LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Mirrors no longer adjust

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-18, 11:34 AM
candyman55
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After flushing my brake system, I mentioned the side mirrors were not working. I was quoted $250 for the switch so, I passed. Followed your instructions in the thread and after a $6.00 can of electronic contact cleaner it's working again! Thank you
The following users liked this post:
wnyjazz (08-01-18)
Old 09-20-18, 05:32 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Fantastic write up and I'll be doing this job in a few days..
Old 09-21-18, 07:02 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Well, I pulled the switch out, disassembled it, cleaned the contacts and reinstalled it.... No change. So, it may very well be the mirror after all. Right side works fine, but the left side will only adjust in and out, not up and down.

Bummer
Old 09-21-18, 08:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Well, I pulled the switch out, disassembled it, cleaned the contacts and reinstalled it.... No change. So, it may very well be the mirror after all. Right side works fine, but the left side will only adjust in and out, not up and down.

Bummer
Thanks for the follow-up......not sure if I will do it, as long as the memory settings are working. Not really sure why only the driver's side for me would tilt down and not pass. side....but switch definitely doesn't always work....
Old 02-10-19, 03:42 PM
Aus430
Pole Position

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Just did mine as left side mirror decided to stop adjusting after some hot weather - worked like a charm Thanks

Why on earth did they put that grease in there in the first place?
Old 04-12-19, 08:34 AM
Hklexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the panel off and the two screws off, but couldn't get the black cover to come off. Any tips on getting that cover off? Thanks?
Old 04-23-19, 11:52 AM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
I tried this fix for my mirrors and it did not work for me. My drivers mirror moves side to side but not up and down. The passenger mirror moves up and done but not side to side.
same issue here, does anyone know what this could be? i took the control switch apart and everything looks good inside, no corrosion at all
Old 09-28-19, 07:01 AM
missouriup
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm trying to figure out if I'm to remove change tray to get mirror switch out to check contacts and I'm not having any success getting tray out. I'm wishing there was a video showing the process. Thanks for any help you may have.
Old 09-28-19, 07:54 AM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by missouriup
So I'm trying to figure out if I'm to remove change tray to get mirror switch out to check contacts and I'm not having any success getting tray out. I'm wishing there was a video showing the process. Thanks for any help you may have.
No need to remove the tray, see here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post8883302
Old 09-29-19, 01:50 PM
Concutter
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus side mirrors not working

I read a whole page of suggestions. Thanks a lot! I will give them a all a try.
Old 10-01-19, 10:25 AM
missouriup
6th Gear

Sewell no longer does online parts ordering but the guy I talk with from there gave me some suggestions to try, like https://www.mylparts.com/ and Lexus of South Atlanta for online parts ordering.
Old 10-03-19, 06:52 PM
bud13
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Even if everything looks OK, it could still be the contacts need cleaning. In addition to my 04 LS430, I have a 91 Miata, (60k) and it has the window controls on the center console. They work the same way the switch for the mirrors on the Lexus work. Sometimes the windows would go up real slow or down real slow. I took the window switches apart and the contacts looked just fine. I cleaned them and put some new electronic lube on them and the windows are now working as they should. Too much lubricant attracts dirt and will cause a lot of these types of problems. Too little and the switch will soon wear the contacts off and will require the replacement of the switch. When I first got the 04 LS430, one of the outside mirrors would sometimes move from the parking position, at startup, to 180 open. I tried everything I could find to see how to fix it. I ended up buying a used one on eBay for $100 and it worked just fine. It only took 30 mins or so to remove the old one and install the good one. Not as difficult as I thought it would be. The replacement mirror had a better glass then my old one so I swapped that as well. When I get some spare time, I am going to take the old one apart and see why it was not working right.
Old 10-07-19, 06:42 AM
ChinneeTee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bud13
Even if everything looks OK, it could still be the contacts need cleaning. In addition to my 04 LS430, I have a 91 Miata, (60k) and it has the window controls on the center console. They work the same way the switch for the mirrors on the Lexus work. Sometimes the windows would go up real slow or down real slow. I took the window switches apart and the contacts looked just fine. I cleaned them and put some new electronic lube on them and the windows are now working as they should. Too much lubricant attracts dirt and will cause a lot of these types of problems. Too little and the switch will soon wear the contacts off and will require the replacement of the switch. When I first got the 04 LS430, one of the outside mirrors would sometimes move from the parking position, at startup, to 180 open. I tried everything I could find to see how to fix it. I ended up buying a used one on eBay for $100 and it worked just fine. It only took 30 mins or so to remove the old one and install the good one. Not as difficult as I thought it would be. The replacement mirror had a better glass then my old one so I swapped that as well. When I get some spare time, I am going to take the old one apart and see why it was not working right.
Cleaning my contacts fixed it for me, too
The following users liked this post:
bud13 (10-07-19)
Old 01-17-20, 02:03 PM
SGS3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yaff
Mission successfully completed!
And no casualties... This thing now works like a charm.

Guys, make this one a sticky. It saves us from an hour of labor to clean the switch to 2 mirrors + a switch ~2000$ all depending on dealer integrity.

Took couple shots while the switch was opened.

The board (notice the grease in center... I didnt have any conductive grease to replace... So I left some)

The switch (Rubbed the contacts with fine glass sandpaper then clean with q-tips)

And clean the contacts on the "gasket" with q-tips.

I'm happy

Oh... this forum shows pictures in attachments as well. Oh well.
Originally Posted by StanVanDam
My switch was intermittent over the past year, causing the driver-side mirror adjustment to be finicky, and the auto-tilt-down would be equally finicky when the switch was set to driver-side. Passenger side never had a problem and auto-tilt-down worked fine in that position.

I had read this thread a long time ago but didn't feel like fixing it until today. Used Q-Tips soaked with MAF sensor cleaner, and scrubbed the 4 metal contact buttons on the "gasket" and the corresponding 4 on the circuit board. I used my finger to redistribute the old dielectric grease on the center contacts and did not apply any new grease. Tightened the 2 screws down evenly on both sides and as tight as I felt possible without breaking the plastic.

Works fine, ziptie fix not needed so far. Thanks to Ducati11, Yaff, and new2lexus2 for the informative posts.
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
Probably the single quickest and best money-saver tip on this particular forum. Just did this a few minutes ago. Unfortunately, I rubbed off all the grease in the process, but in either case, it now works. I didn't have electrical parts cleaner handy so I just used acetone on a q-tip.

Curiously, I was a little worried when I cracked the switch open because there wasn't really a hint of corrosion, oxidation or black residue anywhere on the contacts. I cleaned the pad side and the circuit board side anyway, as well as the switch area and I guess that was enough.
Originally Posted by musicman1
I just cleaned mine and it fixed a long-time intermittant issue with mirror adjustment. That grease should be cleaned off and replaced with new dialectric grease available at any Radio Shack or auto parts store.. The best part of this is keeping the stealership from taking my money for almost nothing. They must hate these forums.... except when they use forums themselves.
Originally Posted by loughery
An update to my post above.... I took everything apart per this thread, but then all of a sudden I had a pile of pieces and freaked out...see photo. Very easy to put back together, but be careful and use tweezers or small needle nose. The white plastic "thingies" go in only one way. Also, I did not have any grease to use, and few people mention it...is it vital? Finally, the right side mirror does not move vertically, so I have to take it apart :-/
Originally Posted by ChinneeTee
Another $300 I saved fm this forum. switch took under 1 hr, pretty unbreakable, we pry-ed it w/ nylon pry tools fm Harbor Freight-popped right out. I was expecting corrosion encrusted connectors, not the case, it was like microbiol, moisture dirty inside the switch plate, very slight. More than a few moving parts & contacts. Cleaned all w/ CRC, added electrical grease to contacts w/ Q-tip & white lithium grease to side tabs that depress when switch is popped out. Piece of cake & mirrors are moving like bats out of hell-thanks to all for the guidance
Originally Posted by Syte00
Thanks to this thread, I had no fear of pulling out that switch and fixing it. I used dielectric grease and lightly wiped off the contacts. Works great now!
Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
My drivers side started acting up. Only wanting to go down and side to side but not up. Pulled it out, used a little of my MAF sensor cleaner to clean the contacts as mentioned and all is well. None of the contacts looked dirty. Maybe a little on those two center bars that come in contact with the grease. I cleaned the bars and left the OEM grease. Nice little and easy fix. Took less then 10 min.
Originally Posted by ChinneeTee
Same w/ 1 mirror on my 2004, I just popped the switch w/ a small nylon auto trim pry bar from Harbor Freight, cleaned & put a little electric grease on the connections & it works like a charm. I think the switch just needs to be pushed back together firmly, the components loosen up
Originally Posted by Jeckyl
Running across this article was very timely. Was at dealer picking up vehicle that I was purchasing that had this exact problem. Evidently the prior owner had the same issue and opted for the switch replacement. Was $1000.00. This was in July of last year. Followed the tips on this thread, cleaning the contacts and replacing a little dielectric grease seems to have corrected the initial problem.

By the way, the dielectric grease was the only expense on this one (I already had the alcohol and the qtips ) and cost a whole $3.47.

Words of warning: I will say the two screws and 4 little white clips are exceptionally small. People with larger hands will have difficulty getting them back in place when removed. I highly suggest a very small phillips screwdriver and a pair of tweezers for those of you with larger phalanges.
Originally Posted by tradosauru
Be careful when pulling the mirror contacts apart. After I took out the two small screws and started prying it apart both halves flew apart. Luckily I found the two small screws and the plastic pieces.
The circuit board shown in the bottom picture had what I believe is some type of electrical grease.
Originally Posted by coug66
I opened mine up and it was greased and clean.

I applied some dialectic grease to the plugs and the drivers mirror works just fine.

Thank you for posting this fix.

Ian
Originally Posted by bud13
To all of you who put dielectric grease to either the plug or the board, what is the role of dielectric grease? I googled and it's kind of confusing, some say dielectric grease conducts electricity, some say it doesn't. If it does then putting on the board would connect all the separated circuits together, so I guess that's not the case. If it doesn't then what is the reason to use dielectric grease? Like the guy Aus430 below mentioned, I guess he's confused with the grease too.

Originally Posted by Aus430
Just did mine as left side mirror decided to stop adjusting after some hot weather - worked like a charm Thanks

Why on earth did they put that grease in there in the first place?
Originally Posted by hippchip
when it starts clicking put a little pressure to the mirror in the direction you want it to move. It should move past the stops. Maybe 4-6 clicks should be enough to get the travel you need.
Do you put pressure on the mirror while you are still pressing the buttons? And after that I suppose (if it works) I don't have to manually press the mirror again?
Old 02-18-20, 10:03 PM
205Ls430
Driver School Candidate

Default Problem solved

Originally Posted by Ducati11
I have an 02 Ultra lux that had the same exact problem. All you have to do is pop off the mirror control panel and clean the contacts (and be sure all of the pins are pushed into the connector). The panel is held on with clips, just grab one of the lips and pull towards you. Then depress the tab that holds the connector in place and pull off the connector (the one behind the adjustment switch). Reassemble and you're ready to go (make sure the key is on or it won't adjust.....). Hope the pictures uploaded.....
Originally Posted by Yaff
Mission successfully completed!
And no casualties... This thing now works like a charm.

Guys, make this one a sticky. It saves us from an hour of labor to clean the switch to 2 mirrors + a switch ~2000$ all depending on dealer integrity.

Took couple shots while the switch was opened.

The board (notice the grease in center... I didnt have any conductive grease to replace... So I left some)

The switch (Rubbed the contacts with fine glass sandpaper then clean with q-tips)

And clean the contacts on the "gasket" with q-tips.

I'm happy

Oh... this forum shows pictures in attachments as well. Oh well.
Thank you for posting these pics which gave me the confidence to take this apart. Took mine apart and found that two of those four plastic pins were in there just doing their own thing. Once I put them back in the slots, put everything back together and mounted it back in the the car my mirrors are working again!! Thank you fellow lexus owners for this valuable info.

Quick Reply: Mirrors no longer adjust