my OLD 02 GS430 with 245k miles
- nothing.just reg maintenances
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-18-19, 09:57 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
I had a Pinkington windshield installed a few years ago and it's been fine. Would also be interested if there is a higher grade version for UL model, I think mine is just the standard Pilkington windshield. It's starting to get pitted and there is a small crack so I'll have to redo it at some point. It wasn't too expensive, maybe $250 installed.
The only premium glass is the original OEM Lexus glass. My insurance refused to pay for OEM and put cheap Chinese (labeled as Pilkington) a few years ago and it looks like it has been sandblasted when looking into the sun. The installer told me he bought the "approved" glass for a little over $100 and got paid $200 by the insurance company to do the job. All the insurance companies seem to be in collusion in this scam.
Old 04-19-19, 01:19 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TominPT
Like jimbosr1 above, in some cases you can get lucky and avoid the items mentioned above "like subwoofers going, rear sunshades going, autodim sideviews needing new glass, sagging seats, tilt/telescope wheels, etc." My 2005 has had none of these issues, the shocks, control arms, bushings, are all good, except for a sagging seat which I cured with a piece of memory foam I had lying around (will install it under the leather seat eventually, cost = 0). 117,000 miles on the clock.
Mind sharing what piece of memory foam/where to buy that you planning to install? I feel that my driver seat is sagging as well compare to the passenger seat. I like to replace the foam, but OEM foam is pretty expensive. Adding another piece of foam maybe a good cheaper solution, although I wonder how that would work with the cooling and heating for the seat.
Old 04-19-19, 05:07 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
The only premium glass is the original OEM Lexus glass. My insurance refused to pay for OEM and put cheap Chinese (labeled as Pilkington) a few years ago and it looks like it has been sandblasted when looking into the sun. The installer told me he bought the "approved" glass for a little over $100 and got paid $200 by the insurance company to do the job. All the insurance companies seem to be in collusion in this scam.
I had an issue with the lizard co. steering me to first repair, then safelite, on my BMW. They ultimately put Saint Gobain Sekurit with a BMW logo. I basically told them that it doesn't matter to me how much the glass costs, i.e. the spread, I have insurance, and they agreed. Honestly, I did hold it against the rep for reading the script on how the cheap glass is the same.

But you keep saying cheap Chinese. FUYAO is OE BMW today. Also Bentley. Pilkington at the time was an OE supplier to BMW as well. Don't know why you think it's cheap, and also say Chinese.

I would go by brand, not where it's made. If Saint Gobain Sekurit still made OE glass for BMW, it had the BMW logo, and was made in China, the fact that it is made in China does not make it cheap. When I removed my ABS pump from the BMW, it said, "made in Hungary." So what?

And if your insurance co. treated you that way, shouldn't you switch? I did afterwards. And saved money too with the hands people. More coverage, lower premium.
Old 04-19-19, 07:55 AM
TominPT
Advanced

Received 214 Likes on 169 Posts

To BCT's question "Mind sharing what piece of memory foam/where to buy that you planning to install?" I used a foam mattress topper I was not using, its actually 1 3/8 inches thick. Its quite soft and compliant, but it does work as a bandaid just placed over the seat bottom. I live in a mild climate and do not need heated or cooled seats. But when I do install it under the seat cover, on top of the existing foam, I will cut out some holes in registry with the OEM foam holes for the air to flow to the seating surface with a pair of scissors and call it good. Save ~ $ 250+ as compared to OEM seat cushions.
Old 04-19-19, 08:56 AM
Jkallinen
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2002 LS430 just cost me $1696.28. Turns out my rear brake issue was not the problem. When they put it up on the rack.
They found Rear Suspension Cross member Cross Frame that section of it had rusted away and collapsed. They found one
off Rock Auto and had it shipped for $250. OEM price $1278. The biggest cost was the labor since they to take it all apart and
fight rusty linkages.
Old 04-19-19, 09:19 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkallinen

My 2002 LS430 just cost me $1696.28. Turns out my rear brake issue was not the problem. When they put it up on the rack.
They found Rear Suspension Cross member Cross Frame that section of it had rusted away and collapsed. They found one
off Rock Auto and had it shipped for $250. OEM price $1278. The biggest cost was the labor since they to take it all apart and
fight rusty linkages.
Man, that reminds me of my 1998 Maxima. That gen of Maxima routinely had the lower rad supports collapse at around year 9 or 10, and it was like a $2400 job at the dealer, who actually farmed it out to body shops who would often install aftermarket parts, where it collapsed again in 2 years. I don't get the Japanese design--we have places in the USA where salt is used, it's not an excuse to say well what do you want you're supposed to buy a new car before it collapses! Luckily for me a forum member fixed it for $130 and knock on wood it's now 9 years later and no issues...
Old 04-19-19, 10:59 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

https://www.pilkington.com/en/us/about-us
Old 04-20-19, 03:43 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Man, that reminds me of my 1998 Maxima. That gen of Maxima routinely had the lower rad supports collapse at around year 9 or 10, and it was like a $2400 job at the dealer, who actually farmed it out to body shops who would often install aftermarket parts, where it collapsed again in 2 years. I don't get the Japanese design--we have places in the USA where salt is used, it's not an excuse to say well what do you want you're supposed to buy a new car before it collapses! Luckily for me a forum member fixed it for $130 and knock on wood it's now 9 years later and no issues...
Without trying to sound like a total a**, unfortunately the answer is yes. Every products from airplane to cars to computers etc has an end of life, 5 years, 10 years, 100K miles, 100K hours etc. They also have a calculation, 90% 95% 99% of user/owner is not going to own this widget pass it's end of life. So any widget is not being built pass that time. I remember when one can easily get a lot more miles out of Michelin tires which make it a very good buy when one do cost vs benefit calculation. Now it seems that all of their models come with less thread. I guess they figure out that their tires are so good that they are leaving money on the table.

LS430 is probably pass it's end of life or near it, so problems is going to start appearing. You can have super low miles, but the fact is, LS430 is still 13 year old (or older) car with old parts and old rubbers. Rust is going to accelerate that problems. I am sure they have calculation how long rust will eat away things.