LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Help, I need advice guys

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-17, 03:18 PM
Boomette
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help, I need advice guys

Test drove a CPO 2013 LS460L with 41k miles, luxury package, 1 owner, clean car fax, mint condition, and they're asking $39k. Is this a good deal? Anything we should know? Any advice about this year/ model car? We currently drive a 2015 GS350 that the lease is almost up and have been debating what to do. The GS has been garage kept and is in mint condition and the buyout price is $35k right now, so this is why we're torn and struggling to decide. The LS drives like a dream, but it's 2 years older than ours and the infotainment is dated/the older generation than my GS. Also there's a little whine from the engine that the salesman says is a LS sound (my GS does not sound this way). So we're very torn, but love the LS. Any experiences you've had, good or bad that we should consider? Thank you for any help you can provide.
Old 09-24-17, 03:42 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

There are a few LS owners who converted from the GS (I'm not one of them- I've always had an LS). Price is a little variable by market, but since it appears we both live in FL, I think I can help. First, the markets across the state are different. You'll pay more in the northern part of the state, especially J'ville, than anywhere else. Best deals tend to come in markets like Sarasota, Naples, and the SE portion of the state. Lexus of Orlando tends to price pretty aggressively on CPO's because they like to move them quickly (some don't even have pics make it online before they're sold).

In general, $39k for that car sounds like a fair asking price. L's are hard to come by and worth the extra $$ in my opinion (I have one, though mine is a 2010). The rear legroom is incredible for other adults and limits how much kids in car seats can kick the back of your seat. Extra touches in the L like the rear window shades and other rear seat options are pretty darn cool. I'd imagine you could probably shave about $2k-$3k off the asking price but not much more. I'm not sure about the "whine" noise - if there is another 460 anywhere near you, regardless of year, I'd go drive it and see if you hear it. With the car being CPO, you have extra peace of mind but I am on my 3rd LS and I'm not sure about the noise you're describing although it could truly be a difference in engine sound between the LS and GS. You may need to decide fast because the car might not last long- L's are pretty rare and the asking price seems pretty fair given the mileage.

I'd recommend you do some soul-searching and determine what kind of driving experience you want in your next car. If you are looking for something sporty that you can zip in and out of traffic, don't get an LS. If you want the most comfortable car on the planet to cruise on the highway and not be in a hurry to get around town, the LS is your clear choice. I just completed a 1,400 mile road trip in my 460L and it was absolutely phenomenal. 80mph in the 460 is silent, you have a killer stereo system (Levinson) and the LWB gives you a fantastic, smooth ride. Personally I am willing to sacrifice on things like the infotainment system in exchange for a plush and serene ride. I use my phone for nav and can stream BT in my car so I have all I need but I understand your feeling of maybe taking a step backwards in tech.

You're looking at the 1st year of the refreshed body style that also had a bunch of technical changes, but for the most part the engine (to my knowledge) is relatively untouched from the 2007-2012 460's. Things like control arms and brake actuators that impacted some 2007-2009 460's seem to have been worked out by late 2010. In short, I'd buy with confidence since it's a CPO and also since I'm fully under the impression all/most kinks were worked out by 2013. Keep us posted.

PS- what color is the car?
The following users liked this post:
Boomin (09-24-17)
Old 09-24-17, 06:25 PM
Boomette
Rookie

Wow, I really appreciate your response. I understand your recommendation and will test drive anther LS about the sound. Thanks. And it's starfire pearl.
Old 09-24-17, 07:41 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Keep the GS for a couple more years. You'll take a bath on it otherwise. On the 2013 car, above, the price is average and the "whine" is NOT the "LS sound". It's more likely a transmission whine which was an issue on some 2013, 2014 and 2015 cars. There's a TSB for this (replace the transmission mount insulator) but this may or may not get rid of the noise. If you really must have this car, I'd make them do the TSB and make a condition of purchase that the noise is gone. Otherwise walk away.
Old 09-25-17, 12:59 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

Holy

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Lexus/LS_460/2013/tsbs/
Old 09-25-17, 06:34 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

One more thing- I assume the car has air suspension. That will go bad at some point and if the car is out of CPO when it fails it will be an expensive repair, so if you buy the car I'd be mentally prepared for that to be the most substantial out of pocket expense you'd encounter. I think it's somewhere in the $3k range.
Old 09-25-17, 08:31 AM
Boomette
Rookie

Thanks for the info guys. I did find the TSB section that shows the "whine" noise (under Power Train section): https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2013/L...Communications

Still TBD, but if we move forward with it, we'll get this in writing - and we'll still test drive another just to be sure. When I enter the LS's VIN, there are no current recalls for this vehicle. And for clarify, the GS is a lease. So if we just return it, nothing else owed/lost. But to buy it now, it's about $35k (salesman said it's not worth this much?) and it wouldn't be certified (not a big deal?). So we are still considering the buyout - just was using our buyout price of $35k as a basis for searching what else is out there in this price range. The LS is $39k but hoping they would come down a bit if we went with it.

As for the air suspension - this model actually does not have the air suspension. So that's a blessing! (((((sigh...what to do)))))
Old 09-25-17, 08:57 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Pretty rare for an L not to have air suspension (mine doesn't have it either) but gives you a little more peace of mind about avoiding an expensive repair.
Old 09-25-17, 10:43 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomette;9990619But to buy it now, it's about $35k (salesman said it's not worth this much?) and it wouldn't be certified (not a big deal?).

As for the air suspension - this model actually does [b
not [/b]have the air suspension. So that's a blessing! (((((sigh...what to do)))))
It's definitely not worth that much. I see plenty of '13 GS 350s for sale under $30k now, so you would be overpaying by a lot.

I've noticed that way more of the pre-'13 cars have the air suspension. It's something I always check, because I would rather avoid it.
Old 09-25-17, 10:05 PM
rgs92
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you want an L? If you don't have reason for the extra rear seat room, there are much better values out there for the standard wheelbase versions. To me, it drives like a dream, better than my old MB S430.
Old 09-26-17, 01:34 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

I passed on it, its gone already too
Old 09-26-17, 04:44 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomette
Help, I need advice guys
Thread title fail.

That's why pretty much we're all here, bucko!