LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2010 LS Battery Issues Problem/Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-15, 06:36 AM
LSuxury
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 LS Battery Issues Problem/Please Help

Hello Everyone,

I am a proud owner of a 2010 Lexus LS460. Before that I had a 2005 LS430 for 5 years. Finally signed up for the forums and I am excited to be part of this community.

I linked my garage opener with the HomeLink in my Lexus. I believe I might have not done it correctly the first time and I left my car. When I came back my car barely turned on (took about 20 seconds). I drove to work and then I was unable to start the car at all. I jumped the car and it started right away. I proceeded to finish the HomeLink sync correctly. I woke up today again and my car will not start, I had to get it jumped again and this time it took about 10 seconds to start.

Please help. Do I need to replace the battery? Let it charge longer via jumper cables? Or its an electronic problem that needs to be addressed by the dealer?
Old 07-24-15, 06:43 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Welcome to the forum. One thing you'll learn is that there are ways to get diagnosis and repairs done cheaper and safely. Toyota is cheaper, some independents cheaper yet, auto parts chains offer free battery and charging system checks and free installation.
I hope it's a coincidence that it occurred right after Homelink.
Old 07-24-15, 07:25 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by LSuxury
Hello Everyone,

I am a proud owner of a 2010 Lexus LS460. Before that I had a 2005 LS430 for 5 years. Finally signed up for the forums and I am excited to be part of this community.

I linked my garage opener with the HomeLink in my Lexus. I believe I might have not done it correctly the first time and I left my car. When I came back my car barely turned on (took about 20 seconds). I drove to work and then I was unable to start the car at all. I jumped the car and it started right away. I proceeded to finish the HomeLink sync correctly. I woke up today again and my car will not start, I had to get it jumped again and this time it took about 10 seconds to start.

Please help. Do I need to replace the battery? Let it charge longer via jumper cables? Or its an electronic problem that needs to be addressed by the dealer?
Welcome to Club Lexus. We are glad to have you as a member.

I am sure you will get lots of good advice here regarding your "dead" battery. I think "swfla's" advice above is very good.

I think the first thing you should do is have your battery charged and tested by a reputable battery dealer. You may have to remove your battery from your car to do that. Charging can take up to 24 hours. If the battery dealer determines that your battery has reached the end of its life then replacing the battery is the thing to do - typically less than $200.

If the battery is not defective than you will have to find out why it is being discharged. Possibilities range from a defective charging system to something as simple as a defective doorjamb switch. As a long time observer of problem reports in this forum, I have noted that there have been very few or possibly no, reports of charging system problems. The only common cause, other than operator error, of discharged batteries has been the doorjamb switch on the driver's door.

We have discussed the defective doorjamb switch problem in several threads here. You should be able to gain some insight about that condition by following this link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...rning-off.html
Old 07-24-15, 08:45 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

As jmcraney stated, have your battery load-tested first and go from there. FWIW, I replaced my battery on sale for 100 dollars with an AC Delco Professional series and it comes with a fantastic warranty.
Old 07-24-15, 10:57 AM
LSuxury
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. I will defenitely get my battery tested today. However, I still think the homelink drained the battery in the first place. When I got in the car and it was off the red syncing light was flashing. So that makes me think it caused the problem. Now that everything is synced, I am hoping a new battery or a recharge will fix the problem. So it doesnt drain it again.
Old 07-24-15, 11:34 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

You didn't mention the flashing red light until now. That would make me suspicious as well. But, the computers can make diagnosis less than straight forward. I'd still have the battery tested for free unless you have to drive way out of your way to do it. If that's the case, I'd talk to Toyota to see if they can do the diagnosis. The parts are made by Toyota for Lexus. Otherwise Lexus can certainly diagnose the issue. Just be prepared for possible price shock if you are out of warranty.
Old 07-24-15, 12:51 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Thanks guys. I will defenitely get my battery tested today. However, I still think the homelink drained the battery in the first place. When I got in the car and it was off the red syncing light was flashing. So that makes me think it caused the problem. Now that everything is synced, I am hoping a new battery or a recharge will fix the problem. So it doesnt drain it again.
Please let me assure you that it is very unlikely that the HomeLink could drain the battery. If your battery is "good" and it is fully charged and then becomes "drained" you need to be thinking DOORJAMB SWITCH.
Old 07-24-15, 02:28 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Welcome. I too had an 05 LS430 and upgraded to the 460. Shortly after I got mine, my car wouldn't crank. A friend jumped me and I took off to the local Autozone store. Sure enough, my car had the original battery and was DOA. A quick $100 and I was back on the road. Have it tested.
Old 07-25-15, 03:49 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Welcome to CL.

Bet you anything you find out it's the battery. If there is a drain, it almost certainly is the door jamb switch. The car would have to sit idle for many months for Homelink to drain it, if ever.
Old 07-25-15, 07:15 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Have your battery tested because you probably need a new battery.
Old 08-07-15, 08:44 AM
LSuxury
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the delayed response. But yes indeed it was the battery. The old Lexus battery was from 2013. So its surprising it went out so fast.

I got a better battery this time and everything is running smoothly.

Thanks for everyones input. I guess it probably died on its own and it was not the HomeLink. Which was just a coincidence.
Old 08-07-15, 09:03 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Sorry for the delayed response. But yes indeed it was the battery. The old Lexus battery was from 2013. So its surprising it went out so fast.

I got a better battery this time and everything is running smoothly.

Thanks for everyones input. I guess it probably died on its own and it was not the HomeLink. Which was just a coincidence.
It was probably the bad batch of interstate batteries they are supplying that have a history of failing prematurely.

Last edited by Devh; 08-07-15 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-07-15, 12:15 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm still limping alone on the original Panasonic in my 2010.
Old 08-07-15, 01:16 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
I'm still limping alone on the original Panasonic in my 2010.
I have seen those Panasonic batteries limp a long for a very long time before they quit.
Optima batteries give up unexpectedly and sadly the Lead acid interstate.