Mirrors no longer adjust

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-12, 11:02 AM
TNSC
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Mirror clicking"

Originally Posted by pff1234
message numbers;12-15. My outside mirror will not retract or open all the way. It goes so far and stops and just "click,click,click" Passenger side mirror works fine. I have removed the control panel but that does not change things. Any thoughts?
I have the same clicking on my driver mirror.Looks like a stripped gear?

Anyone ever gone into the mirror to investigate?

BTW mine is a 2004 LS430 with 72K

Thanks!
Old 10-20-12, 08:00 PM
gbracer04
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a 2004 LS430 with the passenger side mirror problem. The motor just winds and clicks but doesnt move every time i start the car. I tried unplugging the mirror fold button but for some reason the mirror motor still runs when i start the car. Does anyone know how to completely disable the auto fold so I dont cause anymore damage to the mirror motor.

Thanks!

Last edited by gbracer04; 10-20-12 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-23-13, 01:57 PM
pepcorso
Driver School Candidate

Default Side view mirrors

Ducati11's solution worked for me. Disconnected the contacts and dabbed isopropyl alcohol on the electrical contacts. Then blew compressed air from computer air can to remove any dust and insure dryness. Reconnected and both mirrors immediately regained full movement as designed. Thanks for the hint and great pictures explaining process.
Old 04-09-13, 07:23 AM
CJF1
Driver School Candidate

Hey Lexus friends!!Just wanted to say thx this site saved me $1200.I fixed my mirrors by following ur advice and they work!!!!!!! Thx so much We just purchased a 2003 LS430 black and black and im in love!!!!!
Old 04-09-13, 06:20 PM
Nbrskn
Driver School Candidate

Many thanks for your switch information and pictures. Even after 3+ years it helped me with the fix for the annoying mirror adjustment problem on my '03 LS430. I reassembled without the grease but that shouldn't be a problem. It's easy when someone shows you how.
Old 04-11-13, 08:28 AM
Stretchp2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having same issue I'll give it a shot tonight and try to post some pics
Old 04-14-13, 01:18 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

so whats the final verdict for the fix to make your mirrors tilt down while youre in reverse? seems like theres all types of mirror problems going on in here.
Old 04-15-13, 07:44 AM
CJF1
Driver School Candidate

Fixed and they work great.Also sprayed a little wd into the back of the mirrors and it lubed them up real nice.No more problems!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-13, 04:23 AM
loughery
Driver School Candidate

I have an extended warranty on my 04 LS430 and at the dealer now, will post their info about my mirrors don't move here when they break the news to me. They used to tilt down in reverse then stopped, but it may have been me tinkering with all the new switches when I first got the car last year.
Old 04-23-13, 01:39 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by gbracer04
I also have a 2004 LS430 with the passenger side mirror problem. The motor just winds and clicks but doesnt move every time i start the car. I tried unplugging the mirror fold button but for some reason the mirror motor still runs when i start the car. Does anyone know how to completely disable the auto fold so I dont cause anymore damage to the mirror motor.

Thanks!
You can open the mirror housing and disconnect the wires going to the motor (one that flips the mirror). Vehicle will still try to send the current to the motor but because it is disconnected it won't turn. You don't need to cut any wires, only disconnect. Search this forum and you should be able to find relevant threads.
Old 05-26-13, 06:13 AM
Yaff
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder why the mirror adjustment quick fix never gone STICKY. Easy DIY and owner cost saving.
Old 05-26-13, 06:48 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by Yaff
I wonder why the mirror adjustment quick fix never gone STICKY. Easy DIY and owner cost saving.
??? It is already included in the FAQ DIY sticky at the top of the forum

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...iy-thread.html
Old 02-19-14, 02:57 PM
hoospiders
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks. saved me over $1,500 for mirror replacement

dealer diagnosed the problem as (2) bad mirrors (driver and passenger). fortunately, I balked at the diagnosis (something about both mirrors failing at the same time didn't seem right, and the estimate didn't help). I hit up Club Lexus for some help, and ended up taking apart the drivers side mirror, which wasn't too complicated, thanks to the following thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...de-mirror.html

I was able to get to the motors that drive the mirror adjustment, applied 12vdc to them and verified that they were in good working order, further discounting my dealership's diagnosis of bad mirrors, so I figured I would shift gears and take a look at the dashboard adjustment switch. isopropyl alcohol on a cotton swab on all of the contacts that are inside/behind the up/down/left/right arrows on the square switch (the whole thing comes apart with some very gentle prying up along the edges) and we are good as new! Thanks for the post.
Old 02-19-14, 04:54 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

This shows the real value of this forum. People have found a method to fix problems that the dealership can't actually afford to do. What if they train the technicans to go through the fix that the forum has found the in some cases it doesn't actually fix the parts? Difficult to charge for an labor and then charge the customer. So, they take the easy way out by just recommending changing the mirror assembly.

Kudos to the forum and forgive the dealership for not being able to compete!
Old 04-08-14, 09:52 AM
sshu
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem and followed the steps to correct it. First when I cleaned it and put it back to together the mirrors worked intermittently. I then sanded the contacts and that did the trick. I have little mechanical skill but found this job pretty easy to do.

Quick Reply: Mirrors no longer adjust