LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Headlight Bulb Replacement- just completed

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-17, 05:21 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Protholl
OK I've watched the video twice and looked at the pictures provided by the OP. It seems this procedure could also be used to install replacement fog-light bulbs as one of mine has gone poof. Am I missing something?

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you all (unless that offends you.. then I'm sorry)
Yes, you may use this procedure to get to the back of the fog light housing. I am attaching a photo of the rear view of the fog light housing (in red circle). This view is after removing the front tire and partially removing the front wheel liner. Hope that it helps.
Attached Thumbnails Headlight Bulb Replacement- just completed-fog-light-rear.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by yyymmm31:
DavidinCT (01-17-18), Protholl (12-23-17)
Old 08-14-18, 11:21 PM
mahad
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to bring back this thread. I was just wondering: to anyone who has completed this procedure, can you also replace the Daytime Running Lights / High Beams from here. Trying to figure out how to do that. If anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 08-16-18, 06:01 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by mahad
Sorry to bring back this thread. I was just wondering: to anyone who has completed this procedure, can you also replace the Daytime Running Lights / High Beams from here. Trying to figure out how to do that. If anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks!
In 2007 those lights are only reachable from the top under the hood. Its a tight fit to twist off the end dust caps.
Old 09-06-18, 07:27 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My driver side headlight went out yesterday. I had a spare 8k bulb that I used on my GS so I went for it.
It wasn’t too much trouble but the bulb fired up and then about 5 minutes later the new bulb went out.
It turned back on after a restart but then I could a vaporous looking smoke inside the headlamp.
is that a sign of a bad ballast? I haven’t seen a good write up on ballast replacement. Could it be just a dirty ballast?
Old 10-28-18, 06:07 PM
DSMLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the opportunity today to change these bulbs out on my 2008 LS460. I ordered 2 Philips bulbs from Rock Auto. Came very quickly. The biggest issue I had was removing the covers on the back of the bulb assembly. Especially the driver's side. I thought I was going to break it. Other than that, not really a bad job. I got a quote of 250 per bulb just for the labor at my preferred shop. Not sure what the Lexus dealership would want. It cost me 98 for both bulbs and about an hour and a half without ever doing it before. I'll take that over the 500 total quoted just for labor.

Last edited by DSMLS; 10-29-18 at 05:05 AM.
Old 01-18-19, 08:03 PM
Seejay
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info, folks. My car's high beam/DRL bulbs are very dim from DRL duty for the last 7 years and need replacement.
Old 10-14-19, 08:29 AM
gmanbox
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not as easy as it reads for my limited ability, but still worth doing

Excellent thread I wanted to contribute to for those still contemplating doing themselves, now or in the future.

Caveat: I'm a novice, not a car guy or mechanically inclined, do simple stuff around the house, change air & cabin filters in my cars and such myself but pretty much it.

This was wayyyy harder than the video and some of the comments. It took me nearly 4 hours, yes, four hours, for both regular beam lights. Call me slow but everything was painful...on an '09, screws rust, one was jammed; panel once remove screws, is really scary to force without the feeling you're about to break something; the gray/cup lid is hard to twist with such limited movement; the area your hand needs to get into to pull the bulb out/replace with, is super small, and my hands are not even that big. And the video makes aligning the bulb and successfully closing the clips look easy, they are NOT. And then I still have some broken clips (not all I removed were screws, some plastic). I'm super happy I saved by my estimate about $500 or more and I did it, but be prepared to almost give up.

Other lessons for others besides being prepared from the obstacles above:
1) like others have mentioned on clublexus, theretrofitsource.com is a solid place to buy. Very competitively priced, and you can talk to a real live person to choose the best option. I went with Morimoto's but Philips and Osrams available too.
2) Equip yourself. For lighting the area you're looking into, i used one of those LED lights that strap on your head (this isn't mine, but something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/GOFORWILD-Headlamp-Rechargeable-Flashlight-Waterproof/dp/B07KG5PDX9/ref=sr_1_16?crid=2T5OJK4M7OBCW&dchild=1&keywords=headband+light+led+rechargeable&psc=1&qid=1571066038&sprefix=headband+light%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-16 https://www.amazon.com/GOFORWILD-Headlamp-Rechargeable-Flashlight-Waterproof/dp/B07KG5PDX9/ref=sr_1_16?crid=2T5OJK4M7OBCW&dchild=1&keywords=headband+light+led+rechargeable&psc=1&qid=1571066038&sprefix=headband+light%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-16
).
What was huge actually as I couldn't get the slots on the bulb to go into the slots on the car (you're going on feel alone in a tiny hole your hand barely can get into with very limited movement if you're lucky), was an endoscope-like tool i had made an impulse buy on and had never used. Has paid for itself would for idiots like me, would highly recommend. Gets some getting used to, but to me was $30 very well spent after my past Sunday.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JZF3NJL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JZF3NJL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3) For the gray lid/cup that needs to be twisted open. Maybe I missed it in the thread/video, but it only turns like way less than a quarter of a turn. I wasted a ton of time thinking it needed to turn more, yet it only needed to be pryed open with a flathead since it's been stuck for 10yrs.
4) Be patient. We all have areas of expertise. And if this isn't yours, keep at it.

For the record, the 2nd bulb took less than an hour, so there's definitely a learning curve and for me. Both in getting a feel of when it 'fits', clips, and using the endoscope.

If anyone has a video or instructions on how to replace the high beams on a 2009 Lexus LS460, please post. I saw the same gray lid/cup as the low beams somewhat deep inside the hood near the sides (not to be confused with a shallower gray cup that's for the smaller bulbs), but looks like need to unassemble some hoses and move things around to get to. Might try that next with my renewed confidence!

Good luck, and thank you for all of the prior words of wisdom that allowed others like me to do it ourselves.

Last edited by gmanbox; 10-16-19 at 02:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mythicalni (01-22-20)