LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 Known Issues, big expenses

Old 04-17-19, 09:57 AM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default LS430 Known Issues, big expenses

Does the LS430 (2006, standard suspension) have any big ticket items that can be expected to need replacement other than timing belt? The LS460 seems to have a bunch such as mechanical arms, brake actuator, door lock actuators, air suspension?
Old 04-17-19, 10:37 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

I have had my 06 for 9 years and other then normal maintenance that i do myself it has not been anymore expensive then a corolla.
Old 04-17-19, 10:42 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Agree I have had 2 Camry's, Highlander they are solid if maintained. The one I remember otherwise was the 74 corolla where the shock towers rusted and collapsed towards engine.
Old 04-17-19, 10:49 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

If worked on yourself, it can be reasonable but sometimes labor intensive. If sending it out to Lexus.....it's prohibitive. Using an indie is more reasonable, but a number of repairs can be costly. OEM parts are not all that inexpensive and is usually the best way to go to avoid issues down the road.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 04-17-19 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-17-19, 10:49 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

It does as far as dealerships are concerned, 3 of them:

timing belt/water pump, shocks/struts/mounts, front control arms and bushings --these 3 items together, are north of $6k. My theory is this causes people to dump the vehicles. Does anybody really need them? I doubt it, but the dealer needs to keep the lights on.

It's pretty apparent that Lexus parts are either the same or more than German car parts, OE to OE. Sometimes 3X. There has to be a phat margin as OE Lexus parts can be purchased on eBay for sometimes more than 50% off list.

To me, eBay OE parts, in conjunction with DIY and indies, seem to make the LS430 quite affordable to own and maintain. There's no $10k repair out of nowhere type of needed service, but there are very expensive annoyances, like subwoofers going, rear sunshades going, autodim sideviews needing new glass, sagging seats, tilt/telescope wheels, etc. None of what I mention is under $1000 at a dealer, at least I don't think so, I would never consider them so can't be sure, just going by list prices on the parts needed...
Old 04-17-19, 01:18 PM
TominPT
Advanced

Received 213 Likes on 168 Posts

Like jimbosr1 above, in some cases you can get lucky and avoid the items mentioned above "like subwoofers going, rear sunshades going, autodim sideviews needing new glass, sagging seats, tilt/telescope wheels, etc." My 2005 has had none of these issues, the shocks, control arms, bushings, are all good, except for a sagging seat which I cured with a piece of memory foam I had lying around (will install it under the leather seat eventually, cost = 0). 117,000 miles on the clock.

I pulled the fuse on the tilt/telescope to avoid prematurely wearing out.

Yes, repairs can be costly but with a good prepurchase inspection (or self inspection) of these items you can know what you are getting into and budget accordingly. Depending how long you plan on keeping the car, I suppose most or all of these items will all crop up eventually.
YMMV
Old 04-17-19, 02:03 PM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

I know things will go south on a 12 year old car. I am just concerned with $1,000+ items. The timing belt is done on the one I have in mind and it doesn't have air suspension. I have a '92 LS400 that still runs. There's a boatload of things that could be fixed but it drives well enough as is so I don't put more money into it.
Old 04-17-19, 02:48 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

This July will be seven years that I have had my LS430. The biggest expense I’ve run into was needing my windshield replaced on my 2005 LS430 Ultra Luxury. It retails around $2,000 but I can get it at cost for just under $900. I still haven’t replaced it yet but I plan to soon.

So far I’ve done general maintenance on the car using parts from RockAuto, eBay, and Amazon. My labor is cheap so it hasn’t been bad. My factory air suspension was failing but I switched to coilovers.

My sister’s car has twice as many miles and needs stuff like bushings and tie rods. Her car is more expensive to maintain due to the age and miles on it. Lower mileage LS’ should be much cheaper.
Old 04-17-19, 06:34 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I was quoted at 250 for Pinkerton glass itsOEE for my 04 ML I had front windshield glass done on 05 Camry they told my the Lexus Toyota etched logo in corner is smudged out on occasion as it is the same glass My 88 y/0 mom got in Camry noticed how clear the windshield was as we motored out of her driveway(dust compromises glass after 250 k miles on any windshield) Point being there r aftermarket alternatives to consider as car ages gracefully
Old 04-17-19, 09:40 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 184 Likes on 163 Posts

04 142k, had for almost 8 years now.

Door lock actuator went bad and two lower control arm bushings.

I pulled the fuse for the power wheel as it needs a good lube.

That's it. I could spend $700 to get lock fixed but it's fine, I've learned to live with it.

The thing still drives like the day I got it. Solid as a rock,
Old 04-18-19, 04:58 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Put a 105k Miles on my 06 LS430 so far. Bought it 3 years old used with 13k miles on it, so it now has total of 118k miles. To date total repairs have been 1 driver side mirror (replaced free under warranty) and two front struts and one set of lower control arms. No other repairs and car runs and operates like new. Also had the TB/WP service done at 95k miles but I don't consider that repair. Other maintenance performed diy have been 2 sets of brake pads, rotors are still original and in great shape. One set of spark plugs at 105k. One pvc valve at 100k. And filter and oil and various fluid changes over the years.

The LS430 has been the most trouble free, and most reliable car I have ever owned.

My door actuators are fine - no issues. But for those with door actuator failure as a diy you can either buy the new electric motor on ebay for about $10 to repair the actuator unit, or if you don't want to take the actuator apart and reassemble you can buy an entire replacement door actuator on ebay generally for $160.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Lexus-Ls430-O...3171155&chn=ps

Last edited by Jabberwock; 04-18-19 at 05:04 AM.
Old 04-18-19, 05:32 AM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

I picked up a 2006 Mystic Metallic Gold 430 with Modern Luxury Package; 94,000 miles on it. Two previous owners, first one only had it for 1,500 miles. I opened the owners manual and found the previous owner had printed a thread from this website so may they're reading this. A bit annoyed that it doesn't seem to have Satellite radio. It says it has Bluetooth but I'll be damned if I figure out how to pair my phone.

The right outside mirror doesn't move. The dealer said their cost is almost $700. They said if I buy one off Ebay (around $150) they will install and paint it to match. I think I will do that for the wife's sake. Other than that I really like it so far. It has more road feel. The LS460 steering is very floaty, like the car moves a second or two after you turn the wheel.

I'm satisfied with the look of the wheels. I think the only mods will be tint and a GROM or single DIN. I gotta have SAT radio and Bluetooth.
Old 04-18-19, 09:08 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I was quoted at 250 for Pinkerton glass itsOEE for my 04 ML I had front windshield glass done on 05 Camry they told my the Lexus Toyota etched logo in corner is smudged out on occasion as it is the same glass My 88 y/0 mom got in Camry noticed how clear the windshield was as we motored out of her driveway(dust compromises glass after 250 k miles on any windshield) Point being there r aftermarket alternatives to consider as car ages gracefully
Do you know if that glass works for the UL models too? I’d like a new windshield for my sister’s 2002 LS too.
Old 04-18-19, 02:32 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I just called Tri City in Appleton Wi. Pilkington 291.73 including new chrome molding and tax(leave it to me you could get 25 extra off if you mention a coupon from your insurer.)

Pilkington is OEM glass maker for Lexus and they make OEE glass its the same just Original Equipment Equivalent versus Original Equipment Manufacturer, the OEM glasss maker can vary year by year. He did not show any different glass for LS430 models, it showed one glass. He repeated he will get Pilkington glass with the Lexus logo sand blasted off so not to infringe on Lexus if thats what is available in the warehouse at the time for OEE versus OEM.

if there is a separate glass for the UL triple pain or something let me know I will ask if he has separate listings for OEM glass with the Lexus logo I just checked OEE.
Old 04-18-19, 03:49 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I just called Tri City in Appleton Wi. Pilkington 291.73 including new chrome molding and tax(leave it to me you could get 25 extra off if you mention a coupon from your insurer.)

Pilkington is OEM glass maker for Lexus and they make OEE glass its the same just Original Equipment Equivalent versus Original Equipment Manufacturer, the OEM glasss maker can vary year by year. He did not show any different glass for LS430 models, it showed one glass. He repeated he will get Pilkington glass with the Lexus logo sand blasted off so not to infringe on Lexus if thats what is available in the warehouse at the time for OEE versus OEM.

if there is a separate glass for the UL triple pain or something let me know I will ask if he has separate listings for OEM glass with the Lexus logo I just checked OEE.
I had a Pinkington windshield installed a few years ago and it's been fine. Would also be interested if there is a higher grade version for UL model, I think mine is just the standard Pilkington windshield. It's starting to get pitted and there is a small crack so I'll have to redo it at some point. It wasn't too expensive, maybe $250 installed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS430 Known Issues, big expenses