GROM Audio USB2P-Toy Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-13, 07:04 AM
HerkFE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GROM Audio USB2P-Toy Review

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html

After browsing the forums starting a thread and researching the device I decided to take the leap. I want to post a review of the product here so others know there is a viable solution to get Bluetooth, MP3, and Aux integrated into your factory system without making things ugly.

Installation
Fairly straight forward you can use the posts on the Vaistech installs and the steps are almost identical. I wanted all my cables ran into my center console so that required a bit more work. It does put a hole in your box (so to speak) so that may be a turn off to some people but it doesn't bother me.

One thing not mentioned clearly on their website or installation instructions is that you MUST RUN THE USB CABLE or HAVE THE USB PORT EASILY ACCESSIBLE. I purchased the AUX in cable and assumed the USB port on that interfaced the same as the USB port and didn't have my installer run it and ended up having to go back.

Setup

First things first is download the latest firmware and update your box. Once that is done this thing works almost flawlessly. Like any non OEM component it has occasional hiccups but 95% of the time it works great.

The bluetooth works outstanding, the mic is clear, the way it handles phone calls while playing music is very smooth and sensible. Streaming bluetooth audio works great, thumb drives work flawlessly when set up according to their users manual, and the aux in as well. You have an additional USB charging port on the AUX cable which is also rather helpful.

Issues

Occasionally I have had the unit freeze my volume control. I am not sure what causes this but turning the car off and back on resets whatever it is. All other buttons work and the radio can be powered on and off but volume control freezes and the sound selection menu becomes grayed out.

Occasionally the box doesn't boot right I guess and you get static, again restarting the vehicle corrects this. It doesn't happen often enough IMO to warrant scrapping the device but depending on how annoying it is to you YMMV.

The volume of the device tends to be lower than the FM radio so to be safe I recommend turning down the radio prior to switching back to FM or CD's.

Overall impression

I really enjoy this unit it has brought my LS430 up to modern age technologies while preserving the luxurious appearance of my clean wood dash. It also keeps my eyes on the road and allows me to take calls, play music, and use what I find to be a more up to date and user friendly navigation on my phone.

If you have any questions on the unit or want any other info on my impressions of it let me know.
Old 06-16-13, 07:22 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

A device that has all those problems (doesn't boot right, freeze, high volume) doesn't seem like quality that is fitting of an LS430.
Old 06-16-13, 07:42 AM
HerkFE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jayclapp
A device that has all those problems (doesn't boot right, freeze, high volume) doesn't seem like quality that is fitting of an LS430.
That may be true but neither does a device that alerts you every time you start your car that it's not connected or won't let you modify your route while driving, or speakers that frequently fail but we have all those in our cars too...

I have not encountered a single bluetooth audio solution whether factory installed or added on that worked right every time. Maybe you have but when I add bluetooth audio or buy/rent a car with it I have come to understand that you will have some hiccups now and again.

JMO
Old 09-02-13, 11:38 AM
Rezonans
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just recently buy 2001 ls 430, I planing to buy the same box from grom audio.
Is any improvements since they make new firmware version 60 http://www.gromaudio.com/software-usb2.html
Old 09-02-13, 03:09 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Thanks for the review Herk. I'm looking to purchase something like this soon. Not sure which one yet.
Old 12-28-13, 11:08 AM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to bring up a old thread but has anyone put one in a 01' LS430 UL model with ML audio? Grom said it may not work with all models as not all radios had the same connectors in the back which is why it lised to work with "outside USA" models?
Old 05-14-14, 11:47 AM
Rezonans
Driver School Candidate

Is any new updates for this unit.
Still freezes at start up?
Old 05-27-14, 04:20 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Issue with install here. Toy1 harness not compatible with cd changer in my 01 Ls430. Emailed GROM. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-28-14, 05:47 PM
Rezonans
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
Issue with install here. Toy1 harness not compatible with cd changer in my 01 Ls430. Emailed GROM. I'll keep you posted.
I has to be "lex" cable, only this one fit our head unit, if you order from them, you have to make a note for them to supply you, with right one.
The reason what really stop me to buy this unit, is the problem, that freezes the unit at start up.
I hope they will fix it, in the new version of firmware.
Old 06-16-14, 02:38 PM
honasbone
Driver

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
Did you get this issue resolved? I recently purchased the Audiovox mediabridge. Their site also mentions that it is only supported in '03 and up LS 430. I bought it anyway thinking if it worked in an '03, it must also work in an '01. Hoping I wasn't wrong.