LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

lowering the LS430

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-10, 07:38 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts
Default lowering the LS430

The ride of my LS is a bit soft for my liking and the cars steering is not as direct and precise as I want. I am putting another 4 new tires on it this week because I don't like the 225/55/18 Hancook 727s I bought 3 weeks ago .... I am switching to a 245/45/18 Continental.

I am thinking I may have to also put on coil overs and drop the car slightly to get the better handling and ride I want. Here are my questions ...

What coil overs are firm but not harsh ? I am not racing, but I want better control. I searched but found nothing.

What should I expect to pay for the 4 coil overs and labour to install them ?

Thanks
Old 10-04-10, 08:13 AM
94LSon20
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ltunedparts.com
Old 10-04-10, 08:19 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

everyone who has the jic-magics swears by them but they are like $2400 just for the coilovers. i got a set of brand new from a CL vendor (discount for CL members) set of bc racing coilovers for $850 or so. installed was like $200 more i think. i love them 90% of the time but about 10% of the time they are a little harsh. i have mine set to almost full soft and it feels like a 7 series bmw now as opposed to the soft floaty caddi feel that it had.

meagans are also a very popular choice and are like $700 so those are even cheaper.
Old 10-04-10, 10:42 AM
Stu
Racer

Yes, it is the floaty Cadillac feel I want to get rid of.

Can I put on coilovers, keep the car at stock height AND get rid of the floaty Cadillac feel ?
Old 10-04-10, 12:52 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the car is pretty well tuned as it is. The car is a bit too soft for hard cornering, but if you just drive around casually I think the ride is a pretty good compromise. It doesn't just wallow and flow over bumps, some bigger ones you do feel (almost as hard as my 3 series sometimes) and the car doesn't wallow after you hit it. Idk, maybe it's b/c I only have 26k miles on it so things are still new and tight.

That being said, coilovers will definitely sharpen it up a lot. Are there any performance springs/shock/strut combo out there for the LS? That might be a better (and cheaper) solution for daily driving. From what I learned on the 3 series forum, coilovers are overkill for everyday use (though excellent for the track). They should give you an awesome aggressive stance though.
Old 10-04-10, 01:11 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by sojah
everyone who has the jic-magics swears by them but they are like $2400 just for the coilovers. i got a set of brand new from a CL vendor (discount for CL members) set of bc racing coilovers for $850 or so. installed was like $200 more i think. i love them 90% of the time but about 10% of the time they are a little harsh. i have mine set to almost full soft and it feels like a 7 series bmw now as opposed to the soft floaty caddi feel that it had.

meagans are also a very popular choice and are like $700 so those are even cheaper.
I forgot to thank you for this info - thanks

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
I think the car is pretty well tuned as it is. The car is a bit too soft for hard cornering, but if you just drive around casually I think the ride is a pretty good compromise. It doesn't just wallow and flow over bumps, some bigger ones you do feel (almost as hard as my 3 series sometimes) and the car doesn't wallow after you hit it. Idk, maybe it's b/c I only have 26k miles on it so things are still new and tight.

That being said, coilovers will definitely sharpen it up a lot. Are there any performance springs/shock/strut combo out there for the LS? That might be a better (and cheaper) solution for daily driving. From what I learned on the 3 series forum, coilovers are overkill for everyday use (though excellent for the track). They should give you an awesome aggressive stance though.
I may have been unclear, as I really don't want to lower the car, or make it super stiff so it will corner fast. I only really want to get the car to steer more precisely,, I have taken it for a four wheel alignment, and the car has new tires and yet it just floats over the road with almost no feel and then just wanders about, requiring a LOT of steering input to keep it going straight down the road.

I will be swiching out of the new 225/55/18 Hancook 727s I put on a few weeks ago and going into a Continental or Michelin in a 245/45/18 later this week .... and I hope things improve.
Old 10-04-10, 01:15 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Oh yeah, I remember your other thread. I still think it may be the tire size. Looks like you're going back to OEM so you should be good. Also might be worn front suspension components (in which case it is up to you whether you want to stick with OEM or go with an aftermarket setup). The car definitely should not behave like that, it really should lock itself into its own lane at any speed.
Old 10-04-10, 01:35 PM
Stu
Racer

The car has 50,000 miles ... what part(s) of the suspension should be checked for wear that might cause the car to not hold its lane ?
Old 10-04-10, 01:52 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don't you try the oem sport setup.
Old 10-04-10, 02:17 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stu
The car has 50,000 miles ... what part(s) of the suspension should be checked for wear that might cause the car to not hold its lane ?
To be honest I really don't know. I am guessing control arms or sway bars maybe? Keep in mind that I am just a pre-med student who likes cars but has no mechanical background so take everything I say with a grain of salt...a large grain. Tell the dealer about the problem and ask if it could be worn suspension components (provided the new tires don't correct it), then have them inspect it. Is there any vibration? If there is could be a bad wheel bearing. Someone here has posted about premature bearing failures.
Old 10-04-10, 02:24 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by GLIDESUL
Why don't you try the oem sport setup.
never thought of it !

When I first bought it, the seller told me it had the sport package, but I learned here it didn't, and I was actually happy. I then tried to find smaller wheels ..... didnt want 18 inch wheels ! I have never lowered any car and can't imagine starting now. It would be too firm.

Replacing $ parts that are only 50,000 miles old, I hope I get good advise, to make sure it fixes my problem. I hope a different set of tires is all it needs.

I have wanted an LS for 20 years. Its great to be here !
Old 10-04-10, 02:31 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
To be honest I really don't know. I am guessing control arms or sway bars maybe? Keep in mind that I am just a pre-med student who likes cars but has no mechanical background so take everything I say with a grain of salt...a large grain. Tell the dealer about the problem and ask if it could be worn suspension components (provided the new tires don't correct it), then have them inspect it. Is there any vibration? If there is could be a bad wheel bearing. Someone here has posted about premature bearing failures.
No vibrations or noise, just flOATING on the road.

The dealer took one look at the tires when I was there and said " its a Lexus, buy good tires " I am hoping my tire guy is nice on Wednesday and takes them back.
Old 10-04-10, 02:41 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stu
No vibrations or noise, just flOATING on the road.

The dealer took one look at the tires when I was there and said " its a Lexus, buy good tires " I am hoping my tire guy is nice on Wednesday and takes them back.
...wow...great way to keep those customers coming back...
That dealer sounds like it's filled with a bunch of pretentious ******. If it's not too far try another dealer (or a Toyota one maybe). I do like the sound of OEM sports, should make it feel a bit more buttoned down.
Old 10-04-10, 04:23 PM
gveng
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tires would have nothing to do with what you are describing. unless the tires are tracking or have a radial pull.

your description is very vague and without actually driving your car it would be very hard to diagnose. it almost sounds like your shocks are shot, that would explain the "floaty" feeling and the tie rods might be going bad... that would explain your "wandering" feeling.