LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Finally ordered some nice jack stands

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-18, 06:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Finally ordered some nice jack stands

I've been eyeing the Esco 10499's for about a year. The best price online was about $130 shipped. Interesting how on heavier items, often eBay cannot help.

When I saw the price drop to $56 ea. at amazon, I pulled the trigger!

Don't know if a jack stand like this is necessary for the LS? But these are the ones that the BMW guys use, since there is so little clearance. So now I will have adapters for both cars and do things much more safely (I do place Craftsman jack stands that don't touch the car, so if a jack failed, they would fall on the stand, and likely damage the car--my buddy said your car can be repaired, you can't)

Amazon Amazon
The following 2 users liked this post by Johnhav430:
Legender (04-13-18), sha4000 (04-15-18)
Old 04-13-18, 01:14 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Nice... wonder if those would fit under my Miata? That would be nice.

Really appreciate it when people share great deals like this.
Old 04-15-18, 06:24 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Those look very nice but too much money for a jack stand IMO. It's whatever makes YOU more comfortable while working under the car though. Then again I have so many unnecessary tools that I bought for 1 specific job and never used again so who am I to talk.
Old 04-15-18, 09:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I hear you, my cousin has a BMW and even he doesn't care, uses any old jack stands. It has to do with having the flat surface, and being able to use the proper adapter into the jack pads. It looks like this.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...4aAgH6EALw_wcB

ecommerce is interesting. With amazon, the mfg. drop shipped it, even though amazon is the seller. Imagine, amazon handles nothing themselves, yet likely has a cost near the mfgs cost.

On the ecs adapter, believe it or not I got it from Sears, for like $15, because I could use bogus sears surprise points to get it. So ECS UPS'd it to Sears, and I picked it up. Sears lol I got so many free tools from them when they were trying to come back...there would be stuff like $10 off $15, etc...one time $15 off $15 hahahahaha So I would try to buy a tool that was only $15....Channel lock etc....

edit point being I have many unused tools. Some are even sweet Snap Ons. I seem to always go back to the Craftsmans that I have, but use Snap on ratchets..my most useful took kit ever is a made in USA Craftsman 6x piece set that prolly cost $40. Unbelievable how much use I've gotten....

Last edited by Johnhav430; 04-15-18 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-16-18, 05:08 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

For as much as I do work on my cars, I find the ratcheting style jack stands work much easier than these Pit Pin style stands. These Amazon stands don't seem to have enough height adjustment, but for what you're planning on doing, I would think these would work fine. I do like that they have the rubber pad on them..

These Hein Warner stands came with removable rubber pads, so I can use the pads when I need them, or pull em off, if I don't...

Old 04-16-18, 05:38 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
For as much as I do work on my cars, I find the ratcheting style jack stands work much easier than these Pit Pin style stands. These Amazon stands don't seem to have enough height adjustment, but for what you're planning on doing, I would think these would work fine. I do like that they have the rubber pad on them..

These Hein Warner stands came with removable rubber pads, so I can use the pads when I need them, or pull em off, if I don't...

I have something like those, only Craftsman and metal. If you're like my cousin, his jack pads on his BMW were already crushed when he got the vehicle, so he doesn't care. I wanted to get away from the 1x2 block and having 2 floor jacks on each side, then placing the craftsman (which are not low enough so the car is jacked a little higher than desired) under just in case...I figure if my jack pads are mint (why I don't let Firestone or a muffler shop touch the vehicle), might as well keep it. I did replace one on my own as I scraped a curb, and they are a real **** to get out. A lot stronger than one would think, which may explain why the Costcos of the world don't use adapters (I am sure they have them)...

p.s. Lexus should have created a trap door like the BMW for the oil....it's not a big engineering deal and no fasteners have to be removed to access...it's just too low...

edit p.p.s. went on amazon and those are a good $20 more each for the stands, then another $14 for the pads (1 set needed), must be high quality, but I prefer the totally flat pad so I can use the adapters...

Last edited by Johnhav430; 04-16-18 at 05:52 AM.
Old 04-16-18, 06:40 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I went on amazon and those are a good $20 more each for the stands, then another $14 for the pads (1 set needed), must be high quality, but I prefer the totally flat pad so I can use the adapters...
Buy the best and you only cry once... The design makes it nice to hold the car up by the axle when needed, but using these on the lift points of the body can be a little cumbersome. They are constructed very well and made in the USA adds to the cost.
Old 04-16-18, 07:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Buy the best and you only cry once... The design makes it nice to hold the car up by the axle when needed, but using these on the lift points of the body can be a little cumbersome. They are constructed very well and made in the USA adds to the cost.
haha true....all my ratchets that I use are Snap On S936s from pawn shops...I paid like $30 to $35, back in 2006! I thought, Snap On used is what Craftsman is new, I'd rather have Snap On.

I do have some of the 80 tooth in 1/2 and 3/8 as well (2016's that say USA), that I don't know what happened, as if eBay bidders fell asleep. I know that students get like 65% off list, so you start seeing them all over brand new and if you can get 55% off list it's not bad...expensive ($70) but not bad...if brand new. Last forever. My 36 tooth are the go to ratchets, and the 80 tooth are for my Snap On museum. I have some tools from the 40's and 60's.....they all have date codes...