LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Seat Cooling Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-11, 07:05 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Seat Cooling Idea?

OK, I'm trying it, but the weather cooled down. Someone in the furnace of the country try this tomorrow and report the results. Talk about low tech...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ont-seats.html
Old 07-13-11, 07:17 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont have a problem with my seat cooling. It works pretty good. Then again I dont really have anything to compare to. I usually just max our the A/C and vent the air down with the seat cooler on. Works like a charm to me.
Old 07-13-11, 07:28 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool idea, very innovative. I never really use the seat coolers as I'm always pretty satisfied with the A/C (which is cools the car down really quick, even if it's been parked outside for a few hrs at 90+ Deg F). Cooled seats are just another thing I would show to my friends, like the moving vents, power seat belt adjusters, etc.
Old 07-13-11, 08:00 PM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I will try it as soon as I get back home on Friday. Miami is furnace-like around now. I hope it works too cause I can use a little more seat cooling. Also I can't help but thing that over the years, the perf in the seat must get clogged with lint, cleaning and leather conditioning products and just general mung. Has anyone tried cleaning the perforations out? Is it worth the effort? Am I just too sick from altitude in Mexico City?

Last edited by mannye; 07-13-11 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Add a crack about altitude.
Old 07-13-11, 09:19 PM
parkerjs
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if it works it's definately a system that won't cost $1,000 and 3 days at the dealer to fix.
Old 07-13-11, 09:41 PM
VegasIS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try that tomorrow, as Vegas is 105+ degrees every day in the summer! I barely feel any air coming out of my seat.
Old 07-14-11, 12:19 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Great idea! Im going to try it tomorrow
Old 07-14-11, 06:24 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

i dont turn mine off this time of the year.heat index's of 105-123 degrees.
Old 07-14-11, 07:08 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

think the seat coolers are the biggest looser for my 05,, clean filter or no filter they have never really offer a cool seat for long,,

I would have liked a way to control the fan unit on and really pump some air through those holes,,

Derry
Old 07-14-11, 10:09 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Impressive! think I will step it up a notch with Velcro and cheap color matching rubber floor mats and see how well it does.
Old 07-16-11, 09:56 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I live in Phoenix and don't have a problem with my seat cooling. I just keep clean filter in the seat inlet and that's all I do. I think that's vital. The seat cooling inlet (just under the front of the seat) is in probably the worst environmental area of the car. The floor mat catches all the dirt tracked in, get brushed up every time you get in the car and can easily go into the seat cooling inlet. I think this results in a need to keep the floor mat and seat filters clean.
Old 07-19-11, 06:05 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, everyone report in.

We've got temps back up in the 90s again and I have to admit the seat does feel a bit cooler with the front of the rear seat floor mat flipped up against the back of the driver's seat. I had it down for a couple days when I was carrying passengers, but flipped it up this week when it got hot outside.
Old 07-20-11, 06:50 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

I rolled a large towel up and stuffed into the hole attempting to close the area off better than the floor mat would,, I also looked at the sides to see if there was other holes for air to escape,,

yes it does help,, I find the blower setting needs to be mid way to notice with air floor on the floor and dash vents,,

I also pulled both filters, they are clean but wanted nothing in the path of air suction,,

I going to cut some soft dark gray foam for fit and place there, then if anyone wants to adjust the seat height it will still do the job,, since we seldom have anyone in the back seat I would like to tie that floor vent directly into the under seat intake and let the the blower help on pressurizing the seat,,

now I would like to have a higher air flow out of the seat holes,, any suggestions on that improvement,,??

thanks

Derry
Old 07-20-11, 07:48 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

how about a custom flexible air ducting straight from half or whole of the rear floor vents straight into the intake of the seat blower? that way you could also leave out the filter totally because the air is already filtered - that would improve the flow and also act as an improved cold air induction system.

would be alot more work but be clean and neat
Old 07-20-11, 11:35 AM
Volo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried this setup. I can always re-attach it back, there is the plactic semi round fastener on the end of the flap. I feel it cools somewhat better but have not had a chance really to test it more.
Attached Thumbnails Seat Cooling Idea?-p1000979.jpg  

Quick Reply: Seat Cooling Idea?