LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Buying extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-18, 06:32 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I’m not a DIY person and don’t want to be, so buying a CPO LS460 (and likely paying a premium for it) made sense to me. This was before the current L/Certified program took effect, back when the standard CPO terms were up to 3 years from my purchase date or 100K total miles, whichever came first.

Considering the repairs I’ve had, such as leaking shocks (no air), brake actuator, control arms replaced, I’m happy with the coverage.

I know it statistically and financially makes sense not to get an extended warranty — unless you turn out to be one of the stastistical outliers! “Piece of mind” is a subjective measurement, which is one reason why even after all objective facts are given, some people still buy extended warranties for this car.
Old 01-04-18, 08:36 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Gbp
I’m not a DIY person and don’t want to be, so buying a CPO LS460 (and likely paying a premium for it) made sense to me. This was before the current L/Certified program took effect, back when the standard CPO terms were up to 3 years from my purchase date or 100K total miles, whichever came first.

Considering the repairs I’ve had, such as leaking shocks (no air), brake actuator, control arms replaced, I’m happy with the coverage.

I know it statistically and financially makes sense not to get an extended warranty — unless you turn out to be one of the stastistical outliers! “Piece of mind” is a subjective measurement, which is one reason why even after all objective facts are given, some people still buy extended warranties for this car.
Regardless of statics or what people are saying, buying an extended warranty is great as long as you are happy with the coverage. It's your decision and your money. Thumbs up to you.
Old 01-12-18, 09:36 AM
clarence88
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, looking into getting a used Lexus LS 460 towards end of the factory warranty (under 4YRs/50K miles).
Are there any known Lexus dealerships which sell them at a discount? what are the options just 2 or 3 YR?
If you have a prefered 3rd Party Warranty company, who and how much

I will be a relatively low mile driver, so questioning if this is essential (Assuming the car I buy is considered to be in great condition)

TIA
Old 01-12-18, 07:41 PM
462HO
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a 5 1/2 year 48,000 mile extended warranty on a 2012 LS 460 with 54,000 miles from CNA for $2,500. It is their preferred plus product (most comprehensive) that is exclusionary and has a $100 deductible.
I have used CNA on prior vehicles, and they are good. I shopped many carriers.
If you find any auto dealership that sells CNA extended warranties, they can sell one to you for your Lexus.
Old 01-12-18, 08:20 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by clarence88
Hi, looking into getting a used Lexus LS 460 towards end of the factory warranty (under 4YRs/50K miles).
Are there any known Lexus dealerships which sell them at a discount? what are the options just 2 or 3 YR?
If you have a prefered 3rd Party Warranty company, who and how much
I will be a relatively low mile driver, so questioning if this is essential (Assuming the car I buy is considered to be in great condition)
TIA
The car you are interested in would qualify for an Lexus Platinum VSA. Please check post #s 33 and 35 in this thread for links to other warranty threads, and contact #s for Lexus dealerships that offer excellent Platinum warranties. There is an excellent discussion on this and other threads on the utility of a warranty for different types of cars, mileages, and drivers (and DIYers). Please read them carefully, and I guarantee you will find answers to your questions.
The following users liked this post:
clarence88 (01-12-18)
Old 01-13-18, 07:19 AM
clarence88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Correct. You came out of an X5 (as I did) as well as a 7 series, so I'm familiar with your position.

There is NOTHING on an LS that is constructed of Unicorn dust. It's simply not that exotic....unlike BMW where even the fasteners are unique requiring an order to Germany for the correct tool and a permit from the German Chancellor.

Electronics-wise...the ML system CAN be problematic, wherein the amp requires repair (about 500 dollars). That said, I've had no issues with mine and I play it LOOOOUD. Even the speakers have held up.

Could I be steering you wrong?? Perhaps....the call is yours. But engines and transmissions on our cars are pretty much bullet proof and parts cheap if you know where to get them (Rockauto, Amazon, Ebay etc). Based on your DIY and savvy...I'd be shocked if you had any regrets in not getting the warranty. That's not just my opinion, most here at CL would back up the argument.
Enjoying this conversation. I am having the same internal fight. I have a friend that has a friend (lol) who runs a Toyota Service Center. I am going to seek some advice from him. A little off topic, speaking about the ML system, how is it compared to the standard Lexus Audio? What makes it special? Also, do you have an opinion on 19" vs 18" wheels and the ride feel?

Last edited by clarence88; 01-13-18 at 07:22 AM. Reason: added comments
Old 01-13-18, 07:23 AM
clarence88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by comotiger
The car you are interested in would qualify for an Lexus Platinum VSA. Please check post #s 33 and 35 in this thread for links to other warranty threads, and contact #s for Lexus dealerships that offer excellent Platinum warranties. There is an excellent discussion on this and other threads on the utility of a warranty for different types of cars, mileages, and drivers (and DIYers). Please read them carefully, and I guarantee you will find answers to your questions.
Thanks. finding this whole forum very useful.
Old 01-14-18, 09:45 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

speaking about the ML system, how is it compared to the standard Lexus Audio? What makes it special?
Where to start? Well, first of all, it is DTS surround 7.1
It has nearly twice as many speakers (19). The amp is more powerful (450 watts). The speakers themselves are better quality. It is a true Reference System and has been in the top 10's of many an auto stereo review of the worlds best car stereo systems, by auto magazines, audiophile magazines, online reviews etc. It is a wonderful sounding system and blows me away every time I listen to it.
The following users liked this post:
dlbuckls10 (01-15-18)
Old 01-15-18, 03:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,545 Likes on 1,836 Posts

The only thing I would buy an extended warranty for is the air suspension. When I get to that point I will definately get one because of that.

As for ML the difference is subtle, habit it’s there. The system has more power, more oomph. Bass is much better, More clarity.
18 vs 19 inch rims. It’s a little hard for me because my 18s were on a coil spring SWB and my 19s are on a air suspended LWB car. This Time next week I will be riding on the same tires I had on the SWB car and can give better advice there. I do feel little undulations and such on the road more around town, but the tires I have on the car now gave me the same problem on my SWB car, I’m confident better tires will improve that, so, stay tuned.
Old 06-21-18, 03:51 PM
ABbirds
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do agree the ML audio system is very good. I play it very loud too, at around 50=volume without distortion!
Old 07-23-18, 09:37 PM
MGs350
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Not in the case of my 7 Series. In addition, so many fasteners on the BMW's are proprietary, often requiring special tools. Filters were more expensive, bulbs were ridiculous to replace, due to the unique sockets that they use in many of the lenses (backup, stop, turn etc). I could go on, but the Germans love to over-engineer things, to the point of being very troublesome. Even an oil change on it was far more expensive to do than my LS.
I bought my 2015 Gs certified at 45k miles which covers me until March 2021 then bought the extended vehicle service agreement which covers me for an additional 3 years for 1500. Basically I'm covered for unlimited millage until March 2024. Any thoughts?
Old 07-24-18, 05:21 PM
mikelaca
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had great luck with exclusion-only warranties, but wouldn't touch the inclusion kind, too easy to slide out of.
Old 07-25-18, 06:42 PM
PCG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I bought my LS I explained to my cousin my desire to buy an extended warranty. My cousin who has owned 7 lexus' explained to me that he has never had any issues with any of them, but if I did want to buy a warranty do so for one year, because if anything were to happen it would in the first year.

Before I bought my car the Lexus dealership never tried to push any extended warranty of any kind or any type of add'on's on me (I was intrigued by that). When I did inquire about an extended warranty the finance mgr. told me it would be $2200 for one year and $2900 for two years. In the end I did not buy the warranty.