LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

UL vs. ML/CL braking power

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-09, 08:00 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default UL vs. ML/CL braking power

I test drove a ML, CL, and UL today, about 20 mi for the ML & UL and a few miles in the CL since it's basically the ML. I noticed the ML and CL have more braking power. I'm guessing the UL weighs quite a bit more? The braking is still good, just not superb like on the ML/CL. Any thoughts?

For any UL owners, anyone had any other problems other than the air suspension? I know people say it's doomed to fail, but that's what they also say about the LX470 hydraulic suspension, and most go at least 120K mi before needing replacement parts.
Old 09-18-09, 08:02 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

PS: I took both the ML and UL on the same stretch of rough road near my house. Neither I nor the salesman could tell if the UL was any quieter, nor could I tell if the air suspension was any smoother. Only difference I noticed in the suspension was the air seemed to "float" a bit more.
Old 09-19-09, 06:51 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

about braking i would guess that maybe new pads and maybe even new rotors & pads would make that UL brake like new again if its a lex dealer they should do this with no questions asked if you show interest in buying the car. i got a used car dealership to do it no questions asked.

i never drove any ls other than Ul but a lot of folks swear that the glass is thicker and quieter or something like that. if you are buying the UL strictly for air susp (like i did last year) i would get the next best thing and put the $$ saved into aftermarket air. just my thoughts though.
Old 09-19-09, 07:38 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

The UL has laminated glass as standard, which improves sound insulation.

I'm not sure, but I seem to recall that it could be included as an option in some of the other models. You can tell by looking at the top edge of the glass. You can feel the small grove between the two sheets of glass.
Old 09-19-09, 07:53 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The CL and UL both have laminated glass per the product brochure. They also have headlight washers, power door closers, and available ecru and saddle interiors.

Last edited by caddyowner; 09-19-09 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-19-09, 09:35 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Originally Posted by sojah
about braking i would guess that maybe new pads and maybe even new rotors & pads would make that UL brake like new again if its a lex dealer they should do this with no questions asked if you show interest in buying the car. i got a used car dealership to do it no questions asked.

i never drove any ls other than Ul but a lot of folks swear that the glass is thicker and quieter or something like that. if you are buying the UL strictly for air susp (like i did last year) i would get the next best thing and put the $$ saved into aftermarket air. just my thoughts though.
Yes, I checked the service history and found that the Ultra has the original pads at 50% while the CL and ML have new pads and resurfaced rotors.
Old 10-08-09, 10:47 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

The UL has dual-paned laminated glass, whereas the non-UL models have single-paned laminated glass. The dual-paned glass is thicker and improves sound insulation. I would imagine it is also much more expensive to replace.

As jayclapp above stated, you can identify the dual-paned glass by looking from the top down onto the edge.
Old 10-08-09, 06:08 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dual glass is DEFINITELY on CL also, not an option. I think you probably failed to notice the noise difference when you were in the ML. I drove several LS when I was shopping and I drove a ML and my eventual CL back to back and the difference was very noticeable.

As for braking, it's all accompanied to what you've found, that UL has still the original with only 50% left. The goodies that the UL add are not that much more than the CL, so the extra weight is not going to make you feel any braking difference.

I'm pretty sure that the braking system is the same for all LS, they are power assisted meaning if you jam on it and the system detects a panic stop, it helps apply more braking force.
Old 10-08-09, 07:55 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

The beauty and safety of laminated glass. Not only does it not shatter, it makes is really tough for someone to break into your car
Old 10-08-09, 08:18 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Holy...

Originally Posted by airtime
The beauty and safety of laminated glass. Not only does it not shatter, it makes is really tough for someone to break into your car
Hope that wasn't your car... if it was, how much to replace the glass?
Old 10-08-09, 08:18 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by airtime
Dayyyyyyuuummmm! Is that yours? Is that what happened, or did the ex finally find you?

Also, I've heard some TINTS/FILM actually help against glass shattering and add a layer of vandal resistance? Is the picture a CL or UL?
Old 10-09-09, 04:55 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that pic is airtimes UL after an attempted break in if my memory is correct ^ ^ ^, i think the insurance replaced all the glass too.
Old 10-11-09, 10:30 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Many attributes can affect braking power, most notably tire wear, and brand. The weight difference is so slight it wouldn't be noticeably in seat of the pants break feel.