LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Buying extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-17, 09:19 PM
ABbirds
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Buying extended warranty?

Hi,

New member.

This week bought the used 2012 LS 460 RWD with 51000 miles.

Thinking about buying extended warranty from Lexus.

Any thought and, what is the price range/years of coverage?

Thanks.
Old 07-16-17, 07:20 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by ABbirds
Hi,

New member.

This week bought the used 2012 LS 460 RWD with 51000 miles.

Thinking about buying extended warranty from Lexus.

Any thought and, what is the price range/years of coverage?

Thanks.
In short, I would NEVER buy an extended warranty on a Lexus. I won't go into details, because I already have in other threads. This topic has been hotly debated throughout the LS forum. Do a search and you'll find tons of info and pros and cons. There's currently an active thread in the last few days that gives details on costs for a warranty. I'll just end with this......ever wonder why a dealer makes more effort selling you a warranty than they do selling you the car? If so, do you think it's because they have YOUR best interests in mind? Same goes for ANY warranty - from TV purchases at Best Buy to AA batteries at Radio Shack.
Old 07-16-17, 10:58 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
In short, I would NEVER buy an extended warranty on a Lexus. I won't go into details, because I already have in other threads. This topic has been hotly debated throughout the LS forum. Do a search and you'll find tons of info and pros and cons. There's currently an active thread in the last few days that gives details on costs for a warranty. I'll just end with this......ever wonder why a dealer makes more effort selling you a warranty than they do selling you the car? If so, do you think it's because they have YOUR best interests in mind? Same goes for ANY warranty - from TV purchases at Best Buy to AA batteries at Radio Shack.
Exactly my thoughts...
Old 07-16-17, 11:21 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Technically, you can only buy a Lexus extended warranty on a car that is still under the original factory warranty or, if out of warranty, if it was bought at a Lexus dealership. But if you go to your local Lexus dealer and ask for the finance manager, he may sell you one. You're probably looking at about $2500 - $3000 for a 3/36 warranty.
Old 07-16-17, 01:33 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by jud149
Exactly my thoughts...
Little side story regarding the batteries at Radio Shack....When I bought my battery for my remote at Radio Shack (they're now called "The Source", here in Canada), I said the usual "NO". Then the salesman kinda smiled, leaned in and said, "ya know, if you have more than one remote for ANY car, we can't tell if it was the one for your original purchase or an entirely different remote, and it's only 1 dollar for the warranty". I enthusiastically said, "sign me up". Needless to say, it's paid itself off MANY times over, not just on my remote, but on my wife's CT200H remote which uses the same battery and both our spares. Chaching! (Yes...I'm THAT cheap).
Old 07-16-17, 04:09 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Depends on price.
As Keith stated, 3/36 for $2500 or more.
Got mine for $2500 3/25 after the CPO 3/100.
Mine was only additional 3/25 because according to Lexus 125k miles is the max.

Last edited by RayLS; 07-16-17 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-16-17, 06:27 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I think each individual is different...some want a warranty, some don't. Personally I didn't and I haven't regretted it since. But it depends...if you have the air ride, awd, loaded...yeah maybe it'd be worth it. I have a rather "basic" model (no air ride), the only things I've replaced in 156,000 miles has been the control arms, a wheel bearing and a blower motor. Total cost to me was maybe $900, but all those things broke after 120,000 miles.

Some people like the piece of mind of the warranty, I get that. Expect to pay $2,000-$3,000 for 2-3 three years and around 30-50k miles.

I will say this, one good thing about a warranty is that when you take it into the dealer the tech will look for every and any little thing to fix because it's a sure thing...he won't have to worry about trying to sell the work to you, it's guaranteed repairs and income for him.
Old 07-16-17, 08:55 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I think each individual is different...some want a warranty, some don't. Personally I didn't and I haven't regretted it since. But it depends...if you have the air ride, awd, loaded...yeah maybe it'd be worth it. I have a rather "basic" model (no air ride), the only things I've replaced in 156,000 miles has been the control arms, a wheel bearing and a blower motor. Total cost to me was maybe $900, but all those things broke after 120,000 miles.

Some people like the piece of mind of the warranty, I get that. Expect to pay $2,000-$3,000 for 2-3 three years and around 30-50k miles.

I will say this, one good thing about a warranty is that when you take it into the dealer the tech will look for every and any little thing to fix because it's a sure thing...he won't have to worry about trying to sell the work to you, it's guaranteed repairs and income for him.
Peace of mind and convenience.
I usually don't get an extended warranty but my friend advised me to get one since the LS is a little more expensive to maintain.
Funny thing is I always buy new and ignore the extended warranty.
My LS is my first pre-owned car and I bought the warranty.
If something goes wrong just drop the car off and they will check for all possible warranty repairs they could find. You also get a loaner car as long as they have your car. Not all dealers are bad. My SA tells me if it's not covered under warranty and advises me to go to an indy shop.
Old 07-17-17, 10:19 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

I purchased a Lexus extended warranty on a 2012 CPO and it paid for itself on one repair. I also purchased an extended warranty on my wifes Ford Explorer and never used it...... I buy them for "peace of mind" and roll it into the financed price of the car. You can ALWAYS negotiate the price on these extended warranties with the F&I guy at the time of purchase and I always suggest purchasing a Lexus warranty instead of a third party one.
I know the LS is a well made car but all the electronics and the price of Lexus parts scare me into buying an extended warranty..... But that's just me!
The following users liked this post:
dlbuckls10 (07-18-17)
Old 07-17-17, 10:51 AM
Robb92914
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends....if you want the peace of mind then yes. I spent like $2600 for 5 years 60k miles. So far only had the control arms replaced but its good to know that if anything goes wrong, including navigation, amp, and all electronics, it is replaced at no cost to me. Bought the car in Deerfield Beach...local dealer said I have a great warranty and got it for a great price. Also, I have a great relationship with the dealer (bought 2 cars from them) and very close to the advisor so will definitely get my money's worth before its up.

I got an extended warranty on my GS for $2200 when I bought it and had close to 7k worth of work done to it through warranty. Just bought a 2015 Yukon CPO and got the extended warranty on that too. I've had good luck with extended warranties. It really just depends if you want to spend the extra money for the "peace of mind"
The following users liked this post:
dlbuckls10 (07-18-17)
Old 07-17-17, 11:26 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I was resisting to post to 'extended warranty' threads, couldn't hold back........

Every 3 months or so, a newbie pops out with an 'extended warranty' questions. As expected, both sides pitch in with same exact reasoning they have been giving for past several years/months. No one shifts their position even as time pass by. I don't expect them to change positions either, just saying.

We live in google world. Search is our friend. It amazes me when a new comer post such question with no effort on their part to search and find. Even worse, many don't even update the thread with their end result/decision.

OP, for your help search box is located top right corner. Hard to miss...........sorry.........
Old 07-18-17, 05:49 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
I was resisting to post to 'extended warranty' threads, couldn't hold back........

Every 3 months or so, a newbie pops out with an 'extended warranty' questions. As expected, both sides pitch in with same exact reasoning they have been giving for past several years/months. No one shifts their position even as time pass by. I don't expect them to change positions either, just saying.

We live in google world. Search is our friend. It amazes me when a new comer post such question with no effort on their part to search and find. Even worse, many don't even update the thread with their end result/decision.

OP, for your help search box is located top right corner. Hard to miss...........sorry.........
I look at it this way...there really isn't much to talk about with these cars, its control arms, warranties, do it yourself oil changes, should I get my transmission fluid flushed??, my car makes a click sound when I step on the brakes, and data control systems. That's about it because most people are not tearing heads off, rebuilding rear ends or replacing timing chains, it's very basic stuff. There's probably 20 threads on batteries on this forum. Another 50 on control arms...and countless wind noise threads.

I could care less if someone wants to post a thread that has been repeated, there's not much else going on and the search feature doesn't always get you where you want to go (I find it's easier to find threads on this site by going to google, it leads you here, it's more specific, easier, faster). But then when someone opens up an old thread, you're going to get someone that will chime and say...you realize you opened a thread that's three years old right? I mean who cares??
The following 4 users liked this post by Doublebase:
Chuckinnj (07-18-17), clarence88 (01-07-18), DavidinCT (07-18-17), roadfrog (10-22-18)
Old 07-18-17, 07:16 AM
Robb92914
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I look at it this way...there really isn't much to talk about with these cars, its control arms, warranties, do it yourself oil changes, should I get my transmission fluid flushed??, my car makes a click sound when I step on the brakes, and data control systems. That's about it because most people are not tearing heads off, rebuilding rear ends or replacing timing chains, it's very basic stuff. There's probably 20 threads on batteries on this forum. Another 50 on control arms...and countless wind noise threads.

I could care less if someone wants to post a thread that has been repeated, there's not much else going on and the search feature doesn't always get you where you want to go (I find it's easier to find threads on this site by going to google, it leads you here, it's more specific, easier, faster). But then when someone opens up an old thread, you're going to get someone that will chime and say...you realize you opened a thread that's three years old right? I mean who cares??

Couldn't have said it better!
Old 07-18-17, 05:14 PM
ABbirds
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thank you all for the comments! I thought I did try to do a search before posting, perhaps that was before I registered as a member here and may be that's why I did not get information on "extended warranty" when I did the search.

I never buy or consider buying extended warranty before.....the reason I consider this time is because :

1)my mechanics told me the LS is very expensive to maintain, especially the control arms. He actually told me not to buy the LS when I brought it to his store to perform an inspection for me before I bought the car. He also said the LS is as expensive as the German cars when it comes to repairs
2)I read some threads here regarding the control arms and it does seem quite expensive to replace them....

I haven't heard from my local Lexus yet on the extended warranty.

Thanks again!
Old 07-18-17, 06:35 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Yes, the LS is as expensive as german cars to maintain and repair. Fortunately, it is generally much more reliable and less prone to breakdowns and failures than its german cousins.

Welcome to the club!

Quick Reply: Buying extended warranty?