Looking for LS430 around $10K

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-09, 09:09 PM
anx90
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for LS430 around $10K

Hi guys,

I'm new to this fantastic website and need help with my father's quest for a "new" car.

My father is about to get off of his lease on his Honda Accord and is in need of a car. He has always admired the 2001-2006 LS430's and has wanted to own one, however finances always seemed to get in the way.

I've made it a mission on my part to get him one after his lease is over. As of right now, I've found a couple on craigslist and other sites. Considering the fact that I'd like to stay as close to $10K as possible, I have found them to be 2001 LS's and between 100-150K miles. Normally, this would make me a bit uneasy buying a used car and all, but I know that Lexus/Toyota has unmatched reliability and build quality so I'm willing to take a chance.

If I were to go with something that old/used, would maintenance and overall reliability be a big issue? Would you guys suggest buying a certified one even if it will cost a lot more? Or would buying sometime of extended warranty through an outside party be advisable? W

Is there a particular model year I should avoid? Any big problems to look out for? The only problem I have heard of with Toyota products is the Sienna (1998-2000) transmission issues.

As a side note, I've gotta hand it to Lexus on having excellent resale value especially when the more expensive S500 can be had for about the same. Was also wondering, are there any auctions for Lexus vehicles, where I would be able to find a good deal?

I'm in the Anaheim, CA area and I have about 4 months to shop around but I want to know what to expect.

Thanks,
Gina
Old 12-12-09, 09:37 PM
liquid2
Pole Position

First off, It's admirable that you want to help your father.
Sadly though, your 'quest' may backfire. The problem is your price range of 10k (even up to 15k) greatly limits the amount of cars you have to choose from. Although, it is true that Lexus has great reliablity, I would approach these cars that you are finding with great caution. Even 10k$ for a 150k mile ls430 sounds like a deal that's too good to be true. Usually, these cars may have been in accidents, have some type of damage, or defect.
Maintenance and overall reliability is of course an issue, even with these cars. Frequent,&timely maintenance go in hand with the legendary reliablity of lexus and toyota. If something big were to go wrong on the car, it can become very expensive. I would look into ensuring they have maintenance documents to go with the car. Checking the cars history with autocheck would be important too.

I highly recommend the CPO warranty. I don't have much experience with third party warranties, but I think they don't warranty cars over 100k miles.
I do understand that you are trying to do a good deed for your father, but it seems that it may be worthwhile for you to look in a different direction. You'll have much better luck looking for a es330 in that price range.
Old 12-13-09, 03:03 AM
tkbalt
Driver

agree with prior post that it may be a challange to find what you are looking for in the 10K range. That said, I am certain there are some well maintained higher mileage cars out there.

We found an 03 with 38K miles in perfect condition, CPO - but paid 20K (last February). While I am certain there are many well maintained, higher mileage cars out there for less - 10K is probably going to limit your selection if you want to stay in the 01 - 06 model years.

I am a fan of the CPO warranty - have bought 4 Lexus models (3 ES and 1 LS) over the years with this warranty and used it every time for some fairly expensive repairs. As an example, just had my 03 into the dealer yesterday to replace parking sensors. I am not sure what the tab would be to replace 4 of them - but am glad I did not have to ask.

As prior poster mentioned - might also want to include the ES in your search. They are great cars and you are probably going to find more of a selection in the price range you mention. We have had 3 of them - the last being an 01 which we sold (last March) with 58K miles. The 60K maintenance had just been done and the car was perfect. This car would be right in your price range and I am sure there are many out there.
Old 12-13-09, 03:22 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to CL, look at ebay each day to get a feel for prices and mileage. Take your time, great deals are out there! The ES would also be worthy of a look. Good Luck
Old 12-13-09, 05:00 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Luxury cars, of any brand, at a $10K price or lower are most always at an age or mileage where there are expensive repairs. You can easily see $1,000-$2,000 of repairs per year, plus the inconvenience of having the car in the shop for extended periods. Things break with age / miles and on these cars, the "things" and their repair are expensive. (I know, my sons or I have owned a few. My current 91 Allante with only 35K miles that I bought for $10K miles cost me $3K in maintenance and repairs in the first year. BTW the Allante cost over $60K when new.) If a person understands this and plans for it, no problem. However, if the car is supposed to be a reliable daily driver with low operating costs, there are much better choices for a $10K used car.
Old 12-13-09, 12:06 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my bro has a 01 silver been sitting..I think he is selling for around 10k.. it has less than 100k miles clean title ca car.. if you interested i can put you in contect with him..
Old 12-28-09, 05:38 PM
dangie
Driver School Candidate

Default Wish you lived closer!

Gina:
I have a 2001 LS 430 with 125K and I'm selling it. Why?? Just bought an identical 2002 from a local woman who is widowed and moving away. I'm 71 and a proud grandfather of seven, I love these cars and simply do not want the newer body style. My "new" 2002 has 30K and that's what is important to me at this stage in life. My 2001 is still stong and runs like a new car. Hope you follow through with your plans for your dad. Have someone you trust look at any car you see, and look at the maintenance records carefully. If all is well and the car looks good, go for it. They're the best car in the world; pound for dollar!! Good luck! Dangie in Ohio
Old 12-29-09, 04:39 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A $10K LS430 is going to almost be no newer than 2002, have mileage in excess of 150K, and some body damage (definitely not in clean condition). A LS430 with less than 150K and clean all over will be more than $10K for sure. If your budget is really only $10K, then it's going to be a tough search, but you have four months as you said.

Also, a $10K LS430 is probably not going to come from any retail dealer, it's going to be private party, so you'll have to do your own searching on CarFax, etc. for history. You can also use the VIN and check Lexus site to see for any dealership maintenance history. Under $10K will also most likely be the base or premium model. Doubt a Modern Luxury or above model will be under $10K either.

As for which years to "avoid" there really isn't any that you have to be worried about per say. Only in 2004 were there two recalls for transmission and fuel pump. Both were early model year runs and involved replacing the items. These you can also check through Lexus.

Anyway, hopefully you can find something good for your dad. $10K is not a good number to start with, especially for a LS430. Perhaps like someone else said, you might want to look into an ES300 or possibly 330. Best of luck...
Old 12-29-09, 06:18 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like your describing (10k$) an 98-02 gs with 100+k miles. good luck.