LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Removing dome light cover - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-10, 08:52 AM
daryltrinh
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Removing dome light cover - HELP

Does anyone know how to remove the dome light cover?

Removing the front tabs was simple, but the back seems too stiff to pull out.
Feels like I'm going to crack the cover before removing the cover.

Thx guys.
Old 01-22-10, 04:12 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

im not aware that the lens comes out.

In the service manual it shows two screws (under a plastic flip up cover) in the eyeglass compartment, you take those out and it drops down and the bulbs go in from the back.
Old 03-12-16, 02:27 AM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Did anyone confirm if removing the screws in the sunglass compartment works? I bought some LEDs to replace my dome lights and want to do this correctly. Thanks.
Old 03-12-16, 06:26 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Remove the two screws as per post #2 and gentley pry down the assembly....... Bulbs are removed from the inside.
Old 03-12-16, 02:48 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

The cover has to come off somehow though right? It's clearly snapped in as there is a fair amount of give from what I've seen. I just haven't tried it because the tolerances are so tight I don't have a slim enough tool to not mar the housing.
Old 03-13-16, 07:56 AM
My1998LS40
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to use a little force to get mine off. They do just pop out but, I ended up putting two indentations on the housing. These covers are on there very tight. There weren't any screws or bolts to take off, at least in mine, 2013 LS.
Old 03-13-16, 08:15 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

I just looked at All-Data and they have removal instructions that show 2 screws located under the "flip covers."
TIP! I highly suggest buying some of the plastic pry bars from Harbor Freight (or any other company) to use on prying plastic parts instead of using screw drivers, forks, knives, etc. that may damage the plastic, these are a "must have" tool for anyone who works on their own cars.
Old 03-13-16, 08:56 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I just popped mine off. They came off very easily.
Old 03-14-16, 10:14 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yep, just pop em off. I used a smooth butter knife.
Old 03-15-16, 01:24 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Post up pics if you take it off so we can see where the tabs are. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
hankS (12-21-20)
Old 06-23-23, 06:24 PM
chuck58
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m in the middle of replacing my incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs. The way I understand others have described how to remove this cover, is NOT how it works on my cover. I simply took a trim removal tool, slipped it between the seam of the opaque cover, and the plastic housing, pry gently & the cover will come off. No need to remove the panel screws under the flip up tab(s) in the glasses case.

As you can see in the upper left and right corners, there are two other screws that must be taken out to get this assembly down….BUT there’s no need to take the assembly down, simply take the opaque light cover lens off with a trim pry tool. At least that’s the way it works on my -430. I attempted this task in the way earlier described in this thread, and nearly tore some things up. You will need a trim removal tool and if you don’t have one, I have a suggest you get one, so you don’t tear up your car. I’ll try to attach a photo of the assembly with the lens cover off.

Last edited by chuck58; 06-23-23 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-23-23, 06:51 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

It looks damaged to me. Taking the screws out would avoid that damage.

Last edited by swfla; 06-23-23 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-23-23, 10:17 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Has anybody installed dongar technologies adapter in this? Does the housing needs to come off to install the adapter? I can't find any cables on the black plastic trim that houses the rain sensor.
I gotta put a dashcam.
Old 06-23-23, 10:18 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck58
I’m in the middle of replacing my incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs. The way I understand others have described how to remove this cover, is NOT how it works on my cover. I simply took a trim removal tool, slipped it between the seam of the opaque cover, and the plastic housing, pry gently & the cover will come off. No need to remove the panel screws under the flip up tab(s) in the glasses case.

As you can see in the upper left and right corners, there are two other screws that must be taken out to get this assembly down….BUT there’s no need to take the assembly down, simply take the opaque light cover lens off with a trim pry tool. At least that’s the way it works on my -430. I attempted this task in the way earlier described in this thread, and nearly tore some things up. You will need a trim removal tool and if you don’t have one, I have a suggest you get one, so you don’t tear up your car. I’ll try to attach a photo of the assembly with the lens cover off.

Yes I did install the white LEDs in mine. Only the cover needs to be removed.
Old 06-24-23, 08:43 AM
chuck58
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
It looks damaged to me. Taking the screws out would avoid that damage.
Clearly, you posses a PhD in The Obvious.
That’s the point of my post….hopefully the next guy won’t booger up his trim with incomplete / incorrect information, and dink up the trim the way I did. And respectfully, taking out the screws (the ones obscured by the lens cover NOR behind the flap covers in the glasses holder) is simply not necessary to gain access to, or change the bulbs in the overhead dome light. No need to pile on the criticism, I’m already my worst critic

Quick Reply: Removing dome light cover - HELP