LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Torque Wrench Recommendations Requested

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-19, 09:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I highly recommend the oil filter end cap wrenches they sell at Walmart....use them on the Lexus and my wife's GM. I actually did not buy one for the Lexus--it was from the Maxima, and because the cap has 2 sizes, it fit the LS perfectly. Packaging may have changed but it is pretty good for $4, good quality and tough plastic with a metal 3/8" insert for a drive....

Old 05-17-19, 09:46 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Willauflex
I would like to thank everyone for the responses and the resulting interesting torque wrench discussion.

I bought the 3/8 inch torque wrench from Harbor Freight. It worked fine, once I followed the directions and tightened it and loosened the torque wrench three times before using. I practiced on a bicycle bolt and then moved on to the car. My first oil change on the Lexus has been accomplished. The filter wrench I bought did not work well when I got some oil in it. Tightened it mostly by hand and will look for a new filter wrench or for a way to use this one. No leaks. On to the serpentine belt.
Excellent! Btw I only hand tighten the filter. If it is too tight, it will be difficult to remove later. I never have oil leak.

I have been using this wrench for years. It is not available anymore, but I am sure you can find similar design under different brands.
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Filter-Wrench-Auto-Adjustable-Craftsman/dp/B00JR25A8Y/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2Q1MLIAY6N8ST https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Filter-Wrench-Auto-Adjustable-Craftsman/dp/B00JR25A8Y/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2Q1MLIAY6N8ST

Or you can just stab the oil filter with a screwdriver and turn it
Old 05-17-19, 01:47 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
What everyone is saying is true. Just think, are you going to torque the caliper bolts on the LS430? I don't think the wrench can get in there, so likely, go by feel. Maybe it can, I didn't bother and I reused the bolts too. (flame on)

Maybe the conclusion is why do you even want a torque wrench? lol

It's interesting how people all look at things differently. One person is willing to spend $$$$ fixing a seat cushion when 99% of the vehicles on the road get junked before that happens, and they may turn around and spend no more than $10 on a torque wrench. Another person may spend $75 on a spark plug tool. Why I wonder do we have to justify our choices, though. I don't think anybody is saying, this is my personal case, it must be yours. Just suggestions. There are threads here again, I point out, where people are changing oil on ramps, draining tranny fluid on ramps, prying pistons in with hand tools and not removing calipers to do pads, etc. Nothing happened so who is to say maybe that's not the correct way. Sometimes we all gotta be more like Sargent Shultz. "I see nothing! I hear nothing! I know nothing!"
Yes. Use the appropriate tool for the task and relative to use. Tools that sit year after year waiting for use doesn't make sense to tie up $ that way IMO. Some are quite skilled and like you mention they "adapt" certain tools to a needed task. Some enjoy collecting too or that they simply want to have the "best available". To each their own. Harbor Freight serves many well for the price point.

I've not been a frequent buyer at Harbor Frieght. I have one of their 12" benchtop drill presses bought about 18 years ago when they had heavier machinery available. It's ok. Some Irwin type Quick Clamps picked up about a year ago. A heat gun. A four pound sledge hammer so that I could drive some Tapcon concrete anchors after drilling. Completely serviceable for the intended use. The name brands would have cost in multiples which I wasn't willing to spend for.

The talk about an oil filter wrench is another for me to buy. I've been using the Channellock 209 wrench which is ok. Certain cars getting that and my hand in a confined space to turn it can be awkward.