LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

weird navigation screen

Old 01-20-11, 10:42 AM
zidge1751
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird navigation screen

I was messing around in the override menu and accidentally hit a program in the program list. Now there is Japanese writing and a caution error wrong disc screen that wont go away. I tried disconnecting the nav unit and disconnecting the battery to try and reset it back to normal to no avail.

BTW I also can not eject the disc to try that as the eject button does not work.
Old 01-21-11, 08:16 AM
zidge1751
Driver School Candidate

The car is a 2002 and FYI the menu button no longer functions or the destination button. I need to somehow reset the unit back to factory. I fixed the non ejecting disk issue. I can eject and re insert with no problem. How do I get back into the overide menu without the menu button functioning? If there is a way I might be able to put the system back into the right program.
Old 01-21-11, 10:02 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

if i recall correctly a member did this on his gs model and had to replace the nav ecu
Old 01-21-11, 02:16 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

To get back into the override menu, try this:

* Engage parking Brake.
* Start the engine.
* While pressing and holding "OPTION", turn the parking lights on 3 times as follows: OFF->ON->OFF->ON->OFF->ON->OFF.
* The diagnostic mode starts and the system check screen will be displayed.
* Turn the ignition off to exit.

I would take a picture of the Japanese text and get someone that can read Japanese to translate.

Last edited by StanVanDam; 01-27-11 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Corrected instructions
Old 01-21-11, 03:10 PM
zidge1751
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
To get back into the override menu, try this:

1. Start the engine.
2. While pressing and holding "OPTION", operate the light control switch as follows: OFF->ON->OFF->ON->OFF->ON->OFF.
3. The diagnostic mode starts and the system check screen will be displayed.
4. Turn the ignition off the exit.

I would take a picture of the Japanese text and get someone that can read Japanese to translate.
OK This will not get me back in to the override. this is what it says in english on the error screen.
CAUTION

Error; System unable to access the program

Incorrect program disk.
Please insert proper disk

the word caution is highlighted in blue

FYI The disk is the right disk.
Old 01-21-11, 03:12 PM
zidge1751
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sakataj
if i recall correctly a member did this on his gs model and had to replace the nav ecu
Out of curiosity is the nav ecu 2 units or just the unit with the DVD.
Old 01-21-11, 03:17 PM
zidge1751
Driver School Candidate

The error is in both japanese and english. Attached is a photo I took.
Attached Thumbnails weird navigation screen-fr_83_size640.jpg  
Old 01-21-11, 04:09 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The japanese is the same as the english,it can't read the disc,and wants you to put the correct one in.

Justin...
Old 01-21-11, 06:40 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Did you engage the lock latch on the DVD drive after inserting the disc? If you are using a backup, try using an OEM disc. Also note that after you insert a disc with a higher version than current, you can't use the old disc anymore.

If the lock is engaged and it still says that, maybe you hit a button inside the maintenance menu that wiped out the system firmware that loads prior to loading the DVD map data, so you might need a different DVD to reinstall the system firmware. If this is the case, I don't think the dealer would be able to fix this, and would recommend a new ECU.

It would help to backtrace and figure out the exact button that caused this problem, and all text on every screen leading to this button.
Old 01-21-11, 08:37 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by zidge1751
Out of curiosity is the nav ecu 2 units or just the unit with the DVD.
the unit with the dvd

Originally Posted by zidge1751
The error is in both japanese and english. Attached is a photo I took.
i hate to break it to you but from my recollection this is the same error pic that guy posted....you may have fubared that thing

try searching the 2nd gen gs section to find that OLD thread
Old 01-22-11, 04:23 AM
zidge1751
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fergo308
The japanese is the same as the english,it can't read the disc,and wants you to put the correct one in.

Justin...
I never changed the disk. It is the same one from when the system was new.
Old 01-22-11, 04:28 AM
zidge1751
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
Did you engage the lock latch on the DVD drive after inserting the disc? If you are using a backup, try using an OEM disc. Also note that after you insert a disc with a higher version than current, you can't use the old disc anymore.

If the lock is engaged and it still says that, maybe you hit a button inside the maintenance menu that wiped out the system firmware that loads prior to loading the DVD map data, so you might need a different DVD to reinstall the system firmware. If this is the case, I don't think the dealer would be able to fix this, and would recommend a new ECU.

It would help to backtrace and figure out the exact button that caused this problem, and all text on every screen leading to this button.
I know exactly what it was. In the override screen there is a button that says programs. I pressed it out of stupid curiosity and selected a program from a list that popped up and pressed ok

That is when the screen popped up.

I think what is happening is the system is trying to access the program i picked and it requires a different disk not the factory disk. I think if I can reset the unit to factory it would work again albeit it would wipe out all my marked points and stuff.
Old 01-22-11, 06:13 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

That sounds reasonable especially if you had not touched the drive or disk and this error showed up just from pushing a button on the UI. The error you are seeing under the conditions you describe could happen if there is something like a maintenance disk that has different bootstrap code on it. Under this scenario the NAV unit goes out to look for a different disk and not seeing it complains with that code.

But it may also just be a time coincidence and you may have the disk player break and now needs repair. It may take a trip to the dealer to sort it out.
Old 01-22-11, 06:48 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
That sounds reasonable especially if you had not touched the drive or disk and this error showed up just from pushing a button on the UI. The error you are seeing under the conditions you describe could happen if there is something like a maintenance disk that has different bootstrap code on it. Under this scenario the NAV unit goes out to look for a different disk and not seeing it complains with that code.

But it may also just be a time coincidence and you may have the disk player break and now needs repair. It may take a trip to the dealer to sort it out.
You, sir, are a gentleman. You post useful info and say nothing negative, though we know you don't care for the factory nav unit.

(I have to add a nod to gentlemen...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoQXa...layer_embedded

Last edited by caddyowner; 01-22-11 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-22-11, 07:41 AM
fencera
Rookie

Hey-

I completely messed up the navigation on my 2004 trying to make a hybrid update dvd (newer nav files, but with ability for override still) and had a similar problem...

There is a small button cell battery in the dvd reader in the trunk (2004 at least). I took the nav dvd reader out of the trunk, took it apart, took the button cell out, gave it a few minutes to reset then put it all back together. It was like the car was brand new again. If you haven't physically messed anything up, this may work for you. Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: weird navigation screen