LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Mirrors no longer adjust

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-14, 08:34 AM
VerbalKent
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thanks CL!

Just wanted to chime in on this...I just bought a 2001 LS430 UL and cleaned the contacts on my previously non-functional mirror switch...they now work great and judging from some of the quotes on here, this simple fix that took about 15 mins. total (out of car, 2 screws removed, board cleaned and fresh dielectric paste applied, re-assembled and re-installed) saved me quite a bit of money...money that will be going to a DataSystems with some coin to spare...again...thanks!!

Last edited by VerbalKent; 04-13-14 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-15-14, 03:25 PM
KAHUNA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My left mirror quit yesterday thought it was motor then did as someone here suggested and pushed in the button in L and it worked so contact cleaning will happen on mine to
Old 04-17-14, 08:31 AM
goldmax60
Driver School Candidate

Default Get Parts at a huge discount

By belonging to Club Lexus, we all qualify for big parts discounts at Sewell Lexus of Dallas. Go to the sight and somewhere, I have forgotten, you can let them know that you are a member of Club Lexus. By entering your sign in info, discounts will apply.

An example would be this mirror switch. It can be had for about $140 + tax in Texas and shipping of about $10. Below is the link to my 2002 LS430.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/parts-c...S430-2002.html

Here is an example of a parts explosion showing the switch.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S430-2002.html

If you look closely, you can see that you can select any Lexus vehicle.
Old 05-01-14, 04:10 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to share my experience for any others dealing with finicky mirrors. My drivers side would not move up or down via the switch and sometimes would randomly decide to function correctly. I disassembled the switch and cleaned all areas with q tip and acetone. Reinstalled and still had issues. I manually moved the mirror around up and down side to side while pressing the switch. I then sprayed wd 40 behind the housing and into the mirror assembly and to my surprise it started working again. My car is daily driven and kept outside so I'm thinking the mirror assembly gets frozen or stuck if it doesn't get played with often and needs some movement and lube to get right again.
Old 05-04-14, 10:16 AM
cablemn
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

An annoying problem and thanks to the original poster of the is fix I was able to quickly fix my mirrors today. Now if someone would post a how to for the roof antenna and how to unscrew it...
Old 01-25-15, 09:37 AM
ChinneeTee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fixed mirror switch in under 1 hr

Another $300 I saved fm this forum. switch took under 1 hr, pretty unbreakable, we pry-ed it w/ nylon pry tools fm Harbor Freight-popped right out. I was expecting corrosion encrusted connectors, not the case, it was like microbiol, moisture dirty inside the switch plate, very slight. More than a few moving parts & contacts. Cleaned all w/ CRC, added electrical grease to contacts w/ Q-tip & white lithium grease to side tabs that depress when switch is popped out. Piece of cake & mirrors are moving like bats out of hell-thanks to all for the guidance
Attached Thumbnails Mirrors no longer adjust-tools.jpg   Mirrors no longer adjust-lexus-mirror-switch-3-.jpg   Mirrors no longer adjust-lexus-mirror-switch-1-.jpg   Mirrors no longer adjust-lexus-mirror-switch-2-.jpg   Mirrors no longer adjust-lexus-mirror-switch-4-.jpg  

Old 02-10-15, 01:29 AM
Syte00
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks to this thread, I had no fear of pulling out that switch and fixing it. I used dielectric grease and lightly wiped off the contacts. Works great now!
Old 02-10-15, 06:53 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

My drivers side started acting up. Only wanting to go down and side to side but not up. Pulled it out, used a little of my MAF sensor cleaner to clean the contacts as mentioned and all is well. None of the contacts looked dirty. Maybe a little on those two center bars that come in contact with the grease. I cleaned the bars and left the OEM grease. Nice little and easy fix. Took less then 10 min.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-10-15 at 07:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kdllx470 (03-02-20)
Old 09-02-15, 11:07 AM
Limey38
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all who have provided information on this matter. I will be implementing the recommendation on my 2003 LS430
Old 09-07-15, 12:18 PM
ChinneeTee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mirror Adjustment Switch

Same w/ 1 mirror on my 2004, I just popped the switch w/ a small nylon auto trim pry bar from Harbor Freight, cleaned & put a little electric grease on the connections & it works like a charm. I think the switch just needs to be pushed back together firmly, the components loosen up
The following users liked this post:
kdllx470 (03-02-20)
Old 01-11-16, 07:20 PM
Oldsports
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks to all who posted on this thread. My 2001 LS driver side mirror stopped adjusting a few months ago. I applied the solution in this thread (including taking apart the switch and replacing the dielectric grease) and the problem was resolved!

I have another problem (maybe two) with the same mirror. When I flip the switch to fold the mirror, sometimes the mirror gets stuck and stops turning. If I toggle the switch, the mirror will eventually fold in. Once it is folded in, if I flip the switch to open the mirror it appears to open all the way and stop. However, if I toggle the switch, the mirror will inch open a little more - almost as if the mirror over-rotates. I say this because when I adjust the mirror view in this "over-rotated" position, the mirror adjustment reaches its limit when I try to turn the mirror in towards the driver.

Two questions:
1. Is it possible that the mirror needs to be lubricated to allow it to fold in without stopping? If so, is there a place to lubricate it or do I need to take the mirror apart to do it?

2. Does my theory of the mirror "over-rotating" when it is opened make sense? If so, how do I fix this? Do I need to somehow reset the rotation path of the mirror so it stops in the right place?

Thanks!

Last edited by Oldsports; 01-11-16 at 07:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-29-16, 03:35 PM
Jeckyl
Driver School Candidate

Running across this article was very timely. Was at dealer picking up vehicle that I was purchasing that had this exact problem. Evidently the prior owner had the same issue and opted for the switch replacement. Was $1000.00. This was in July of last year. Followed the tips on this thread, cleaning the contacts and replacing a little dielectric grease seems to have corrected the initial problem.

By the way, the dielectric grease was the only expense on this one (I already had the alcohol and the qtips ) and cost a whole $3.47.

Words of warning: I will say the two screws and 4 little white clips are exceptionally small. People with larger hands will have difficulty getting them back in place when removed. I highly suggest a very small phillips screwdriver and a pair of tweezers for those of you with larger phalanges.
Old 03-19-16, 10:09 PM
espresso19
Driver School Candidate

If the passenger side mirror does not automatically mover down when in revers or by switch, you think cleaning the switch will fix the problem? I can adjust the mirrors in or out but not up or down and wont adjust when in reverse.
Old 03-27-16, 01:31 PM
espresso19
Driver School Candidate

Well I answered my own question. I done the clean and still the passenger side mirror does not go up or down. Only in or out, any hints of next step? I really do not need that feature as I consider myself a good parker and never rub my wheels against the curb. So not going out and spend $250 or whatever it is to replace it. But if there is a fix for it, Ill give it a try.
Old 05-06-16, 10:16 AM
VerbalKent
Rookie

My apologies for the delayed response...I realize you may have figured this out by now, yet in the event that you haven't, I noticed (after quite a bit of frustration) that the up/down feature only works when I leave the mirror adjustment switch in either the left or right position; leaving it in the middle on paper seems to make sense, but doesn't work lol...hope this helps...

Quick Reply: Mirrors no longer adjust