LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Deleted Resonators- almost no difference

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-18, 02:28 PM
Abernoots
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deleted Resonators- almost no difference

Hey everyone, I decided to get my resonators deleted today, and to be honest it feels like a waste of money. The car is just BARELY louder, no real noticeable difference. I saw videos and read that removing resonators and keeping the stock mufflers will give a decent rumble, but it feels like it did jack ******
Old 05-23-18, 02:34 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Well, those perfectly straight and shiny new pipes LOOK pretty cool from the underside! (aside from the welds---are those good welds?)
Old 05-23-18, 02:35 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Sorry to hear that man. The videos I've seen tell a different story, but apparently that's not the case. Care to post a video so we can hear it?
Old 05-23-18, 02:37 PM
Abernoots
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Sorry to hear that man. The videos I've seen tell a different story, but apparently that's not the case. Care to post a video so we can hear it?
I'll get a video later tonight when it's a cold start and it quiets down outside
The following users liked this post:
2KHarrier (05-23-18)
Old 05-23-18, 02:44 PM
Neverdone
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Well, those perfectly straight and shiny new pipes LOOK pretty cool from the underside! (aside from the welds---are those good welds?)
no, they're not. But as long as they deal, who cares what they look like. It's not a stainless system that everyone will be looking at.
Old 05-23-18, 05:09 PM
Abernoots
Rookie

Here is an almost cold start plus some revving. you can't really hear anything while driving. It starts to sound good when you really get on it at like 3-5k rpm. Not ideal for those who'd want to hear their exhaust
Old 05-23-18, 07:24 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

To be fair, we are talking about Lexus mufflers which are specifically engineered to be as quiet as possible. I would suspect if you were to ditch the 3rd cat, you might gain a bit of improvement, but your best improvement would be to replace the mufflers. A good muffler shop can get you the right muffler for what you want... super loud, obnoxious, kinda loud... whatever.

Those welds do look terrible, but muffler shop welds usually are since they know most people don't care and won't see them. As long as they don't leak... if they do, apply more weld!
Old 05-23-18, 08:28 PM
Abernoots
Rookie

Originally Posted by Romanova
To be fair, we are talking about Lexus mufflers which are specifically engineered to be as quiet as possible. I would suspect if you were to ditch the 3rd cat, you might gain a bit of improvement, but your best improvement would be to replace the mufflers. A good muffler shop can get you the right muffler for what you want... super loud, obnoxious, kinda loud... whatever.

Those welds do look terrible, but muffler shop welds usually are since they know most people don't care and won't see them. As long as they don't leak... if they do, apply more weld!
The thing is, I don't want it loud or obnoxious. When it's heard, I want it to be like "huh, thats a good sounding V8" I don't want my car to sound like something it's not. I'd like to see a website where the mufflers for sale are rated by loudness, so I can get something right in the middle or just a bit quieter. If y'all know any mufflers like that or sites like that it'd be really appreciated!
Old 05-23-18, 09:04 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Abernoots
The thing is, I don't want it loud or obnoxious. When it's heard, I want it to be like "huh, thats a good sounding V8" I don't want my car to sound like something it's not. I'd like to see a website where the mufflers for sale are rated by loudness, so I can get something right in the middle or just a bit quieter. If y'all know any mufflers like that or sites like that it'd be really appreciated!
Get the 3rd cat deleted and it should give you the sound you are looking for.
Old 05-24-18, 09:17 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

A good muffler shop can make the proper recommendation for you. They can put the pipe in place and then attach different mufflers so you can hear them before they weld them in place. Try Magnaflow, Flowmaster, or another top-tier brand. Good luck!
Old 05-30-18, 06:41 PM
bcabano
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah you're gonna definitely have to ditch those mufflers if you want any serious sound. Here's the 3 stages of my exhaust. I have QTP E-cutouts and even w/ the 3rd cat and resonator deleted it still sounds silent when the cutouts are closed.

(just muffler bypassed)

(resonator deleted + bypass)

(3rd cat + resonator deleted + bypass)

Hope this helps
Old 06-01-18, 11:11 PM
Robles84
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I deleted my resonators on my last ls430 OEM mufflers it was louder. On my current ls430 I put generic glasspacks with OEM muffers. It has a very low rumble. I too feel like I wasted money lol. I've been looking at magnaflow mufflers with a 6in tip
Old 06-02-18, 05:06 AM
VortecCPI
Driver

I guess I have to ask... Why make such a wonderfully-quiet car ANY louder? I've had plenty of Hi-Po Go-Fast cars in my life and one of the things I love about the LS is how quiet it is.
Old 06-02-18, 05:40 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by VortecCPI
I guess I have to ask... Why make such a wonderfully-quiet car ANY louder? I've had plenty of Hi-Po Go-Fast cars in my life and one of the things I love about the LS is how quiet it is.
Well, Vortec, many owners have different tastes and some guys like to have that sound of a 263 cubic inch V8 rumbling in their car.

It does sound good, with the right exhaust set up and to be honest, I wouldn't be opposed to having a decent exhaust note on my car either....

There are just as many owners who want the complete LS experience, including a silent exhaust note..
Old 06-02-18, 05:47 AM
VortecCPI
Driver

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Well, Vortec, many owners have different tastes and some guys like to have that sound of a 263 cubic inch V8 rumbling in their car.

It does sound good, with the right exhaust set up and to be honest, I wouldn't be opposed to having a decent exhaust note on my car either....

There are just as many owners who want the complete LS experience, including a silent exhaust note..
Yeah... I guess I get it to some degree... I am still active with my friends at the drag strip so I get my fill of healthy engine sound...

To me the quietness and smoothness of the LS series is nothing short of phenomenal and I have grown to greatly appreciate it...

This is what I am used to hearing... 200+ HP from two huge cylinders... My buddy's Zipper's Performance bike...