LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Key fob on engine start button?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-14, 04:01 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key fob on engine start button?

I tried a search but didn't find my answer.

Just recently my car would not detect my key fob. I could lock/unlock with it but when I tried to start the engine, nothing. The car said "depress brakes and push the start button with key fob." After I did that, it started normally. I thought it was a one time thing but its happening pretty frequently.

I thought it might have been the battery but I just changed it a month ago and never had an issue until today.
Old 04-27-14, 04:16 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Change the battery in the key fob again. Not sure why its opening the doors but I'd do that first.
Old 04-27-14, 05:19 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Grouchy
I tried a search but didn't find my answer.

Just recently my car would not detect my key fob. I could lock/unlock with it but when I tried to start the engine, nothing. The car said "depress brakes and push the start button with key fob." After I did that, it started normally. I thought it was a one time thing but its happening pretty frequently.

I thought it might have been the battery but I just changed it a month ago and never had an issue until today.
So are you saying it will only start if you depress the brake like it says to do on the cluster? If so then that's normal. Or are you saying when you put the key fob on the start button it will start. Kind of confusing the way you wrote it
Old 04-27-14, 05:52 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lbintab
So are you saying it will only start if you depress the brake like it says to do on the cluster? If so then that's normal. Or are you saying when you put the key fob on the start button it will start. Kind of confusing the way you wrote it
I'm a bit confused myself.

What I was trying to say, was that I had to push my engine start button, with the key fob. After a few seconds, it went back to normal. It seemed like it was reprogramming the fob with my car.

As I mentioned before, I thought it was the battery. I changed the battery in my key fob over a month ago and never had an issue.
Old 04-27-14, 06:28 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you use the key fob a lot it probably discharged the battery. I would check the battery on the fob again
Old 04-27-14, 06:39 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SBlexus
If you use the key fob a lot it probably discharged the battery. I would check the battery on the fob again
Weird. I don't normally use the fob to open the car. I only changed the battery when the console said so. Never had an issue until today.
Old 04-27-14, 06:43 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Weird. I don't normally use the fob to open the car. I only changed the battery when the console said so. Never had an issue until today.
Maybe the battery you bought was on the shelf for awhile, I would check the date on the battery pack the next time I purchase one.
Old 04-28-14, 10:01 AM
shrikelex
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just happened to open up the Manuals and honestly I hate reading those things, but lets ask the question have you recently started placing your FOB by your TV, Radio, Stereo or anything that is electronic? if so it may be prematurely discharging the battery also. Now this is according to the manual so just saying, something to think about.
Old 04-28-14, 11:18 AM
Grouchy
Pole Position

My keys are usually on my table. It just recently happened after I valeted my car. I wonder if something happened when they put my keys in their box.

This is what the car says when I try to start it. If the battery was discharging or low, wouldn't the car inform me the battery was dead? That's how I knew the first time. The car unlocks and locks fine with the fob, but for some reason its not detecting it when I try to star the car.
Old 04-28-14, 12:30 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Just replace the battery.again - you got a bad one.

When you hear hoof beats, look for horses - not zebras!
Old 04-28-14, 06:30 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Just because you DON'T push the button to unlock the doors, the battery is used slightly to engage the proximity sensor. Each time you walk by the car, the interior and puddle lights come on...there, you just used the fob battery. When you press the start/stop button, there again, the car senses the fob and uses the fob battery again.