LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Drivers Door Mirror Folding in 60% of the time !

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-17, 07:34 AM
macdavid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers Door Mirror Folding in 60% of the time !

I had a customer call me about a 2007 LS460L outside rearview mirror that would not retract when entering the garage. Being a ""I can fix anything guy at any cost and time even though it usually cost me a lot of money"". Anyway. I took door panel off , mirror was pretty straightforward taking apart, one piece of advice is before removing mirror from car, stick fingers or plastic work sticks under bottom of mirror glass and lift up with straight constant pressure, when I say up like you had adjusted mirror all the way up like you were trying to reflect something off garage ceiling, you will think the constant pressure it is going to break it, it has 4 pinch holders onto a round white plastic piece. It will come off, I suppose you could heat it with a heat gun or hair dryer. I removed the cover first, do not scratch this!! set it to the side then removed the rest of pieces, Phillips head screws and 3 torque "25mm" screws underneath the rubber gasket that is between door and mirror. Look at top of motor there are some plastic clips that hold it in. The motor seems a little smaller than the door lock motors on a IS250, they also have the square shaft . Anyway, I turned it on with a battery and it was arching badly, dust all over it, small sparks inside. I noticed it was hard to get my little alligator needle contact set to stay constantly in contact with the plugs, it would turn on and off. I bent the plugs back tightly, cleaned the motor with nitrogen and spread the little plug in pins I cleaned the little motor out with nitrogen. I think the little harness loosened up and was not tight, that would cause it to work sometimes and arch the other times, it had a lot of dust from the magnets wear. I wish I had a new motor to just install a new one but the new motors I had in my toolbox were a little larger. Does anyone have a source on these smaller motors? The motors I have used on locks and other mirrors seem a little bigger. I could only find a few write ups on this repair, I guess at the end I should have just sold him a new mirror, the wait was long around my area. I Hope This Repair Helps Someone!!!! Again if anyone knows of a source on these motors please let me know. I also would appreciate a recommendation on a fleabay tech -stream for my shop. My Snap On Verus is very limited on Lexus/Yota vehicles . Thanks guys

Last edited by macdavid; 12-16-17 at 07:36 AM. Reason: language
Old 12-17-17, 06:47 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 323 Likes on 281 Posts

Good to know that the mirror glass just pops out (this is the case for most cars) and gives you access to whatever is behind it.
Old 12-17-17, 07:04 AM
macdavid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Good to know that the mirror glass just pops out (this is the case for most cars) and gives you access to whatever is behind it.
I should have been more clear, you do have to remove the door panel and remove the whole mirror assembly although I found it was easier taking the glass off while the mirror is still attached to the car then pull door panel and remove mirror.