LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Headlight Bulb Replacement- just completed

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-17, 09:53 AM
vb9594
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Headlight Bulb Replacement- just completed

All,

I just completed the headlight bulb replacement on my '08 LS460 and wanted to share some resources and learnings for the next person looking for this info. I heard all the rumors about how the front bumper needs to be removed in order to change the headlight bulb. Called two Lexus dealers, both quoted me around $320 to replace a headlight bulb. Needless to say, my jaw hit the floor.

So I started searching on this site and found this HUGELY VALUABLE video:
. Bottom line is the bumper DOES NOT need to be removed. You can absolutely detach part of the inner fender liner and reach up to do it. This video is invaluable, but there are a few details I want to share:

1. You will remove the front mudguard just ahead of the front wheels. There are a few screws and anchors you will need to remove, too. There are a couple screws in the middle of the fender as you look towards the top of it, too (from inside the wheel well). All you will need is a flathead screwdriver and a SHORT philips head.

2. You will remove the screws/anchors and then get nervous because it seems like the fender liner won't move. Pull hard, but gently, and you're in. You'll see how it snaps into place if you play with it a little bit. I'm attaching a picture that shows how it pulls back.

3. I'm also attaching a pic that shows the plug.

4. Finally, I'm attaching a pic that shows the back of the headlight housing. You're flying pretty blind. I had a hard time getting the bulb back in until I jammed my phone up there and took a pic. Suddenly, it became easy! you want the notch in the bulb to match the top notch in the housing. You also need to make sure the right side of the bulb is behind the wire as you slide it in. Then, you secure it by re-attaching the wire on the left side (looks like a paperclip wire).

The entire job took a little less than an hour. Will probably take 30 minutes the next time. Oh...and it cost me $47!

Thanks,

Brian
Attached Thumbnails Headlight Bulb Replacement- just completed-plug.jpg   Headlight Bulb Replacement- just completed-close-up-plug.jpg   Headlight Bulb Replacement- just completed-headlight.jpg  
The following 8 users liked this post by vb9594:
Bigsk8r (08-17-18), DavidinCT (04-10-17), Daybo (10-18-18), djkneekap (06-23-17), Jack111 (04-02-18), joedaddy1 (12-23-17), mjh7111 (02-01-22), yyymmm31 (11-04-17) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-10-17, 03:04 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Not that I need it now but, good to know... Kind of like the LS430 how to get to the fog lights... and as I can see on the video, it's the same here.
Old 04-10-17, 04:38 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Who here works at a Lexus dealer and can tell us the reasoning behind pulling the bumper (WHICH I BET NEVER HAPPENS) to change the light bulb? I worked at a greedy dealership but even this kind of bull never happened there. Taking a couple screws out of a wheel liner and reaching in to change a bulb is so easy.
Old 04-11-17, 06:25 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Even IF you decide to remove the bumper cover (which you don't have to), it literally takes maybe 10-15 minutes. I saw it done when my new-to-me '08 needed new windshield washer pump.
Old 04-11-17, 09:26 AM
vb9594
Driver

I called two local dealers. When I asked what it would cost to replace the headlight bulb, I was told $175. So my response was..."Is that installed?" To which he answered, "No, install is $145." It's absolutely incredible to me how they can get away with charging people $300 to $500 to replace a headlight bulb. Luckily, we have forums like this that allowed me to save $275.

Note that I didn't discuss with them whether they remove the bumper...but based on the fact that I bought a replacement bulb for $47, even the $175 they are charging for the bulb itself is extraordinary.
Old 06-23-17, 08:09 AM
djkneekap
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Was the bulb dead?

Great info. I'm about to replace both of my bulbs. My question is, why did you replace? Obviously, because it was bad/going bad but what were the signs/indications? One of my bulbs will come on and then shut off after a few minutes. I've read this is a sign of the bulb going and hoping it's not the ballast.
Old 06-23-17, 08:12 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by djkneekap
Great info. I'm about to replace both of my bulbs. My question is, why did you replace? Obviously, because it was bad/going bad but what were the signs/indications? One of my bulbs will come on and then shut off after a few minutes. I've read this is a sign of the bulb going and hoping it's not the ballast.
That's exactly the symptom I had - one of the bulbs would turn off after few minutes. New bulbs took care of that.
Old 06-23-17, 08:28 AM
vb9594
Driver

Yup- I had the exact same symptom- bulb would turn on for around 30 seconds, then shut off. New bulb has fixed it- no symptoms since replacement.

Originally Posted by djkneekap
Old 06-23-17, 12:00 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Most Toyota/Lexus cars have similar clips/plugs on their HIDs. Our two Prius cars have them. The Toyota dealer removes the bumper to change them - I don't (of course). Takes about 15 min to change a $20 D2R bulb that the dealer wants $600 for (I just changed the D4S in my IS250 - take about the same time). How can they look you straight in the face and tell you this?
Old 10-13-17, 06:34 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

This is exactly the thread I hoped to find. Last night my wife and I left in two cars. While I'm driving home, she phones me to say my drivers side headlight is out. I started researching and this very video pops up on my phone. I'm kind of a do it yourselfer on a lot of home projects. Not much on cars. This just might be something I try. Thanks for putting this thread together. I'm going to watch the video a bunch, order two bulbs and give it a shot. Cheers. Ron
Old 10-13-17, 07:11 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Just be careful where you source the bulbs if you want them to last. The cheapest you can find (non-name of fake-name) on e-bay or Amazon for about $12-$15 don't last. Expect to pay $30-$40 for good bulbs.

Or $120-$150 if you go to the dealer!

Old 10-13-17, 07:24 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Just be careful where you source the bulbs if you want them to last. The cheapest you can find (non-name of fake-name) on e-bay or Amazon for about $12-$15 don't last. Expect to pay $30-$40 for good bulbs.

Or $120-$150 if you go to the dealer!

Can someone take a look at this lightbulb and tell me if it's the correct one for the low beam. This looks like a nice price for an official bulb. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Phil...38.m2548.l4275
Old 10-13-17, 10:01 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Not to go too far off topic here. Can one access the "nike" bulbs easy with this method (as I can see it in the video) without takig the grill off? I found very difficult as I didn't want to damage it and I had a hard time even getting my hand in that little spot...

I still have one out and would like to replace it..
Old 10-13-17, 11:36 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
Can someone take a look at this lightbulb and tell me if it's the correct one for the low beam. This looks like a nice price for an official bulb. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Phil...38.m2548.l4275
I bought these bulbs on Amazon for $40 the other day and installed them. The exact same packaging.

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Not to go too far off topic here. Can one access the "nike" bulbs easy with this method (as I can see it in the video) without takig the grill off? I found very difficult as I didn't want to damage it and I had a hard time even getting my hand in that little spot...

I still have one out and would like to replace it..
I tried it by just turning the wheel but I felt there was not enough room to carefully place the new bulb in without potentially damaging it. I ended up taking the tires off which made it much easier. Pulling the liner back is not as easy as described either. Not a difficult DIY by any means but not a 1,2,3 and done either. I also noticed that I could wiggle the projector housing. Are the housings supposed to have that much play????
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (10-16-17)
Old 10-14-17, 06:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

That bulb from eBay looks fine.

However, if you’re replacing anyways I’d reccomend an upgrade to Osram CBI bulbs. Whiter output, better color. More money but it’s not that much more.

Quick Reply: Headlight Bulb Replacement- just completed