LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Buying extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-17, 07:37 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Well, If they stay in business and honor all covered warranty claims, that will be great. Many 3rd party warranty companies are real stingy with "eligible" claims or, worse, go belly up after they've collected enough premiums! That's the advantage with a manufacturer's extended warranty/VSA - they should be in business for as long as you own your car
Old 09-13-17, 10:30 AM
ABbirds
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Westside Lexus in Houston finally offered me the Lexus Platinum extended warranty at the following prices:

8 yrs/100K miles = $4050
8 yrs/75K miles = $3325

Start date is 11/10/2012, so I have about 3 years & 2 months left. n/a the miles as I drive around 5500 miles/yr and current miles is around 51700

Looks like they don't want my business as the prices are too high compare to what you guys have.....
Old 09-13-17, 12:05 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

ABBirds, I think you are better off without the Platinum warranty. The price is too high for an additional 3 years of peace of mind. I have compiled a bunch of threads for you to consult. There are rates and contact numbers on some of these threads, so please go thru them carefully.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...est-price.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ot-to-get.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ggestions.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...sferrable.html
Old 09-13-17, 12:21 PM
ABbirds
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks AC, I won't buy it unless it is a real bargain.
Old 09-13-17, 03:21 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

ABBirds, your car is RWD and doesn't have the air suspension or ultralux package (how about ML stereo?), so you don't have to worry about the really expensive repairs on this vehicle. You can go to an indy shop or DIY for pretty much all of the major repairs on this car (control arms, cracked bushings, water pump etc.) on your car. So, spending 4K for 3 more years of Platinum warranty is unnecessary. Actually, I am surprised that a Lexus dealer even quoted you for a Platinum VSA offer when your new car warranty has expired.

I bought a Platinum VSA from Toby Rivers last summer at 49K miles on my 2014 fully loaded car (not CPO). I bought a 10 year/125K warranty for $4555 valid until Feb 2024. Given all the expensive things that could need repair in the next 6.5 years, I think this is a good investment for peace of mind. However, in the last 12 months since buying the warranty, I have driven nearly 10000 miles but I haven't had a single warranty-related repair. Well, hopefully, I will have some warranty repairs in the next few years to recoup my investment . Of course, the more important return on my investment is the peace of mind...

Last edited by comotiger; 09-14-17 at 03:54 AM.
Old 12-17-17, 06:00 PM
462HO
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good deal with CNA. I just bought one for my new to me 2012 LS 460 $2,500 5 1/2 years 48,000 miles. Car has 54,000 miles on it now.
I have used CNA on other vehicles and they are good. I shopped many , even calling their claims departments. CNA was top notch all around.
Old 12-17-17, 06:42 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

My extended warranty paid for itself between the control arms that failed and needed to be replaced and now the door panels. Both are issues that many thought were solved by 2011 but they occurred on my car. No hassles with the Lexus warranty.
Old 12-23-17, 11:31 AM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Carchex

Im not going to tell you whether to get a warranty or not. But if you're thinking about it I got a Carchex warranty for my 2009 LS460. A 3 year 36k warranty back in 2014 cost me about $2500. It's a bumper to bumper exclusionary policy. If you decide to cancel your policy early then they'll give you a prorated refund less any claims. My policy just expired and I had racked up over $10k in repair claims. The claims process was very smooth and they approved every claim. One time they had to send out an inspector to verify the repair but all other times they approved it over the phone. It's worth looking into them. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
dlbuckls10 (12-23-17)
Old 12-26-17, 03:39 PM
sillyboxer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who do I contact for refund on extended warranty?

I recently sold an rx450h which I had purchased several extended warranties on, including the platinum service warranty.
The car was purchased in 2015 and I purchased the 100,000 mile extended warranty. I sold it in 2017, with 28,000 miles on it. I also purchased a tire and glass warranty and the perma plate package warranty.I understand the perma plate warranty stays with the sold vehicle. However, I’m told the other two warranties will refund my money, or at least a pro rated portion. Who should I contact to inquire about getting a full or pro rated refund on those warranties?
Thanks!

Last edited by sillyboxer; 12-26-17 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 12-26-17, 09:03 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by wayman28
Im not going to tell you whether to get a warranty or not. But if you're thinking about it I got a Carchex warranty for my 2009 LS460. A 3 year 36k warranty back in 2014 cost me about $2500. It's a bumper to bumper exclusionary policy. If you decide to cancel your policy early then they'll give you a prorated refund less any claims. My policy just expired and I had racked up over $10k in repair claims. The claims process was very smooth and they approved every claim. One time they had to send out an inspector to verify the repair but all other times they approved it over the phone. It's worth looking into them. Good luck.
What went wrong with your LS to rack up 10K in repairs?
Old 01-01-18, 05:35 AM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
What went wrong with your LS to rack up 10K in repairs?
Replaced the following things with OEM parts done by Lexus dealership: all four air shocks at different times, power steering rack, front differential carrier assembly, wheel hub bearing.

I dont think I'm missing anything but it's been a few years. I know some people on this forum are staunchly against third party warranties. Their arguments are logical. For me personally it has been a godsend. I totally understand the argument that you could get all your work done at a private mechanic and probably spend less on repairs than what you'd spend on a warranty. That wouldn't have worked for me but it jas worked out for others. One significant thing that made my warranty experience really nice is that I always went to the Lexus dealership for service. The Lexus service consultant took care of calling the warranty company and submitting the claim and handling any back-and-forth (I never had to call anyone at Carchex). They obviously use OEM parts which is nice. And they always gave me a loaner vehicle which made life a lot simpler and easier. These days "simple and easy" are worth a lot to me.

Good luck.
Old 01-01-18, 10:47 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wayman28
Replaced the following things with OEM parts done by Lexus dealership: all four air shocks at different times, power steering rack, front differential carrier assembly, wheel hub bearing.

I dont think I'm missing anything but it's been a few years. I know some people on this forum are staunchly against third party warranties. Their arguments are logical. For me personally it has been a godsend. I totally understand the argument that you could get all your work done at a private mechanic and probably spend less on repairs than what you'd spend on a warranty. That wouldn't have worked for me but it jas worked out for others. One significant thing that made my warranty experience really nice is that I always went to the Lexus dealership for service. The Lexus service consultant took care of calling the warranty company and submitting the claim and handling any back-and-forth (I never had to call anyone at Carchex). They obviously use OEM parts which is nice. And they always gave me a loaner vehicle which made life a lot simpler and easier. These days "simple and easy" are worth a lot to me.

Good luck.
I figured the air suspension was the culprit. I am avoiding it in my search for a LS but those Sports are tempting. I think if 1 air shock failed on me if I got one with air suspension I would just go to coilovers all around, maybe do it before hand just to avoid the issue. I have not read about anyone having to replace the power steering rack, I am sure that cost a bunch too at the dealership. I have not heard of the front differential carrier assembly going either. That is a shame and disappointing you ran into all those expensive problems with a LS in less then 10 years of ownership. I would hope they got those issues ironed out by 2010 and 2011 models.
Old 01-02-18, 08:11 AM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Concord Auto Protect Extended Warranty

I'm researching extended warranty companies. Trying to do side by side comparisons. I will post them as I get them in.

First one to date is Concord Auto Protect. Anyone out there used these guys? They claim full coverage of everything with $100 deductible. Asking $2,600 for 5yr/80,000 miles on a LS460 which seems pretty reasonable.

I know the debate on whether to get or no get an extended warranty, I already crossed that bridge and am just comparing the companies, their coverage and other peoples experiences.

Comments on Route66 indicate lots of non-covered items.

I have not contacted Carchex yet but will today.

Last edited by Luscombe8A; 01-02-18 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-02-18, 09:15 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

If you learn to DIY common issues I don't think a extended warranty makes sense, DIY will save a ton of money. If you will not DIY and only use the dealership then it could possibly be worth the expense in some cases especially with older LS's.
Old 01-02-18, 06:01 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Warranties VS DIY

Originally Posted by UDel
If you learn to DIY common issues I don't think a extended warranty makes sense, DIY will save a ton of money. If you will not DIY and only use the dealership then it could possibly be worth the expense in some cases especially with older LS's.
OK, so I am not trying to start a flame war but would like to have a discussion about Warranties vs DIY. I am new to the Lexus product and this forum. We have had an RX350 for a couple years and like it. Traded a 2012 X5 35D for it. It has been reliable and currently has 55k on the clock now and has just needed oil changes, tire rotations and a new set of tires. I had the dealer do all this so far.

I am planning on buying a 2012 LS460 in the next few months. I am leaning towards an extended warranty but am open to suggestions as I do not know a lot about the cars. I am pretty handy and have the required tools, jack and stands to do pretty much what ever is needed for vehicle servicing. I do not have a hoist. My experience includes a ground up restoration of a 1974 Alfa Romeo Spider with many mods and performance improvements. I completely disassembled the car, stripped it to bare metal and then replaced or restored every component. The only work I did not do myself was the transmission, rear differential, head work, (race head fully ported) and the painting. Notable improvements included making a new wire harness with period connectors and modifications for electrical upgrades. I did get lots of support from the Alfa Forum and created a build/restoration thread there. It is essentially a brand new 1974 Spider. So I consider myself qualified to maintain a vehicle.

Now the concern I have with the LS460 is what am I not qualified to trouble shoot and repair and the primary failures I can expect over a long ownership. I have already decided on a RWD without the optional air suspension. I will hold out for a ML sound system which will include the Nav system. If I end up in an LS460 L, I suspect there will be more electronic gadgets.

I have read about the control arm issues, I think I could tackle those and I am not afraid of bearing replacements, brake system maintenance, rotor replacement or oil changes. What I am concerned about are the special items like the door and trunk closer, door locks, anything automatic, Nav & sound system, seat heaters and cooling components, sun roof and electrical motors.

I read a lot of comments about saving the warranty expense and handling the problems as a DIY.

How are y'all handling the special items I have mentioned; via DIY? Are you actually fixing them, finding after market or used replacements or just rolling the dice, hoping they will not fail? Or, is there very little failure of these items and no need to have a warranty.

I am comfortable with the mechanical repairs and maintenance. However, it seems that the parts alone for the special items could quickly exceed the warranty cost. I was quoted a 7 yr/80,000mile extended warranty for $2,600, all inclusive with $100 deductible.

Appreciate any insights or experience you are willing to share.

Quick Reply: Buying extended warranty?