LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 vs Cadillac XTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-14, 12:25 PM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default LS460 vs Cadillac XTS

I have a 2007 LS460 with 90k miles that I am planning to upgrade. My local Lexus dealer has a 2013 Cadillac XTS with only 3k miles priced in the mid $30's. On paper (and photos) the XTS appears to be a legitimate alternative to an LS460 at a much lower price (a low mileage newer LS460 will cost $50k+). Does anyone have any experience or perspective on how the LS460 would compare to an XTS over the short and long term? Most likely if I drove it I would like it but how would it hold up over time? Is Cadillac reliability as good as recent reports? Approaching Lexus reliability? For $35k, I am looking at an almost brand new Cadillac XTS or a 2010 LS460 with 50k miles.
Old 04-04-14, 12:37 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you might have to drive it and see if you like it. I have seen em they look nice but are they nicer than the cts and will you like cadillacs characteristics???? I would look at other forums and see if there are any issues..
Old 04-04-14, 03:26 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

All other things being equal (age, mileage), there's a reason the LS450 is more expensive..............

Old 04-04-14, 04:37 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Every Cadillac I've ever been in and looked at, have been nice from far away. Inside they were no different from any other GM car as far as fit and finish go. But that's my opinion. I'd much rather have an older LS over anything GM.

That said, I don't think I would upgrade from an 07 to a 10. At 90k miles, your 07 is still being broken in.
Old 04-04-14, 05:06 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Tell me about it. If you want to buy American then I would say yes but other then that it's like comparing cheap and unreliable vs refined and sophisticated.
Old 04-04-14, 05:42 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
All other things being equal (age, mileage), there's a reason the LS450 is more expensive..............

Dang it...ya stole my thunder.

I was just at the Vancouver International Auto show and looked at a lot of "comparable" vehicles to the LEXUS', but none WERE comparable, least of all the Cadillacs. At the end of the day, it really did look like a gussied up Chevrolet. Before you say that the Lex is just a fancy Toyota, no it really is not. You will find the caddy to be cheap-feeling. Look at the details and you'll see, right down to the feel and sound of the door closing.

Same with the Hyundai Equus and Genesis. Half the cost, but you quickly see why. My wife agreed, and she's VERY good at this sort of thing (noticing details). The German brands were the only cars that truly felt comparable, but far more money and far less reliable and costlier to repair.
Old 04-04-14, 06:08 PM
shrikelex
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Knowing how American cars handle, if I had to buy one and my choice was limited to GM, it would be a nice new Impala V8/V6 with tons of goodies. If I had more flexibility I personally would go Mopar before a Cadi, I love the Chargers and would get one with a sick package, the last one I looked at the dealer told me they'd throw in a full lifetime warranty no additional charge and it covered everything including the tranny.

Last edited by shrikelex; 04-04-14 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-05-14, 02:45 AM
philj
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because I have no life I looked at that car online and read a bunch of reviews.

This first new XTS was not well reviewed.

I predict that the Lexus is more reliable and that the total cost of ownership in money and stress will be less.

For the people who do not like our NAV interface the XTS is better however.
Old 04-05-14, 03:28 PM
LexFather

The XTS is competition with the Acura RLX..both are FWD, V-6 and offer AWD. The LS is a premium D class flagship ala S-class, 7 series, A8 etc.

The XTS is a very nice car, but no LS thus why its priced less, it should be.
Old 04-05-14, 05:03 PM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, I went and drove the XTS. Very nice car. If I did not own an LS, I would really like it. But (as ther other wise men above have correctly stated), the XTS is no LS. My LS is a much better riding, handling, and looking car at 7 years old and 90k miles than the nearly new XTS. No comparasion. So my only real option is to upgrade to a newer LS. I would keep mine but it has the dreaded wind noise issue that was not resolved with the McRaney fix (I did it precisely per directions and made no difference). Having previously owned LS400 and 430's that were very quiet, the wind noise on my 460 is very noticeable and takes away from the overall experience of the 460. I guess I will look at newer 460's.
Old 04-05-14, 08:40 PM
shrikelex
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by waynedog
Well, I went and drove the XTS. Very nice car. If I did not own an LS, I would really like it. But (as ther other wise men above have correctly stated), the XTS is no LS. My LS is a much better riding, handling, and looking car at 7 years old and 90k miles than the nearly new XTS. No comparasion. So my only real option is to upgrade to a newer LS. I would keep mine but it has the dreaded wind noise issue that was not resolved with the McRaney fix (I did it precisely per directions and made no difference). Having previously owned LS400 and 430's that were very quiet, the wind noise on my 460 is very noticeable and takes away from the overall experience of the 460. I guess I will look at newer 460's.
Newer LS, ahh that's the ticket I never hear any wind noise in my 08, I do however hear my Girlfriend mouth yacking all the time, thankfully there's my ML system to override that
Old 04-05-14, 10:56 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive been in over a hundred vehicles and while a lot are impressive, have their own perks, a few things here and there that the LS might not have, when it comes down to it long term the LS is the best car by far its the complete package with very little comprimise.
Old 02-18-15, 04:05 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Reviving an old thread as I have a LS460 and happened to spend a week in a 2013 XTS (rental from Enterprise, a AWD with 27k miles)

XTS wins on technology integration, being a newer car their navi/audio/BT ease of use and options clearly outclasses an older LS

Other than that, however, I faced some visibility issues when looking at the back (smaller window due to streamlined design), my driving experience in the XTS reminded me of a 2014 Impala I recently drove..turns out same chassis and same power train. XTS also powered by a capable but underwhelming 3.6L V6 (common GM engine across many cars like the SRX, Impala, Lacrosse, etc) whose sole benefit was able to take regular gas and not premium.

Lastly with 27k miles it was significantly noisier and "rougher" than my LS with 100k miles, which forebodes how this car will fare after several years of ownership.

KBB recently ranked the XTS among the worst in depreciation (to follow the lineage of the Deville and DTS I assume) but it is a nice GM car...used ones range in the high $20s nowadays. Not comparable to a LS, however worthy if comparing to a MKZ or something...
Old 02-18-15, 05:22 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

the Lexus is made in Japan v the Cadillac is made in the USA ,,,, end of story . Lexus by a country mile
Old 02-18-15, 06:27 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I've waited for over 40 years for America to wake up and join the true luxury division. While a Cadillac is as good as American automotive gets, it still doesn't feel the same as Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti and Acura. I've driven them all and for me Lexus IS my ride.

Quick Reply: LS460 vs Cadillac XTS