LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Grom

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-18, 08:34 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlutrick

1) connects to internet via hotspot enablement on your phone or you can buy a dedicated hotspot
2) yes you can operate while driving, though be careful as it can be distracting
3) well my 2007 LS460 is 11years old. I’ve had 5 laptops and 4 iPhones during that time, so yes, the tech is dated. I have not found a way to economically update that, and be sure your contrast/brightness settings are optimally set. VL2 is a good alternative
4) have not found it. Let us know if you come up with something
Does grom sell a dedicated hotspot or if anyone uses a good one for the car let me know, I know there are tons of them around but would love to hear what you guys use.
Old 07-15-18, 01:30 PM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca
Does grom sell a dedicated hotspot or if anyone uses a good one for the car let me know, I know there are tons of them around but would love to hear what you guys use.
Not that I'm aware of. I would not buy one from them anyway. Get it from your wireless provider. The issue will be the additional data plan for the hotspot.
Old 07-16-18, 12:16 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Oh yeah and pics of how you guys mounted it would be GREAT !..
Old 07-18-18, 05:44 PM
dphennis
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

UPDATE. Mine works great. I use Spotify and Waze mostly. I connect to a 4g LTE hotspot through T-Mobile. Its unlimited for $25 a month. When I get in my car I just hit enable on my galaxy s9 and it automatically connects. Netflix will not work for me. youtube works, draftkings, and weather. Haven't tried much else. I drive 4 miles to work and back.
Old 07-18-18, 11:15 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dphennis
UPDATE. Mine works great. I use Spotify and Waze mostly. I connect to a 4g LTE hotspot through T-Mobile. Its unlimited for $25 a month. When I get in my car I just hit enable on my galaxy s9 and it automatically connects. Netflix will not work for me. youtube works, draftkings, and weather. Haven't tried much else. I drive 4 miles to work and back.
will this play netflix on the back screen? can you play something on the front screen and something else ... some other app on the back?
Old 07-20-18, 05:58 PM
dphennis
Driver

i do not have any other screens other than my nav screen. I thought about changing the rear mirrors on the ceiling with flip down screens, but have not done much research yet.
The following users liked this post:
jdanielca (07-20-18)
Old 07-22-18, 09:49 AM
dphennis
Driver

I cannot get my reverse camera to work with Vline. I'm wired correctly and when I plug Vline back in and turn my car on, my reverse camera works but Vline will not work. So, I do the firmware process and plug Vline back in. The car turns on and Vline works but the reverse camera does not. Anyone else having this problem?
Old 07-22-18, 10:34 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

I cannot get my reverse camera to work with Vline. I'm wired correctly and when I plug Vline back in and turn my car on, my reverse camera works but Vline will not work. So, I do the firmware process and plug Vline back in. The car turns on and Vline works but the reverse camera does not. Anyone else having this problem?
did you connect that red wire to the reverse switch wire (or whatever it’s called)?
Old 07-22-18, 10:56 AM
dphennis
Driver

yes i did.
Old 07-22-18, 11:23 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

yes i did.
Okay. Your unit is possessed.

Last edited by joedaddy1; 07-22-18 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-22-18, 12:16 PM
dphennis
Driver

it must be. Im not sure why it works and then vline wont work. but after i reset vline, vline works but reverse cam will not. strange
Old 07-24-18, 06:28 PM
dphennis
Driver

solved..... ok so I had the wire connected to the wrong harness. i know! smh
Old 07-26-18, 12:48 PM
Red97tj
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Red97tj
Ok I'll chime in since I just installed mine this past weekend. My car is 2008 w/ self parking.
The installation is pretty straight forward. Most of the time was spent trying to find a spot for the mic & the sat antenna & try running the wiring back down to the dash.
The first thing I tried to do was connect to it through bluetooth. It kept on giving me trouble (I tried turning it on on the VL2 & it would turn it off on its own) so I moved on to setting up my WiFi. I'm using a hotspot on my phone & was able to connect w/out issues. Then I went to load/update the VL2 unit. After about 4-5mins, everything rebooted & started working as promised. I was able to connect to my Android phone bluetooth w/out issues then. I've used it to let my kids watch YouTube so now I'm the coolest dad around...well to them anyway.
A few things:
1. No Pandora (comes pre-installed w/ Spotify) - wish it would have come it w/ but my work around is downloading the app & use it w/ my hotspot.
2. No Android Auto - no Android love here I guess. Still trying to see what I can do here...ultimately I want phone mirroring app that I can just use my phone through the screen.
3. I just checked on music streaming through BT. It can't connect. My phone can connect for phone calls w/out problems though. Guess I need to open up a ticket w/ Grom.
4. Backup camera works w/out any issues since I've installed it.
Quick update:
I now can smoothly stream music from my phone w/ the latest updates...Bluetooth connection is all good now.
Old 07-27-18, 11:06 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

why can't you use Pandora? The Vline is on an android platform, so anything you can download off of the play store is available (though may not be optimized to use on the vline). Make sure you go into settings and install Gapps if you haven't done it yet. That opens up the play store for you to download apps. Pandora (and all music) is going to sound a lot better when you stream over wifi through the app than if you stream to your phone and then again via bluetooth to the vline.
Old 07-31-18, 10:42 AM
Red97tj
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rehr0001
why can't you use Pandora? The Vline is on an android platform, so anything you can download off of the play store is available (though may not be optimized to use on the vline). Make sure you go into settings and install Gapps if you haven't done it yet. That opens up the play store for you to download apps. Pandora (and all music) is going to sound a lot better when you stream over wifi through the app than if you stream to your phone and then again via bluetooth to the vline.
As I wrote in my post #1, I finally download Pandora app on V2 as a work around. My point was other OEM.s & aftermarket head unit has Pandora loaded on it that just mirrors the Pandora on my phone so I can see it like the phone. Grom finally fixed the Bluetooth streaming so I can stream Pandora & Spotify from my phone now. V2 interface is not that fast or slick as the phone so I prefer to use the phone to do the heavy lifting & stream everything through Bluetooth.

Quick Reply: Grom