Maintenance Required Soon

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-09, 04:33 PM
JayNetAdmi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance Required Soon

Hey Gang,

I have 06' Lexus LS 430 that has "Maintenance Required Soon" light on from an intermitting warning.

I checked the manual and it says the oil needs to be replaced from soon to ASAP depending on the display indication.
My questions are what’s the best recommended kind of oil to use for the spring weather?
What type of oil filter I will need along with purchasing the oil?
How many oil quarts bottle will I have to buy?
Is there anything else I’ll need besides the oil and oil filter?
How do I reset the computer so it recognizes the new oil?
Old 03-20-09, 10:22 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a "dummy" light... doesn't really monitor anything except mileage. I believe it starts to come on during startup around 5K, then goes off. It then stays on after 5K miles or so until you reset. To reset just:

1. Turn ignition switch to first position, but don't start car.
2. Press "Trip" button until the odometer displays (not trip A or B)
3. Turn ignition switch back to off
4. Press "Reset" button and hold
5. Turn ignition switch to first position again, don't start engine, while holding down "Reset" button till "Maintenance Required" disappears

As for which oil and filter, I've always used Mobil 1 synthetic 5W30 with Toyota OEM filter. You can choose whichever oil you want, but the grade recommended for the LS430 is 5W30 and for most weathers, it's good enough, especially NJ.

With filter change, it's 5 quarts brings you to the middle of the range between low and full, while up to the top of the line is about 5.6 quarts. You may need a filter wrench if it was previously done by a mechanic as they probably gorilla gripped it on there. Even with a wrench, you might be able to wrestle it off as the filter is in a very good position on the LS where you can get a lot of grip.
Old 03-20-09, 10:25 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

^^^Exactly^^^^
Old 03-21-09, 05:24 AM
JayNetAdmi
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Alex!
Old 05-13-09, 08:45 AM
LRoy430ul
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My "maintenance required soon" light came on at about 73,200 miles and my next service isn't until 75K......is it suppose to remind me this early? or is it something else?
Old 05-13-09, 08:55 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depends on who reset it last and at what exact mileage, i figure ^ ^ ^.
Old 05-13-09, 09:15 AM
LRoy430ul
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
depends on who reset it last and at what exact mileage, i figure ^ ^ ^.
Ok so I guess that clears up what AlexusAnja said above. So the light comes on every 5k or so depending on when it was reset? I thought it would come on at every 5K interval... like 60,65,70
Old 05-13-09, 09:41 AM
AlexusAnja

Default Smarts

Originally Posted by LRoy430ul
Ok so I guess that clears up what AlexusAnja said above. So the light comes on every 5k or so depending on when it was reset? I thought it would come on at every 5K interval... like 60,65,70
No, just a dummy light that comes on after about 5K miles and stays on to bother you until you reset it and then another 5K to trigger again. Just Lexus' way to keep you honest and go back to the dealer every so often for no real reason and see if anything needs replacing and have the light reset.

It's not just Lexus, most manufacturer's have this "indicator" now and it's just PITB thing than anything. Usually an easy reset.
Old 05-15-09, 10:01 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by LRoy430ul
My "maintenance required soon" light came on at about 73,200 miles and my next service isn't until 75K......is it suppose to remind me this early? or is it something else?
You get the MAINT. REQUIRED SOON light before it changes to the MAINT. REQUIRED indication.

As AlexusAnja said, it's just bascially a milage counter, and you reset it manually. Looks scary tho, with the red triangle flashing, doesn't it? lol
Old 05-16-09, 04:48 AM
AlexusAnja

Default Triangle never good

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
You get the MAINT. REQUIRED SOON light before it changes to the MAINT. REQUIRED indication.

As AlexusAnja said, it's just bascially a milage counter, and you reset it manually. Looks scary tho, with the red triangle flashing, doesn't it? lol
A TRIANGLE with a big exclamation in the middle is never a good sign...

I wonder if the LS460 has real monitoring of the engine oil quality, or any other fluids, to trigger the maintenance light. Having a dead running dummy light on mileage to me is just a waste of time. Every 5000 miles, who cares. Nothing much besides oil runs on a 5000 mile cycle, so if you wanted to drain and fill your transmission, you would have to know that it's every x-cycles, check brakes bads are every y-cycle, etc.

It's almost better not to have it, because those that will maintain it will, those that won't will just reset the light anyway...
Old 05-16-09, 08:51 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Every 5000 miles, who cares. Nothing much besides oil runs on a 5000 mile cycle, so if you wanted to drain and fill your transmission, you would have to know that it's every x-cycles, check brakes bads are every y-cycle, etc.
Did you know if you go into the NAV system, there is a section called MAINTENANCE/SERVICE..and it has this huge menu of INDIVIDUAL service items? You can select anything from Tire Rotation to Radiator Flush to Tranny Fluid, Air Filter, etc??

You can either enter a DATE or MILEAGE and it will give you the specific reminder for you when the date timer or mileage counter expires?

I don't know what sort of warning it gives or WHERE it gives it (maybe ON the nav system?) I haven't gone 5k miles yet since taking ownership...
Old 05-17-09, 08:00 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i saw this ^ ^ but didn't mess with it. if anyone has, is it cool and useful or just another annoying thing to mess with??
Old 05-17-09, 12:04 PM
AlexusAnja

Default True maintenace

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Did you know if you go into the NAV system, there is a section called MAINTENANCE/SERVICE..and it has this huge menu of INDIVIDUAL service items? You can select anything from Tire Rotation to Radiator Flush to Tranny Fluid, Air Filter, etc??

You can either enter a DATE or MILEAGE and it will give you the specific reminder for you when the date timer or mileage counter expires?

I don't know what sort of warning it gives or WHERE it gives it (maybe ON the nav system?) I haven't gone 5k miles yet since taking ownership...
Yes,those are the "true" maintenance keepers. I do use it, including all three "personal items" which I use to keep track of fueld injector, waxing, and one other thing I can't remember now. Those items pop up on the NAV screen each time you start up when they "expire" and they pop up again and again and again until you reset them.

Easy to set, but must remember to reset when you perform the maintenance.