to plug in the blue wire. All the plugs were plugged back in. When I hit disc to HDD it just shows a screen that looks like its reading a USB drive (says file name - Vline) So I know it's seeing the Vline..... Problem is I cant see it!!!! I messaged Grom but I won't get an answer until Monday afternoon. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Grom