LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Power steering pump whine

Old 12-16-11, 12:57 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Power steering pump whine

My 2001 LS430 with 105,000 miles seems to have what I would assume is a power steering pump whine when the car is first started cold. I feel it is the PS pump as I can get the noise to change it's pitch by turning the steering wheel. Once warm, it is barely noticeable. I changed the fluid 6 months ago since it was on the dark side. My question is this. If it is the power steering pump making the noise, is it one of those Toyota parts that will continue operating for Tens of thousands of miles with a slight whine or will it just fail one day? Anyone with any experience here or have the same symptoms? Thanks all.
Old 12-19-11, 08:09 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I've just notice on the thread "How many miles do you have on your LS430"? that 2 owners with 04 LS430s have the same symptom with the PS whine when cold. Once warm the whine is gone. One owner has claimed that he had the whine (when cold) since his car was new in 04. I wonder if it might just be something that I can live with. What do you guys think?
Old 01-12-12, 07:02 AM
deadguy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same issue on my 04 LS. I have read a few threads saying it could be the PS pump or a myriad of other issues. I plan to get a stethoscope and see if I can locate the source of the whine this weekend.
Old 01-12-12, 07:19 AM
Milan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had an issue like that on my wife's '04 Accord. Turns out there was a service bulletin for an o-ring that, with age, allows air to enter the system. A replacement o-ring fixed the whine and I haven't had any ill effects a year down the road. Never noticed this issue on my '02 LS with 166k miles.
Old 01-12-12, 07:25 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Couple things you can do - 1st, ensure that the level is proper in the reservoir... 2nd, make slow, deliberate, turns from lock to lock with the steering wheel, with the motor running and sitting still... (do this 5-10 times) there is a chance there is an air pocket in the system causing your issue...

If neither of those help, then most likely just the gears in the pump getting a little loose... they rarely ever fail, so long as you keep fluid in them, no matter how much noise they make...
Old 01-12-12, 07:26 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by deadguy
I have the same issue on my 04 LS. I have read a few threads saying it could be the PS pump or a myriad of other issues. I plan to get a stethoscope and see if I can locate the source of the whine this weekend.
if it only happens when cold and only when turning the steering wheel, I'll save you some time - its definitely the power steering pump...
Old 01-12-12, 05:29 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Milan
Had an issue like that on my wife's '04 Accord. Turns out there was a service bulletin for an o-ring that, with age, allows air to enter the system. A replacement o-ring fixed the whine and I haven't had any ill effects a year down the road. Never noticed this issue on my '02 LS with 166k miles.
I too have read about a replacement O-ring, with a Honda and a Audi. I have not read anything about an LS430 O ring. Does the LS430 even have an O Ring that can be replaced???
Old 01-15-12, 06:28 AM
deadguy
Driver

update. I took the old belt off on a complete cold start and the whine was there but quite faint. I put on a new belt and the whine came back a little louder. Not as loud as it has been and the tmp out this morning was around 40. I turned the wheel and there was an increase in the noise. When engaged in reverse, the noise is almost non existent. This is still before the temperature guage arm reaches the first line.

I have not tried the stethoscope yet.

I recorded all of this and if anyone needs to hear the recording I will post it here (if someone can help me with getting it posted).

Thanks guys.

BTW. The cap is off of the resevoir as I type this just in case there is air in the system.
Old 01-15-12, 07:17 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by deadguy
update. I took the old belt off on a complete cold start and the whine was there but quite faint. I put on a new belt and the whine came back a little louder. Not as loud as it has been and the tmp out this morning was around 40. I turned the wheel and there was an increase in the noise. When engaged in reverse, the noise is almost non existent. This is still before the temperature guage arm reaches the first line.

I have not tried the stethoscope yet.

I recorded all of this and if anyone needs to hear the recording I will post it here (if someone can help me with getting it posted).

Thanks guys.

BTW. The cap is off of the resevoir as I type this just in case there is air in the system.
Are you saying that without a belt on the car at all, there is still a whine?

Without a belt on the front of the engine, the only thing that can whine is the engine itself, as the pulleys and accessories on the front of the motor won't be turning at all...

Best bet is to post it to youtube and then link here... the cap doesn't have to be off the reservoir to evacuate air... the only way to evacuate air is to slowly turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times...
Old 01-15-12, 07:38 AM
deadguy
Driver

Thank you Mits. I had heard that the whine without the belt could be the water pump or a timing belt pulley issue. I don't know.

Also to add: the whine increases when the accelerator is pressed while engine is cold.
Old 01-15-12, 07:44 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Yes please post a video, I have a similar whine at cold startup which lessens when the car is warm. Mine doesn't seem to be affected by steering though, just engine rpm's. Mine was really loud one morning then abruptly disappeared midday while driving, then slowly returned to a quieter but still noticeably annoying level after a week. It's been constant for over a month.
Old 01-15-12, 08:00 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Definitely could be water pump - they are timing belt driven on those motors... Putting the belt back on shouldn't change the noise though if that is the case... odd...

Real quick, the whine is coming from the engine bay correct? Its not coming from the speakers right? Just want to make sure its not a ground loop or alternator issue causing noise in the speakers...
Old 01-15-12, 08:46 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Its definitely coming from the front of the engine. Just had timing belt/pump/tensioner/pulleys/cam seals/plugs done over the summer. Took it back to shop that did the work and they thought it was the alternator. Dealer thought the tensioner pulley was "too tight". ??? I'm more inclined to think its the alternator pulley.
Old 01-15-12, 09:53 AM
deadguy
Driver

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Definitely could be water pump - they are timing belt driven on those motors... Putting the belt back on shouldn't change the noise though if that is the case... odd...

Real quick, the whine is coming from the engine bay correct? Its not coming from the speakers right? Just want to make sure its not a ground loop or alternator issue causing noise in the speakers...
All sounds are from the front of the engine, hood open and head in the bay as far as i can get it. I can, however, hear it clearly inside of the car (quite well) when at its loudest and during acceleration until temp is reached. It sounds as if it's the alternator/PS pump area and every now and then it sounds like it's the area in front of the TB.
Old 01-15-12, 10:24 AM
deadguy
Driver

Just picked up a $9.99 stethoscope and it's the PS pump. Every other pump/pulley housing is sounding trouble free and smoothe.

Sweet new toy!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering pump whine