LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Torque Wrench Recommendations Requested

Old 05-15-19, 08:02 PM
Willauflex
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Torque Wrench Recommendations Requested

I am planning to buy my first torque wrench for work on my 2001 LS430. Which torque wrench(es) would you recommend for oil changes, serpentine belt and radiator replacement jobs I am planning? And any suggestions will be welcomed. I want to make sure I do not over-tighten and shear any bolts.
Thank you.
Old 05-15-19, 10:23 PM
BCT
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I have Craftsman beam style in the past 15yr, and a no name regular style torque wrench that was given to me about 5 yr ago. Both are 1/2in drive. Good enough for me since I am just doing some dyi services and rotating tires. Have not snapped a bolt yet due to over tightening. From my understanding most of these made in China/Asia are about the same quality and accuracy unless you getting the more expensive ones like Snap On. Just a matter of what is your budget. If you do some searches at garagejournal forum, you will see lots of info.
Old 05-15-19, 10:55 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

It is good to have some accurate torque wrenches on hand so that you don't risk over torquing and or breaking the fastener. Wrench enough and you'll develop the feel for the values needed. The 3/8 will be the most used but if you are willing, 1/4" and 1/2" are useful to have. I've been pleased with the CDI Torque products which is a division of Snap On. I'm not a regular wrencher so given my use these seemed appropriate for the use:expense:

1/4"-
Amazon Amazon
3/8"-
Amazon Amazon

I bought mine from a local tool supply since CDI/Snap-on did not authorize warranty if sold by some online merchants. The local tool supply was less than most the authorized online places on top of that.

The 1/2" is a "Made in USA" Sears version bought about 30 years ago. I don't know who made them in the day.

Last edited by RA40; 05-17-19 at 01:22 AM. Reason: wrong model on the 3/8
Old 05-16-19, 03:24 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts

Honest answer: you don’t need to torque down the oil plug, radiator bolts (they’re just two mounts on top of radiator) or the serpentine belt pulleys to spec.

But if you insist the torque wrench from Harbor Freight is more than fine enough for home use.
The following 2 users liked this post by Peacebay:
sha4000 (05-19-19), Willauflex (05-17-19)
Old 05-16-19, 05:11 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Agree with RA40 above. I have 1/2" and 3/8" made by CDI. imho it's important for them to be calibrated, these come with calibration certificates.

My uncle says Harbor Freight Tools torque wrenches are just fine, just let them break, then get another one, how can you beat $10-$12? He took one and then compared it to an expensive one in the shop. What if they actually broke on a job and you didn't know? Me, I'd rather just spend the $150-$200 and get a quality one. We could play the how many times in a year do you use it game and probably not be able to justify.

Remember, a torque wrench is not accurate under 20% of the top end of the range. So if you get a 5-75 3/8"? This cannot accurately go below 15 ft. lbs. I find this to be an area where you need the right tool for the job, meaning sometimes more than a single 3/8" drive. We have a tendency sometimes to believe that one tool can do everything, so why not get the widest range, say making it up, 5-250? If there were such a wrench, this can't be used accurately under 50 ft. lbs.
The following users liked this post:
Willauflex (05-17-19)
Old 05-16-19, 06:45 AM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

There are multiple YouTube videos with unbiased comparisons of torque wrenches and time and time again, the harbor freight ones do just as well or better than the snap on, Craftsmen, etc. The only difference is the insane price differences.
Willauflex (05-17-19)
Old 05-16-19, 03:57 PM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Agreed, and I am not a fan of made in China. The Harbor freight torque wrench is all the non pro needs. Do pay attention, if it seems wrong stop.
I have been wrenching for 40 years. For most fasteners I am calibrated enough to get the proper torque. Manufacturer's call out torque values for every fastener on the vehicle, yes every threaded fastener has a torque specification. There are only a few critical ones where getting the right torque is very important. Esp. big stuff like axle nuts, lug nuts, caliper bolts, non critical fasteners is something one develops a feel for over time.
There is no need to use a torque wrench all the time for final torquing of fasteners. There are applications where a torque wrench is an absolute must. Torquing down a cylinder head for instance. Total overkill to use one extensively.
Willauflex (05-17-19)
Old 05-16-19, 05:06 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

It's interesting to see where people save and spend money. There are folks here who have Snap On tools (including myself), imagine trying to justify that with ratchets, sockets, etc., if a torque wrench better than HFT can't be justified! I always use this example, go out to lunch on Sunday unplanned, it's nearly the cost of a CDI torque wrench, which will last forever and was calibrated in the first place. True the torque wrench can't even fit in many places so to rely on it and have no feel is deadly.

Where I think HFT hit a home run? Their jacks. They are in more places than TD Bank's pens.
Willauflex (05-17-19)
Old 05-16-19, 05:19 PM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I always use this example, go out to lunch on Sunday unplanned, it's nearly the cost of a CDI torque wrench, '.
Holy cow, where are you going to lunch?!? On Amazon CDI torque wrenches range from $140-$200.

I'm all for spending money on quality tools but if they have been tested against much, MUCH cheaper tools and perform no better and on occasion, worse, what possible justification is there to buy those tools?
Willauflex (05-17-19)
Old 05-16-19, 05:59 PM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Harbor freights tools have become too good to ignore in many cases. Their torque wrenches are a steal. Their tools have gone up in quality substantially in recent years. I use them for occasional use, I'm not a full time car mechanic. When it comes to my tools for my work, that's another level of quality and cost. How much of the price of Snap-on tools goes to supporting their liberal credit policy? The tools are superb, no question. The cost? Holy smokes.
Willauflex (05-17-19)
Old 05-17-19, 01:22 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The tasks as mentioned aren't critical to require a torque wrench. The values are pretty generous to begin with. OTOH if one doesn't have a feel for the torque values than a torque wrench is useful.

The last ratchet I bought was a 3/8" Proto. It's nice yet I've become so accustomed to the swing and feel of the USA Craftsman teardrop full polish that holding anything else seems foreign. The Proto was one of those indulgences that was acceptable for my wallet. Mac or Snap On, out of class now that I wrench even less.
Old 05-17-19, 05:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RA40
The tasks as mentioned aren't critical to require a torque wrench. The values are pretty generous to begin with. OTOH if one doesn't have a feel for the torque values than a torque wrench is useful.

The last ratchet I bought was a 3/8" Proto. It's nice yet I've become so accustomed to the swing and feel of the USA Craftsman teardrop full polish that holding anything else seems foreign. The Proto was one of those indulgences that was acceptable for my wallet. Mac or Snap On, out of class now that I wrench even less.
What everyone is saying is true. Just think, are you going to torque the caliper bolts on the LS430? I don't think the wrench can get in there, so likely, go by feel. Maybe it can, I didn't bother and I reused the bolts too. (flame on)

Maybe the conclusion is why do you even want a torque wrench? lol

It's interesting how people all look at things differently. One person is willing to spend $$$$ fixing a seat cushion when 99% of the vehicles on the road get junked before that happens, and they may turn around and spend no more than $10 on a torque wrench. Another person may spend $75 on a spark plug tool. Why I wonder do we have to justify our choices, though. I don't think anybody is saying, this is my personal case, it must be yours. Just suggestions. There are threads here again, I point out, where people are changing oil on ramps, draining tranny fluid on ramps, prying pistons in with hand tools and not removing calipers to do pads, etc. Nothing happened so who is to say maybe that's not the correct way. Sometimes we all gotta be more like Sargent Shultz. "I see nothing! I hear nothing! I know nothing!"
Old 05-17-19, 06:03 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

It never hurts to have a torque wrench on hand, and I commend you for setting yourself up to accomplish maintenance at home. as mentioned by Ricklin, I use a Harbor Freight 3/8 drive and I also have a 1/2 inch drive from HF. They do the job. I fortunately have the ability to test my wrenches where I work, so I know that they are somewhat accurate.
It's always a good idea to torque the lug nuts when you pull tires off. Never, ever go by "feel". Some things can be fudged with the calibrated elbow torque, but something's are a little more critical and need a known value.

Check out Harbor freight. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 05-17-19, 08:20 AM
Willauflex
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would like to thank everyone for the responses and the resulting interesting torque wrench discussion.

I bought the 3/8 inch torque wrench from Harbor Freight. It worked fine, once I followed the directions and tightened it and loosened the torque wrench three times before using. I practiced on a bicycle bolt and then moved on to the car. My first oil change on the Lexus has been accomplished. The filter wrench I bought did not work well when I got some oil in it. Tightened it mostly by hand and will look for a new filter wrench or for a way to use this one. No leaks. On to the serpentine belt.
2KHarrier (05-17-19)
Old 05-17-19, 08:39 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts

Nice, good job. Although a filter wrench should really only be used to remove an oil filter, not install one

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torque Wrench Recommendations Requested