LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Car drives different when loaning it out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-10, 07:34 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Car drives different when loaning it out?

Ever feel that way? I'm probably just paranoid. I have a small side detail business that I do out of my 2 car garage and I loaned a friend my car and when I got it back it felt like I needed an alignment. I know he wasn't joy riding cause he only put enough miles on it to get to his house and back to mine. I wonder if he hit a big azz pothole.

I loaned another friend my car a while back and I knew it was a bad sign seeing him load his cds into the changer. I got the car back and the ML sub was blown. He tried to hide what he did by lowering the bass all the way down. I ended up not sweating it since the sub easily fail. I ended up just sealing it with silicon.

I desparately nead to find a beater car!
Old 10-04-10, 08:18 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I only loan out cars I don't especially care about. Hence, the LS never gets loaned out.

One advantage of replacing my pickup truck with a Subaru Outback wagon is that no one wants to borrow the wagon.
Old 10-04-10, 09:53 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Likewise, I am so careful and picky about my car no way I loan them out. There are maybe 2 people on the planet to whom I would loan my LS. I'd just rather give anybody else $50 and offer to call them a cab.

btw - the dude that blew your sub and did not own up to it or offer to pay for its replacement is not your friend.
Old 10-04-10, 10:40 AM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Prime example ppl don't take care of other ppl ****** like they do there on. No one drives the ls but me and wifey only because she's on insurance.
Old 10-04-10, 12:10 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Only people that can drive it without me being present is mom and pops. Anyone else, i have to be there. No exceptions.
Old 10-04-10, 12:46 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Only people to touch the car if I'm not there is the dealer. Even when I am in the car, only people who are allowed to drive it are my parents and grandfather (of course) though they know how much I love the thing and just let me do the driving Out of my close friends I would probably only let one drive it since he is a good and smooth driver. I hate to sound like a d-bag, but I just don't want anything to happen to it.

I think about it this way: if I were the one driving and got into an accident, then I have no one to blame but myself. If someone else were driving...well it get complicated then, b/c who is going to pay the deductable? It should ideally be your friend...but would you still be friends after you made him pay $550 (not to mention not too many ppl I know have $550 lying around)? I would certainly be sour if I had to pay it. Idk, when you're driving you're fully responsible. I like it that way. That and I always park very far away from ppl, no one else does that lol.
Old 10-04-10, 12:49 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Precisely why I have never loaned my car to anyone and probably never will.
No one I know would take care of it like I do, so they are not driving it
If they need a ride, I'll happily drive them.

I think I did let someone drive my last car, once, but he was someone I 100% trusted,
and if he damaged it in any way, he would have told me and paid to fix it.
Old 10-04-10, 04:28 PM
gveng
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know the feeling. my g/f always wants to borrow my car. we always get in a fight about it because i never let her. she's a horrible driver and i would never let her drive my car. but i'm running out of excuses on why she can't. one of these days i'm just going to tell her... lol
Old 10-04-10, 04:53 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by gveng
i know the feeling. my g/f always wants to borrow my car. we always get in a fight about it because i never let her. she's a horrible driver and i would never let her drive my car. but i'm running out of excuses on why she can't. one of these days i'm just going to tell her... lol
funny ! yeah, tell her she's a lousy driver and see what that gets you, lol.

To be frank, I don't even like the dealer driving it, lol. Not surprising that not too many of my friends would even ask to borrow my car.
Old 10-04-10, 04:59 PM
gveng
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stu
funny ! yeah, tell her she's a lousy driver and see what that gets you, lol.

To be frank, I don't even like the dealer driving it, lol. Not surprising that not too many of my friends would even ask to borrow my car.
yeah, i know it will lead to a fight, but it would actually be worth it. lol.
Old 10-04-10, 05:00 PM
m3nv
Pole Position

Its worse when you borrow a friends car and feel it drives different from when you first picked it up! I've been in that situation before but i think it was just in my head..