LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Key wont turn ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-17, 11:59 AM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Key wont turn ??

1) This my first week with the 2004 LS-430. I insert the "key"and try to turn it clockwise and it presses in, steering wheel adjusts, it goes part way but wont go all the way to on. A message says check s/t. Does s/t stand for ****** ? After several tries, 3 to 10 tries, it magically turns !!! What is the problem?

2) I cannot change the battery in the fob? Seems silly for this to be a dealer option? Cant I do it? and how?
Old 04-09-17, 12:14 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
1) This my first week with the 2004 LS-430. I insert the "key"and try to turn it clockwise and it presses in, steering wheel adjusts, it goes part way but wont go all the way to on. A message says check s/t. Does s/t stand for ****** ? After several tries, 3 to 10 tries, it magically turns !!! What is the problem?

2) I cannot change the battery in the fob? Seems silly for this to be a dealer option? Cant I do it? and how?
1) Steering/Transmission? I always put my foot on brake, tranny in neutral, steering in center position to start the car.
2) Fob abattery, you ahve to split open it to get access to battery. You will find Youtube demo. showing how.
Old 04-09-17, 12:38 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by Htony
1) Steering/Transmission? I always put my foot on brake, tranny in neutral, steering in center position to start the car.
2) Fob abattery, you ahve to split open it to get access to battery. You will find Youtube demo. showing how.
OK, the tranny needs to be in Neutral? I have been trying and occasionally succeeding in Park?And the steering needs to be"centered" What is centered? Do I need to get out and make sure which turn I am on?
Old 04-09-17, 12:53 PM
swegyptian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wiggle the steering wheel a little bit left and right, that's caused a problem a few times for me.
Old 04-09-17, 01:19 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by swegyptian
Just wiggle the steering wheel a little bit left and right, that's caused a problem a few times for me.
Thanks, that would seem to explain the randomness of the key working.
Old 04-09-17, 02:06 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by swegyptian
Yep! That's what the Owner's Manual says too...
Old 04-09-17, 03:44 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

OK, the tranny needs to be in Neutral? I have been trying and occasionally succeeding in Park?And the steering needs to be"centered" What is centered? Do I need to get out and make sure which turn I am on?
Sorry I meant parking. Brake pedal, tranny in park, steering wheel turned too much either side will jam the key in the lok cylinder.(already jiggling steering was mentioned)
These 3 are elctrically(by spostion siwtch) or mechanically linked for safety.
Old 04-10-17, 02:43 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Looks like you got 1 answer for the key not turning. If the steering wheel isn't centered, you might need to jiggle it a little bit.

Your second issue was the battery for the key fob. You do not need to take it to the dealer. You can easily do this yourself. You simply need a small flat blade screwdriver, a new CR2032 battery, and about 3 minutes! (I'll spare you the step by step written details, but the link is a good YT video how to change the battery.)

The creator of the video said something that was wrong though. It doesn't affect you, but thought it was interesting----around the :15 second mark, they mistakenly called the keyfob a TWO button keyfob, but it's actually THREE. Many people don't notice the very bottom button is for the trunk release!

Hope this helps you out! PLEASE NOTE THE ORIENTATION OF THE OLD BATTERY! IT WILL LIKELY FALL OUT SO BE CAREFUL! One thing the creator of this YT video did NOT do is show the orientation/polarity of the battery!!! WTF? Also, when you think it's replaced properly, do NOT place the end cap on. You should TEST to ensure the polarity of the battery is correct! To test, simply push any of the buttons and ensure the red LED lights up on the keyfob. (Don't worry if you install the battery backwards, nothing will be damaged)....

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 04-10-17 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-10-17, 06:40 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

yeah, I got the batts changed in two out of three fobs. Broke the first one trying to figure it out. Just got pissed and laid into it. Felt really good to destroy it...

And the steering wheel was the problem....seems like every time I tried to insert the key I had to turn the wheel to find the hole. Now I know I need to turn it back!!!!
Old 04-10-17, 08:45 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

yeah, I got the batts changed in two out of three fobs. Broke the first one trying to figure it out. Just got pissed and laid into it. Felt really good to destroy it...

And the steering wheel was the problem....seems like every time I tried to insert the key I had to turn the wheel to find the hole. Now I know I need to turn it back!!!!
Jim, does your LS have the SmartAccess option? If it does, you don't need to insert the key to start the car. Just turn the ignition switch when you get in the car...
Old 04-11-17, 04:46 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Jim, does your LS have the SmartAccess option? If it does, you don't need to insert the key to start the car. Just turn the ignition switch when you get in the car...
I believe it's one in the same, meaning, we don't have a push to start button, we still twist a key like switch, and it is locked if there is pressure on the lock mechanism, just as an old car with a metal key. I'd like to know if this issue, is simply pressure on the lock mechanism (age old issue where the pressure needs to be relieved), or an intermittent failure of the electric lock (the latter was a serious BMW problem around 2006, expensive to fix, and also causes the vehicle to be inoperable). Again, I don't even think my 2007 BMW has any lock whatsoever, because it was a theft device way back when, but is unnecessary today...
Old 04-11-17, 07:19 AM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gronemus
I dont know. There is a little red light to the left f the steering wheel with a label "smart" ??