Just scored a killer LS430

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-11, 07:14 PM
Samsun19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just scored a killer LS430

Hello,

My name is Sam, I am Lexus Newbie, and this is my 1st post here on this excellent board.

Thanks to all the knowledgeable members participating here.

I just purchased my first Lexus, a 2003 LS430 UL, with 36.5K miles. It's so clean, friends are asking if it's new, lol....

I'm coming from several years with a 5 series BMW, and prior to that I drove a 944 Porsche, so its really apples, oranges and pears....

I was looking for the smoothest ride, combined with the highest reliability potential. I think I did ok

A few questions, if any one can help?

I purchased the car from a dealer updated with all current maintenance/services, and of course, 2003 didn't qualify for CPO, but they did offer an optional extended warranty.

1. Does a 2003 LS430UL with only 36.5K miles on it, need an extended warranty? After reading a few threads, it seems like these cars are very dependable. ( I realize there is no clear right or wrong answer, but I'd like to hear everyones opinion)?

2. Does anyone have a great independent Lexus mechanic/repair shop they can recommend in or near, West Los Angeles/Santa Monica/Brentwood... CA?

3. What tires do you recommend for a soft, cushy ride.... (back issues, don't want to feel any road vibration, etc) ?

4. After a few hours with the owners manual, my head is spinning, and its going to take some time for me to learn about the car.... But, does anyone know if I can link an iphone, to the car, for hands free cell use? And if so, what do I need to buy to hand shake the phone to the car?

Thanks!

Here she is..... Blue Onyx pearl, MINT! I think this one might be a keeper, hehehehe...
Attached Thumbnails Just scored a killer LS430-21588895175.304354141.im1.main.565x421_a.562x421.jpg  
Old 10-02-11, 08:20 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Samsun19
1. Does a 2003 LS430UL with only 36.5K miles on it, need an extended warranty? After reading a few threads, it seems like these cars are very dependable. ( I realize there is no clear right or wrong answer, but I'd like to hear everyones opinion)?

2. Does anyone have a great independent Lexus mechanic/repair shop they can recommend in or near, West Los Angeles/Santa Monica/Brentwood... CA?

3. What tires do you recommend for a soft, cushy ride.... (back issues, don't want to feel any road vibration, etc) ?

4. After a few hours with the owners manual, my head is spinning, and its going to take some time for me to learn about the car.... But, does anyone know if I can link an iphone, to the car, for hands free cell use? And if so, what do I need to buy to hand shake the phone to the car?

my thoughts

1. Lexus makes money on the warranty. Keep your money. I took my chances on a 2005 with 60,000 miles and not one serious issue,

Last edited by Stu; 10-02-11 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-02-11, 09:12 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice! Congrats and welcome, that LS looks real clean! Save your money on the warranty. Mine has the CPO and it's next to useless (you'd be amazed at the things it doesn't cover). I bought the car with a slightly bent plastic on the bottom of the driver's door and the dealer refused to replace it under warranty (so guess who had to give them a gratuitous amount of $$....).

Nuff about my problems, enjoy the new car!

Edit: I should add that the car has been extremely reliable. Hot or cold, it's never let me down and the electronics always work well no matter the temp. It's a really well built car the LS430.
Old 10-02-11, 09:54 PM
99LSBrad
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet car!

As others have said. Save the money. You'll probably never need the warranty. I bought my 03 in July 10 with 57k on it for $14k from an individual. All I needed to do is replace front shocks. It is a phenomenal car!
Old 10-02-11, 10:27 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice ls you picked up. As for your phone you can get a cassette adapter like I use, or you can go the vais route do a search here. Unfortunately bluetooth wasn't available until 04 with the ls.
Old 10-03-11, 02:45 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the new ride. I love it when folks find these cream puffs. I would suggest that you put the warranty money in the bank and save it for "minor" stuff that is likely to fail like mirrors and tilt/telescope steering motors. Oh, and save up for that 90K timing belt / water pump service which you are likely to require soon just due to the age of the car. The car is reliable, but not cheap to keep.

As for tires, a quick search will net you a load of info. Michelin Primacy seems to be a favorite, but check which variant folks like.

Enjoy your new ride. I love that color.
Old 10-03-11, 03:37 AM
jwhite4304
Driver School Candidate

Welcome and I too have just joined the Lexus owner club with an 06 430! I am thrilled with the car and look forward to the years ahead.
Jimbo
Old 10-03-11, 05:32 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Great looking car. The UL version is an amazing car with a lot of extra cool stuff on it that is fun but it also is extra stuff that can break over time and is not cheap to fix. In my opinion, the UL is the only version of the LS where an extended warranty may make economic sense. But is not a clear cut no brainer - the car is extremely reliable. If you do look for warranty shop around prices and coverage varies...your insurance company probably sells one and its likely lower cost than most. Or put the money in the bank and self insure.

My own anecdotal experience - I have an 06 CPO LS and in 2 years ownership my car has had one repair issue - the power driver side mirror stopped working. Lexus replaced under CPO warranty - would have been a $700 repair bill.
Old 10-03-11, 09:31 AM
Samsun19
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies, info, and good wishes.

While I did do some research on the LS before purchasing, its the "UL" factor, I didn't really have a handle on.

It's always a gamble when purchasing any automobile, especially one with so many bells and whistles....

Please keep the replies coming....

Still hope to hear a recommendation for a repair shop in West Los Angeles?

And.....

5. With so many LS owners changing wheels, I was wondering how going to bigger wheel, 18", 19", etc.... effects the ride? Is that mostly for appearances? Or does the effect of the size, motivate the change? (It does seem like my stock wheels have a little too much clearance in the wheel well from an aesthetic pov.)
Old 10-03-11, 09:49 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Going to a larger diameter wheel and running a lower profile tire to maintiain overall tire circumference may improve handling slightly and make the ride firmer (or harsher if you go much above 18"). In order to shrink the distance between the tire and fender you'll need to lower the car, which will likely also have the same side effects as listed above.
Old 10-03-11, 09:56 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

And.....

5. With so many LS owners changing wheels, I was wondering how going to bigger wheel, 18", 19", etc.... effects the ride? Is that mostly for appearances? Or does the effect of the size, motivate the change? (It does seem like my stock wheels have a little too much clearance in the wheel well from an aesthetic pov.)
Some may disagree but aftermarket wheels are "mostly" a personal touch done mostly for cosmetic reasons.

Bigger wheels will help performance slighly - if you drive the car on a race track or love to take freeway on / off ramps at high speed, but they will also give you a firmer ride. If you have back issues and don't want to feel the road, I strongly advise against larger wheels. You are best off on 17inch wheels, although 18 inch wheels "may" be OK too.

The larger size tires are also more expensive and tend to be higher performance rubber, which will be noiser. Oh yes, and these expensive tires will wear out faster too.

Last edited by Stu; 10-03-11 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-03-11, 11:10 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats and great answers in here. I think even for driving around town, bigger/wider wheels give the LS 430 a more planted feeling with the road. Lexus suspension is fantastic where ride quality rarely suffers badly.
Old 10-03-11, 04:55 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say what you are riding on now (17") would be ideal for a cushy ride. Wait till the current tires wear out before you decide on replacement.

As for larger diameter, everyone already mention the larger the wheel, the thinner the sidewall = harsher ride. Though the LS version of "harsher" is still way smoother than most cars so a factory 18" 5 spoke is best for both looks and a bit sportiness.

Looks like you got a great deal. Just go out and enjoy
Old 10-03-11, 05:43 PM
mrjazz
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on the car. Although not an independent, Jim Falk Lexus in Beverly Hills is a very high rated dealership. Bought and service my 2006 LS 430 there. Very honest and reliable place, although I am sure there are many independents on the Westside. Google it.

Cheers
mrjazz
Old 10-03-11, 07:11 PM
tkbalt
Driver

Great find - we have an 03 - got it a couple of years ago when it had 38K on it. We are now at 60K and love the ride.

I would put a set of Michelin Primacy tires on those 17" rims - you will like the ride.

As to warranty - I have used mine - replaced 2 or 3 parking sensors and both motors in the steering column - both covered under warranty. My mirror control switch is acting up and suspect it will need to be replaced at next service. We have had 4 Lexus vehicles (CPO's), and have used the plan on every one. It just depends on your pain threashold to handle what can be some pretty substantial costs if anything goes wrong.

In any event - we have always had good luck with our Lexus cars - best of luck with yours.

Quick Reply: Just scored a killer LS430