LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Car Cranking Problems

Old 09-18-08, 11:40 PM
JemmyTran
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Cranking Problems

So I just got my electricity restored Since Hurricane Ike hit. I drove my car through about 12 inches of water and car was fine. Two days later I tried to crank my car on and does not start. So i got the other car so that i can jump start the LS430 and before i jump start the car I tried cranking it again and it worked. Then later that day I tried cranking it again and same thing happened after 4 tries the car cranks. The next morning it cranked after 3 tries. What do you think it could be the battery or the alternator?
Old 09-19-08, 04:17 AM
Haylands
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JemmyTran
So I just got my electricity restored Since Hurricane Ike hit. I drove my car through about 12 inches of water and car was fine. Two days later I tried to crank my car on and does not start. So i got the other car so that i can jump start the LS430 and before i jump start the car I tried cranking it again and it worked. Then later that day I tried cranking it again and same thing happened after 4 tries the car cranks. The next morning it cranked after 3 tries. What do you think it could be the battery or the alternator?
Hi

Glad your back on line I hope you didn't get too much damage from Ike...

First the 430 is not designed to go anywhere near 12" of water so it will have got water in all sorts of places it shouldn't have.

If I were you I would inform your insurance company of the car issues as leaving it till later may effect a claim (if you are covered for damage like this)

But you will probably find that after a few runs it will dry out on its own and be OK, I'd take it for a good long run 50-75 miles to get it good and hot, then leave it ticking over for a good while to raise the underbonnet temp to dry everything out. If that doesn't work its an auto electrician to check the alternator/started circuit.

Good Luck

Pete
Old 09-19-08, 04:35 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Shorting

Originally Posted by Haylands
Hi

Glad your back on line I hope you didn't get too much damage from Ike...

First the 430 is not designed to go anywhere near 12" of water so it will have got water in all sorts of places it shouldn't have.

If I were you I would inform your insurance company of the car issues as leaving it till later may effect a claim (if you are covered for damage like this)

But you will probably find that after a few runs it will dry out on its own and be OK, I'd take it for a good long run 50-75 miles to get it good and hot, then leave it ticking over for a good while to raise the underbonnet temp to dry everything out. If that doesn't work its an auto electrician to check the alternator/started circuit.

Good Luck

Pete
I agree that something is just wet and shorting out. If it doesn't work, it should just not work, not work and sometimes not work. If you did not have this issue before then that's how it is. Like Pete said, let it run a while and warm up and dry out.
Old 09-19-08, 10:44 PM
JemmyTran
Pole Position

thanks for the info guys i will try that