LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Buying extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 06:09 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Well, a couple of questions.... is the warranty 7 years and 80,000 mile from the date the vehicle was first placed into service or from when you buy it? If the former, pass, if the latter, grab it.

Who is the warranty with? My only exprience with non-manufacturer extended warranties is that they went belly up after 1 year!

Given your capabilities on DIY, you should be good to go on most mechanical issues. I'd probably risk not getting the warranty as the other things (ML, NAV) are pretty reliable on the later cars (but expensive if they do give up). See if you can stretch to a 2013, if possible.
Old 01-02-18, 06:22 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Well, a couple of questions.... is the warranty 7 years and 80,000 mile from the date the vehicle was first placed into service or from when you buy it? If the former, pass, if the latter, grab it.

Who is the warranty with? My only exprience with non-manufacturer extended warranties is that they went belly up after 1 year!

Given your capabilities on DIY, you should be good to go on most mechanical issues. I'd probably risk not getting the warranty as the other things (ML, NAV) are pretty reliable on the later cars (but expensive if they do give up). See if you can stretch to a 2013, if possible.
Warranty quote is from Concord Auto Protect. Starts 30 days after signing agreement and runs 5 years from agreement time and/or 80,000 miles from my current mileage. Sorry I thought it was 7 years but looking at notes it is 5.

I am not really a fan of the new look on the 2013 LS460. I understand there are some additional side and rear warning features and a revised interior + Nav interface. I am curious,what other major improvements make it more desirable than the 2012? I really like the understated elegance of the 2012. I try to resist upgrade itis unless there is a very compelling reason. The bump to 2013 is around $10k

Thanks,
Old 01-03-18, 09:06 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Luscombe8A
OK, so I am not trying to start a flame war but would like to have a discussion about Warranties vs DIY. I am new to the Lexus product and this forum. We have had an RX350 for a couple years and like it. Traded a 2012 X5 35D for it. It has been reliable and currently has 55k on the clock now and has just needed oil changes, tire rotations and a new set of tires. I had the dealer do all this so far.

I am planning on buying a 2012 LS460 in the next few months. I am leaning towards an extended warranty but am open to suggestions as I do not know a lot about the cars. I am pretty handy and have the required tools, jack and stands to do pretty much what ever is needed for vehicle servicing. I do not have a hoist. My experience includes a ground up restoration of a 1974 Alfa Romeo Spider with many mods and performance improvements. I completely disassembled the car, stripped it to bare metal and then replaced or restored every component. The only work I did not do myself was the transmission, rear differential, head work, (race head fully ported) and the painting. Notable improvements included making a new wire harness with period connectors and modifications for electrical upgrades. I did get lots of support from the Alfa Forum and created a build/restoration thread there. It is essentially a brand new 1974 Spider. So I consider myself qualified to maintain a vehicle.

Now the concern I have with the LS460 is what am I not qualified to trouble shoot and repair and the primary failures I can expect over a long ownership. I have already decided on a RWD without the optional air suspension. I will hold out for a ML sound system which will include the Nav system. If I end up in an LS460 L, I suspect there will be more electronic gadgets.

I have read about the control arm issues, I think I could tackle those and I am not afraid of bearing replacements, brake system maintenance, rotor replacement or oil changes. What I am concerned about are the special items like the door and trunk closer, door locks, anything automatic, Nav & sound system, seat heaters and cooling components, sun roof and electrical motors.

I read a lot of comments about saving the warranty expense and handling the problems as a DIY.

How are y'all handling the special items I have mentioned; via DIY? Are you actually fixing them, finding after market or used replacements or just rolling the dice, hoping they will not fail? Or, is there very little failure of these items and no need to have a warranty.

I am comfortable with the mechanical repairs and maintenance. However, it seems that the parts alone for the special items could quickly exceed the warranty cost. I was quoted a 7 yr/80,000mile extended warranty for $2,600, all inclusive with $100 deductible.

Appreciate any insights or experience you are willing to share.
You are a prime example of why an extended warranty is likely (but not guaranteed), to be a waste of money. I have an 08 with 202,000 kms and have replaced the water pump and control arms. That's it. The water pump cost me about 50 bucks and took an hour of my time to replace. I also replaced my control arms to the tune of 1500 dollars...BUT that included all 4 shocks and a wheel alignment as well as a few other suspension items and ALL the control arms. I only needed to replace one control arm and a ball joint, but did them all, "just because".

In other words, I would be out several thousand dollars if I had purchased a warranty. My story is not unique. This is a common theme here at CL. There will always be the stories of those who "saved thousands of dollars of repairs". but in almost all of those cases, these "thousands of dollars" only apply to having the service and parts done at a Lexus dealer. Using an Indy shop and aftermarket parts (or even OEM), will almost always be cheaper than a warranty. In fact, I don't think there's any case here at CL where a warranty paid itself off if the member had used aftermarket and indy.

Last edited by roadfrog; 01-03-18 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-03-18, 10:26 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

OK, so I am not trying to start a flame war but would like to have a discussion about Warranties vs DIY. I am new to the Lexus product and this forum. We have had an RX350 for a couple years and like it. Traded a 2012 X5 35D for it. It has been reliable and currently has 55k on the clock now and has just needed oil changes, tire rotations and a new set of tires. I had the dealer do all this so far.

I am planning on buying a 2012 LS460 in the next few months. I am leaning towards an extended warranty but am open to suggestions as I do not know a lot about the cars. I am pretty handy and have the required tools, jack and stands to do pretty much what ever is needed for vehicle servicing. I do not have a hoist. My experience includes a ground up restoration of a 1974 Alfa Romeo Spider with many mods and performance improvements. I completely disassembled the car, stripped it to bare metal and then replaced or restored every component. The only work I did not do myself was the transmission, rear differential, head work, (race head fully ported) and the painting. Notable improvements included making a new wire harness with period connectors and modifications for electrical upgrades. I did get lots of support from the Alfa Forum and created a build/restoration thread there. It is essentially a brand new 1974 Spider. So I consider myself qualified to maintain a vehicle.

Now the concern I have with the LS460 is what am I not qualified to trouble shoot and repair and the primary failures I can expect over a long ownership. I have already decided on a RWD without the optional air suspension. I will hold out for a ML sound system which will include the Nav system. If I end up in an LS460 L, I suspect there will be more electronic gadgets.

I have read about the control arm issues, I think I could tackle those and I am not afraid of bearing replacements, brake system maintenance, rotor replacement or oil changes. What I am concerned about are the special items like the door and trunk closer, door locks, anything automatic, Nav & sound system, seat heaters and cooling components, sun roof and electrical motors.

I read a lot of comments about saving the warranty expense and handling the problems as a DIY.

How are y'all handling the special items I have mentioned; via DIY? Are you actually fixing them, finding after market or used replacements or just rolling the dice, hoping they will not fail? Or, is there very little failure of these items and no need to have a warranty.

I am comfortable with the mechanical repairs and maintenance. However, it seems that the parts alone for the special items could quickly exceed the warranty cost. I was quoted a 7 yr/80,000mile extended warranty for $2,600, all inclusive with $100 deductible.

Appreciate any insights or experience you are willing to share.
If you have tools like jack stands, wrenches, and did a ground up restoration of classic Alfa(I don't have anywhere near that experience) it sounds like you could certainly do the vast majority of DIY's for the common issues with the LS and would end up saving a ton of money over taking it to the dealership and buying a extended warranty. I don't really see any scenario where you would even break even or come close with a $2600 extended warranty if you DIY the common issues, especially since you are looking to a RWD with no air suspension. The only thing I could think of is the dash/panels melting or the DVD/nav screen going out and not being able to find anything on the aftermarket/junkyards but those 2 things are very rare on later models.

In your case with your tools and DIY experience and the available aftermarket I would not recommend spending thousands on a extended warranty unless you just want to give up doing anything yourself and want to rely only on the dealership for future repairs and even then I doubt it would be worth it in most cases.
Old 01-03-18, 10:39 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Each to their own. Extended warranty or not? Trust me if you ever owned a Audi, BMW or MB you would definitely understand the value of an extended warranty. I purchased my extended warranty on my used 2010 LS 460L for $2500. Yes, the 460 got great reviews and known to be very reliable and trouble free. I wasn't that lucky. Air shocks, wheel bearings, brake actuator, amp, folding mirrors and control arms all replaced under my warranty within three years. Using an independent shop or aftermarket parts on my three years old 460 was definitely a "no". If a person purchase a Cadillac why take it to a Ford dealer to have it repaired. Personally, no regrets on purchasing an extended warranty.
Old 01-03-18, 11:23 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Trust me if you ever owned a Audi, BMW or MB you would definitely understand the value of an extended warranty.
Except we're not talking about any German Marques. I owned two BMW's (an X5 and a 7 series). I would ABSOLUTELY buy an extended warranty on those......IF they were available. Trouble is, no one wanted to provide a warranty. Of course, when I bought my LS, they couldn't wait to sell me a warranty, because they knew they'd come out ahead. Heck even insurance on a BMW can be hard to get.

If a person purchase a Cadillac why take it to a Ford dealer to have it repaired
If they were cheaper, why the hell not? The mechanic at the Ford dealer is likely every bit as competent as the Cadillac dealer next door. We're not repairing the space shuttle here....a ball joint or a control arm can be done by anyone.

Look, I get it that the warranty works for you. It doesn't even have to make economic sense to get one. If you feel better with it...go for it.
Old 01-03-18, 12:28 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
Each to their own. Extended warranty or not? Trust me if you ever owned a Audi, BMW or MB you would definitely understand the value of an extended warranty. I purchased my extended warranty on my used 2010 LS 460L for $2500. Yes, the 460 got great reviews and known to be very reliable and trouble free. I wasn't that lucky. Air shocks, wheel bearings, brake actuator, amp, folding mirrors and control arms all replaced under my warranty within three years. Using an independent shop or aftermarket parts on my three years old 460 was definitely a "no". If a person purchase a Cadillac why take it to a Ford dealer to have it repaired. Personally, no regrets on purchasing an extended warranty.
Of course, everyone's choice what they want to do. There are always Indy shops that specialize in some types of cars. Some dealerships charge a flat rate for a service. So you do THIS, it costs THIS. Most Indy shops are by the hour, so something that would cost me $1200 at the dealer, will cost me $250 at a small shop. You could always bring it to a Toyota dealer, they will work on the car for a lot less.

I have a small place that I bring my cars to, very reasonable price, don't give a hard time if I bring the parts and do great work. This is the type of place you need to find if you want to keep things reasonably priced.
Old 01-03-18, 01:09 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I have a small place that I bring my cars to, very reasonable price, don't give a hard time if I bring the parts and do great work.
For the handful of times I've had work done that I didn't want to DIY, my local Toyota dealer did it....as you say far cheaper than Lexus, and I don't have to drive an hour to the closest Lexus dealer. For other work, there's a great shop nearby, run by two brothers who charge 65 dollars/hr due to low overhead and allow me to bring in my own parts. Fortunately, my LS hasn't required any trips to either, except for installing my control arms.
Old 01-03-18, 02:03 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by roadfrog
You are a prime example of why an extended warranty is likely (but not guaranteed), to be a waste of money. I have an 08 with 202,000 kms and have replaced the water pump and control arms. That's it. The water pump cost me about 50 bucks and took an hour of my time to replace. I also replaced my control arms to the tune of 1500 dollars...BUT that included all 4 shocks and a wheel alignment as well as a few other suspension items and ALL the control arms. I only needed to replace one control arm and a ball joint, but did them all, "just because".

In other words, I would be out several thousand dollars if I had purchased a warranty. My story is not unique. This is a common theme here at CL. There will always be the stories of those who "saved thousands of dollars of repairs". but in almost all of those cases, these "thousands of dollars" only apply to having the service and parts done at a Lexus dealer. Using an Indy shop and aftermarket parts (or even OEM), will almost always be cheaper than a warranty. In fact, I don't think there's any case here at CL where a warranty paid itself off if the member had used aftermarket and indy.
So what you are really saying is:

1. Possibility of electronics or other high tech stuff failing is very remote, not many examples of that happening, so don't buy the warranty to cover this possibility.
2. Normal "Known" mechanical failures like control arms, shocks, brakes, etc can be handled by DIY or indy shop very economically so forget about extended warranty to cover these items.

This makes sense to me.

Only issue; am willing to accept the risk of expensive failures that I can not fix or repair frugally.
I am trying to understand the risk and state the obvious. I came out of a loaded BMW X5 that cost me a lot of $ after the warranty ran out. I get that the Lexus is in a different reliability category.

Appreciate your input.
Old 01-03-18, 02:33 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

So what you are really saying is:

1. Possibility of electronics or other high tech stuff failing is very remote, not many examples of that happening, so don't buy the warranty to cover this possibility.
2. Normal "Known" mechanical failures like control arms, shocks, brakes, etc can be handled by DIY or indy shop very economically so forget about extended warranty to cover these items.

This makes sense to me.

Only issue; am willing to accept the risk of expensive failures that I can not fix or repair frugally.
I am trying to understand the risk and state the obvious. I came out of a loaded BMW X5 that cost me a lot of $ after the warranty ran out. I get that the Lexus is in a different reliability category.

Appreciate your input.
Correct. You came out of an X5 (as I did) as well as a 7 series, so I'm familiar with your position.

There is NOTHING on an LS that is constructed of Unicorn dust. It's simply not that exotic....unlike BMW where even the fasteners are unique requiring an order to Germany for the correct tool and a permit from the German Chancellor.

Electronics-wise...the ML system CAN be problematic, wherein the amp requires repair (about 500 dollars). That said, I've had no issues with mine and I play it LOOOOUD. Even the speakers have held up.

Could I be steering you wrong?? Perhaps....the call is yours. But engines and transmissions on our cars are pretty much bullet proof and parts cheap if you know where to get them (Rockauto, Amazon, Ebay etc). Based on your DIY and savvy...I'd be shocked if you had any regrets in not getting the warranty. That's not just my opinion, most here at CL would back up the argument.

Last edited by roadfrog; 01-03-18 at 02:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by roadfrog:
Luscombe8A (01-03-18), sha4000 (01-04-18)
Old 01-03-18, 02:40 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

I agree on skipping the warranty. What I'd do instead is put that money in an investment account and leave it there for any unexpected repairs. If there aren't any, then you have something to go towards your next car.
Old 01-03-18, 02:50 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Talking

Correct. You came out of an X5 (as I did) as well as a 7 series, so I'm familiar with your position.

There is NOTHING on an LS that is constructed of Unicorn dust. It's simply not that exotic....unlike BMW where even the fasteners are unique requiring an order to Germany for the correct tool and a permit from the German Chancellor.

Electronics-wise...the ML system CAN be problematic, wherein the amp requires repair (about 500 dollars). That said, I've had no issues with mine and I play it LOOOOUD. Even the speakers have held up.

Could I be steering you wrong?? Perhaps....the call is yours. But engines and transmissions on our cars are pretty much bullet proof and parts cheap if you know where to get them (Rockauto, Amazon, Ebay etc). Based on your DIY and savvy...I'd be shocked if you had any regrets in not getting the warranty. That's not just my opinion, most here at CL would back up the argument.
Chris,

Thank you!
That is exactly the perspective I was looking for. I am a bit gun shy. I will continue the hunt with renewed vigor.

Now I just have to figure out a way to execute a long distance purchase; PPI & test driving require some creativity before buying an airline ticket. I will reach out to some on the board when I find one I am interested in. Ideas accepted!

Gary
Old 01-03-18, 03:15 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

What I'd do instead is put that money in an investment account and leave it there for any unexpected repairs. If there aren't any, then you have something to go towards your next car.
Exactly. And this is exactly the advice that most consumer groups advise. Odds are you come out ahead, and if not, you buffered your service costs. At the end of the day, it's all a gamble. The warranty company is gambling that you won't need the warranty and you're betting you will. They're comfortably residing in multi-million dollar office buildings based on that bet. Who do YOU think comes out ahead?

When gambling, the house almost always wins.
Old 01-03-18, 03:49 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Exactly. And this is exactly the advice that most consumer groups advise. Odds are you come out ahead, and if not, you buffered your service costs. At the end of the day, it's all a gamble. The warranty company is gambling that you won't need the warranty and you're betting you will. They're comfortably residing in multi-million dollar office buildings based on that bet. Who do YOU think comes out ahead?
When gambling, the house almost always wins.
Chris' advice is perfect for Luscombe's situation. Don't buy an extended warranty.

I am not a DIYer, and with all the electronics and air suspension in my car, a Lexus Platinum VSA made perfect sense to me. I haven't had to use it in the 10,000 miles I have driven since the new car warranty expired, but I still have 65K miles and 7 years left on the warranty, so I may still come out ahead. The warranty is worth the peace of mind for me.
Old 01-03-18, 11:07 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
I agree 100% if I were to get a German or European car I would get a extended warranty unless it was really old and cheap. We are not talking about a German car though. I am a DIY guy, the person I was replying to sounds like a more capable DIY then me as I have never restored a car. I don't see any reason he should need to spend $2500+ for a extended warranty on the common problems of the LS when if something happens he can fix them himself for a fraction of the cost of the warranty in most cases. I also agree the LS does have too many expensive issues for a Lexus flagship, it is disappointing they have them and have not taken care of customers in most cases. A used LS is more of a gamble then say a 4th Gen GS, IS, or ES but I still don't see the need to spend thousands on a extended warranty if someone is capable of DIY, uses aftermarket parts, independent from what I have been reading and researching. I also just don't see the need to spend all that money at a dealership, they are not perfect, I have heard plenty of bad stories using a dealership too, Toyota and Independents are fine by me, Toyota has never failed me in taking care of my Lexus cars.

Quick Reply: Buying extended warranty?