Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Want to know about JIC coilover

Old 09-19-06, 08:32 AM
JohnnyIS25
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to know about JIC coilover

Im just wondering is anyone using the JIC magic FLT-A2 coilover on thier car,im wondering about the ride smoothness,and how it is. I know this is like a newb question.
Old 09-19-06, 11:15 AM
Redpaste
Lead Lap

From what I heard, and this is only what I heard, so take this as an opinion only. My installer said they are a pain in the *** to install. Not only that, difficult to dial in the right comfort/stiffer setting since there really isn't pre set setting. Which means you will be tweaking it a lot to get right.
Old 09-19-06, 11:39 AM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

pain in the ***? no quite easy acutally. I think installing springs are more of a pain in the *** than coilovers. When i installed mine they just dropped out and i put the new ones in. btw the ride is great. My friend couldn't tell the diff from stock and the coil (set on softest) w my 19's. and if you get coils GET CORNER BALANCING!

Last edited by ihkskim; 09-19-06 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-19-06, 11:46 AM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

i like ihkskims car.. its nice..
Old 09-19-06, 12:04 PM
ExKoukiS14
Rookie

installation of coilovers is the same for all manufactures. The design/shape is very similar between any coilover manf. It's just the spring rates and valving that mostly changes.
(Aside from other diffs likes inverted tube, camber plates, ..blah blah). -the shape and mounting points are the same.

I've had both JIC FLT-A2's and TEIN's HE's on my previous car.
JIC gave me better performance but at the cost of a harder ride.
Note that this was on a "sport-coupe" (98 S14) so it's hard to compare with the IS.
Old 09-19-06, 01:48 PM
jinetix
Pole Position

I'm using the JIC FLT-A2s and the ride is better than my stock sport suspension. The installation is not a pain in the ***, it was very simple.. got it installed in less than an hour. I have the coilovers set on the stiffest setting.
Old 09-19-06, 01:50 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

adjustability of aftermarket systems dampening is how you can get the ride close to stock or to however your liking is
Old 09-19-06, 10:01 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agee with ihkskim. Swapping shocks or springs are significantly more difficult than installing coilovers. Setup is pretty easy if you aproach it correctly. If it takes more than one adjustment to the spring perches, then you're not doing it right.

Regarding the JICs, I had them on my S2000, and I thought they were just okay. The dampers that JIC used really needed external reservoirs to increase the total damper travel, but they didn't do it. JIC also specified that the springs NOT be preloaded on the dampers. This made the dampers bottom out on the bump stops really easily. Everyone with that set wound up blowing off JICs instructions, and preloaded them anyway to even out the up / down travel.
Old 09-19-06, 11:10 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

JIC customer service isn't all that great from what i've heard...

coilovers require less work for install since you don't have to separate the spring and strut... assuming it's a strut...

coilovers have the spring and strut together so it's one less step for installing. Yea, it's so much easier to install than regular spring and strut.
Old 09-19-06, 11:25 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

The IS uses shocks, not struts.
Old 09-21-06, 01:02 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A close friend of mine had JIC's on his Miata and RX8 and they are fantastic I must say and the quality is top notch.
Old 09-21-06, 08:35 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do the jic coilovers allow you to bring the camber back to factory specs?
Old 09-21-06, 09:42 AM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

you can get camber plates but you'll be sacrificing rub issues i think.. unless you get a higher offset
Old 09-21-06, 11:50 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Other than the change in alignment due to change in ride height, shocks and coilovers have nothing to do with any alignment parameters. That's what separates shocks from struts. I also don't see any way a "camber plate" could be implemented for the same reason. The only thing I could see doing to adjust caster or camber is replacing the upper control arm mounts with cam bolts.
Old 09-21-06, 12:53 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
Other than the change in alignment due to change in ride height, shocks and coilovers have nothing to do with any alignment parameters. That's what separates shocks from struts. I also don't see any way a "camber plate" could be implemented for the same reason. The only thing I could see doing to adjust caster or camber is replacing the upper control arm mounts with cam bolts.
JIC has camber plates that go on top of the coilovers and you can adjust them. i don't know any details though. i THINK its this though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want to know about JIC coilover