LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

weird navigation screen

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-11, 08:39 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

ok OP i found it......1st post is the same pic you have as far as i know he didnt fix it but might wanna PM OP and ask him ALSO....check post # 9 which kind of confirms it might be fubared

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...is-screen.html

browsed this thread and it might help for some of you but it doesnt have any help to this topic i can see but it might help someone

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post2189664

my gs is currently utilizing a Gen 4 nav ecu (not the gen 2/3 the gs430 came with) but not for the reason your having. my nav ecu just fried out. if yours is fried, OP just buy a gen 4 nav ecu its alot better anyways i got mine from a pruis for about $400

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...direction.html

and then get a custom override system

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ification.html

Originally Posted by fencera
Hey-

I completely messed up the navigation on my 2004 trying to make a hybrid update dvd (newer nav files, but with ability for override still) and had a similar problem...

There is a small button cell battery in the dvd reader in the trunk (2004 at least). I took the nav dvd reader out of the trunk, took it apart, took the button cell out, gave it a few minutes to reset then put it all back together. It was like the car was brand new again. If you haven't physically messed anything up, this may work for you. Good luck!
i recall reading a thread on this also when i was having Nav issues myself...

i dont think all the nav systems have this.....their is ALSO a thread in the GS section on this too

Last edited by sakataj; 01-22-11 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-22-11, 10:11 AM
zidge1751
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey-

I completely messed up the navigation on my 2004 trying to make a hybrid update dvd (newer nav files, but with ability for override still) and had a similar problem...

There is a small button cell battery in the dvd reader in the trunk (2004 at least). I took the nav dvd reader out of the trunk, took it apart, took the button cell out, gave it a few minutes to reset then put it all back together. It was like the car was brand new again. If you haven't physically messed anything up, this may work for you. Good luck!
Out of curiosity in the 2004 was the cmos battery soldered to the mother board like in the 2002.
Old 01-23-11, 05:36 AM
zidge1751
Driver School Candidate

Well I took the puppy apart. I found a soldered Cmos battery. I pulled the connector off for a few minutes and used tape to put it back together. Screen still there Of course this year model 02 has no reset button Perhaps a sledge hammer to the box will help

BTW I got into the service check screen. FYI you need to have the parking brake engaged and just turn on the PARKING lights three times.

I cleared the code and memory. No help

I am giving up and disconnecting it so I dont have to see the screen that will forever remind me of my FU** UP

Unforkunatly I cant afford to replace it or go to the dealer.

I will cross my fingers and hope for a recall

Thanx for all the help.

BTW If someone out there is willing to sacrifice their machine and do exactly what I did and solves it feel free to respond here
Old 01-23-11, 08:33 AM
fencera
Rookie

Originally Posted by zidge1751
Out of curiosity in the 2004 was the cmos battery soldered to the mother board like in the 2002.
no, it was in a small holder just like on a computer's motherboard...
Old 01-23-11, 10:42 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Go on eBay and look for nav systems from junked LSs. The are thousands less than a new one from Lexus (albeit pricey still). Maybe you could call someone up at Lexus, explain what happened, and ask if someone can walk you through the steps (they can't charge you if you're not there in person right?)
Old 01-23-11, 04:02 PM
zidge1751
Driver School Candidate

no, it was in a small holder just like on a computer's motherboard...
Apparently they made the later models more user friendly IE; Non soldered batteries and reset switches.
Old 01-23-11, 04:06 PM
zidge1751
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Go on eBay and look for nav systems from junked LSs. The are thousands less than a new one from Lexus (albeit pricey still). Maybe you could call someone up at Lexus, explain what happened, and ask if someone can walk you through the steps (they can't charge you if you're not there in person right?)
Not worth the time or effort if my only recourse is a different unit. All of my 150 marked points will be gone and I pretty much no how to get everywhere now.

I will chock this up to experience and look forward to when I am ready to get a new ls (better to invest my money in a new car anyhoo

Thanx again for all the help guys

Later gators
Old 01-24-11, 07:01 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I suggest to take it to your dealer and have them determine what is wrong and what the fix is. It might be a very simple and relatively cheap fix for them to solve. Then you would know the extent of the problem and whether or not you wanted to pay to have it fixed. Just my opinion on what I would do if that happened to me.
Old 01-27-11, 12:39 PM
davvv
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a 2002 ls430 mine has the same error and we got it the same way
i went to the dealer and they said it would be 125 to troubleshoot it and it would be around a thousand to fix it. they knew what the problem is but they still want the 125 for troubleshooting it. i walked away and im still tryin to find a fix!!!!!! its been months and im used to it but ive never used it so if nyone finds a fix post it up!
Old 01-27-11, 08:50 PM
96sc3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

crap, i am on the same boat. I hope there is a fix soon.
Old 01-27-11, 09:18 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Wow, maybe we should warn people about this.

Note to all: Don't go into the Nav override's Programs menu, and definitely don't select a program!
Old 01-28-11, 02:34 PM
zidge1751
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 96sc3
crap, i am on the same boat. I hope there is a fix soon.
I found a fix Its called buy a new car
Old 01-28-11, 02:40 PM
zidge1751
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by davvv
i have a 2002 ls430 mine has the same error and we got it the same way
i went to the dealer and they said it would be 125 to troubleshoot it and it would be around a thousand to fix it. they knew what the problem is but they still want the 125 for troubleshooting it. i walked away and im still tryin to find a fix!!!!!! its been months and im used to it but ive never used it so if nyone finds a fix post it up!
More than likely they take your car in the back. Turn your lights on and off 4 times while pressing the menu, destination button at the same time they open and close the sun roof while while they raise and lower the windows than say thanx for the 1125 bucks and wait for the next schmuck who did this to roll in
Old 01-28-11, 02:45 PM
zidge1751
Driver School Candidate

BTW dont waste your time attempting to get into the system check screen IE: Parking lights on and off whilst holding the options button, as clearing code and memory which is all there is to do there does not help. I bet there is some way that only the dealer is privy to to reset the thing. Thus the 1125 comes in. There is no way they are replacing it for that price as it cost 2500 to replace.
Old 01-28-11, 04:34 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Are your radio and HVAC controls via the nav screen also screwed up? Can you control anthing?

Quick Reply: weird navigation screen