LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Grom

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-18, 08:13 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by dphennis
So I checked the back of nav screen and I did put the wire in the right hole. I can get to the Vline screen but then when I hit disc twice it just takes me back to Vline screen. It never navigates to the grom home screen. Everything is in the right spot but it's not reading it. I will say that when I went to pull out the blue plug from the nav screen there was not one there. I read in the Vline manual that if one is not already there just plug in the male end and leave the female end hanging. I'm stumped
i, too, left the FemaLe hanging
Old 07-03-18, 08:12 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Received my Vline 2 yesterday and had it installed "professionally" today. They told me it worked for them, but couldn't download apps without logging in and didn't want to log in without my credentials. They said it looked and sounded great and loaded 5 out of 6 times they started it up.

I picked up the car just after closing hours so I couldn't go over it with them. Well needless to say, it doesn't work for me at all. I can't even get to the settings screen. Now it won't load. And my RTC mouse controls aren't working properly.

I hope it's just an install problem but fearing that it's a combo of errors.

Last edited by Mbbarron; 07-03-18 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-04-18, 03:32 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I’d love to believe it is a install problem for you, but I think it is unlikely. This is a very easy install and I’m sure a shop would have nearly no difficulty. I’m working with support on a WiFi issue and they continue to mention a startup fix that is coming soon. That may be what you need. If you’re in it for the long haul, I’m guessing you’ll be satisfied, but the short term is likely to be very frustrating. Are you an Apple user?
Old 07-04-18, 05:27 PM
dphennis
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I finally got my Vline working. I had to install some firmware they gave me. Now I'm getting a dashlinq crash report every 5 minutes that shuts down my Vline and then disables media until i turn my car off and back on. Also, I am only able to load 4 of 11 Spotify playlists. Glitch after glitch it seems.
Old 07-04-18, 08:02 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rehr0001
I’d love to believe it is a install problem for you, but I think it is unlikely. This is a very easy install and I’m sure a shop would have nearly no difficulty. I’m working with support on a WiFi issue and they continue to mention a startup fix that is coming soon. That may be what you need. If you’re in it for the long haul, I’m guessing you’ll be satisfied, but the short term is likely to be very frustrating. Are you an Apple user?
I haven't connected to WiFi yet (just tried a hotspot off my phone) so maybe that combined with the OTA update will hopefully solve my problem? I expected glitches but was hoping that generally the system would work with some functionality that presented some minor issues. Can't even get it working out of the box. Very disappointing but I'm in it for the long haul so willing to go through some effort to have updated tech in my new to me car. I am an Android fan.
Old 07-05-18, 07:40 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Update:
Bottom line... Got it working, but now it won't load again. This software is just not stable. Not even close. I can understand the issues I had before the software update they pushed out, but the fact that I had the system working (AFTER the software update) and then it just doesn't load the next 7 times that I start the car. What the heck?!

Here's my learnings...
RTC mouse becomes inactive on left side of the screen when the VLine system doesn't load. (Cannot figure out what needs to be in place for the system to load. I've tried a combination of it NOT being in AUX when I turn off the car, hotspot on before I start the car.)
If I want to unplug the unit to send it back and wait for a replacement, I will have a blank screen on the left side since the HDMI is now installed. Not going to live with that. If they can't provide another OTA software fix, then I will insist they send me a ready to go replacement and I'll send the old one back.

I started a tech support ticket with Grom and am waiting for their answer.
Old 07-05-18, 08:35 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

It's hard to believe that GROM would sell a product that is so unstable. You all should demand a discount as GROM is essentially using you as beta testers.

I thought Chris aka roadfrog was exaggerating when he insisted that GROM VLine is unstable. I guess he was right, after all.
Old 07-07-18, 10:37 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 195 Likes on 154 Posts

Anyone had good results yet. I am waiting for the pros here before I attempt mine.
Old 07-07-18, 01:12 PM
dphennis
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

besides having trouble making the reverse camera work i am having good results. i have a 4g hotspot on my phone that connects to vline every time i get near my car. connecting to wifi is no problem. spotify runs perfectly. make sure you download the apps(not plugins) make sure you do the updates and from what i see there is no need to run dashlinQ. I guess its like a remote for your vline and i have no use for ity. if you can connect a bluetooth keyboard. the one grom sells on there site is trash. go on amazon and get a good one with a tab key. at first i would have said do not buy but now that i have figured it out and have no issues with it.
Old 07-07-18, 08:42 PM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default VL2 problems

So new to the site, as I was looking for group therapy on my VL2. Was out of the country, and got back the day the 7/4 firmware load came out. Had some early problems with the mic, but was functional for a couple days. Then today started having weird problems with getting the unit to come on at all. Now not only will the unit come on, but I’ve lost my backup camera.

Not very stable. Making last ditch look for some common problem. If GROM can’t give me some help, then I plan to get an RMA and send back.
Old 07-07-18, 09:00 PM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Hmmmm?

No sooner than making my VL2 post, I was reading some other posts that talked about file issues with the microSD card. Hmmm, this got me spit balling on “what if’s”. I installed and formatted my microSD this morning with no problems, but my problems came later. Took a chance moments ago and removed the microSD card, power cycled, and everything works again, including my reverse camera. Still doesn’t leave me with a lot of confidence in the unit.
Old 07-08-18, 10:09 AM
dry-fly
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Grom is leaving a bad taste in my mouth, and I don’t even have the unit yet. They agreed to let me be a beta tester as noted earlier in this thread for my 2010 LS. Now I can’t get anyone to answer an email. Big pet peeve is not having a phone number for CS. After reading all the issues y’all are having, I don’t think I even want to mess with anymore.
Old 07-09-18, 12:15 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 195 Likes on 154 Posts

I noticed the 30 day return offer is for as shipped units. Mine is in the box. I requested a RMA today. Need a stable unit
Old 07-09-18, 12:57 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
I noticed the 30 day return offer is for as shipped units. Mine is in the box. I requested a RMA today. Need a stable unit
Are you serious?! If I had my unit installed and it doesn't work as I expected, then I can't return it (within 30 days)? I can't imagine that they wouldn't stand behind their 30 day return policy considering the issues being reported.
Old 07-09-18, 01:49 PM
Red97tj
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok I'll chime in since I just installed mine this past weekend. My car is 2008 w/ self parking.
The installation is pretty straight forward. Most of the time was spent trying to find a spot for the mic & the sat antenna & try running the wiring back down to the dash.
The first thing I tried to do was connect to it through bluetooth. It kept on giving me trouble (I tried turning it on on the VL2 & it would turn it off on its own) so I moved on to setting up my WiFi. I'm using a hotspot on my phone & was able to connect w/out issues. Then I went to load/update the VL2 unit. After about 4-5mins, everything rebooted & started working as promised. I was able to connect to my Android phone bluetooth w/out issues then. I've used it to let my kids watch YouTube so now I'm the coolest dad around...well to them anyway.
A few things:
1. No Pandora (comes pre-installed w/ Spotify) - wish it would have come it w/ but my work around is downloading the app & use it w/ my hotspot.
2. No Android Auto - no Android love here I guess. Still trying to see what I can do here...ultimately I want phone mirroring app that I can just use my phone through the screen.
3. I just checked on music streaming through BT. It can't connect. My phone can connect for phone calls w/out problems though. Guess I need to open up a ticket w/ Grom.
4. Backup camera works w/out any issues since I've installed it.

Last edited by Red97tj; 07-09-18 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Grom