LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Bezel Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-05, 05:18 PM
LS430Owner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bezel Removal

The lower portion of the bezel right under the navigation screen is scratched. I ordered a new one. How do you remove the bezel that surrounds the navigation screen on a 2001 LS 430?
Old 02-16-05, 10:14 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

Start by wraping a sloted screw driver with tape on the tip. This will help you remove the trim without scratching it. Still be careful! To remove the navigation screen you must start from the bottom center console (the one with the shifter). That's right... it's a bigger job than you think!

1. First remove the chrome strip around the shifter by prying it up. Now in each corner of the center console pry the large wood trim. Work your way around and don't over force it or use the console to pry a end up (the clips under it will break!). Once out disconect the lighter plug and set aside the console.

2. Now working your way up the dash remove the 1st panel with the seat heater controls. Pulling out unplug the connectors. You might need to move your shifter down into N or D to allow you to pull it out.

3. Locate 3 screws under the next console trim and remove them. The next section will come out along with the door to the CD changer. Remove the wire connectors.

4.Check left and right for 2 screws holding the radio/cd changer in place (as I recall). Remove the CD Changer/radio by pulling towards you. Again disconect the radio plugs in the back.

5. Now remove your 2 temp controls one on each side of the navigation screen by prying them out. Don't forget to use that taped screw driver! This will reveal 2 screws on each side that hold the navigation screen mounted to the dash. Undo the screws and don't let them fall down behind the dash. (A magnetic screw driver might help).

6. Now you can pull your navigation display unit out and locate the 4 screws holding the back metal case on. (NOT the screws holding the brackets, but holding the case together). You might not need to remove these if you can take trim off you need to replace by prying up the clips on top and bottom of the plastic cover.

Reverse the process to put it back together and if you don't feel comfortable doing this - one word comes to mind DON'T! Best of luck/
Old 02-17-05, 08:50 AM
LS430Owner
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for Info

Thanks for the info on removing the bezel around the nav screen. Wow, it sounds like a lot of work. The dealer wants about a hour of time to remove the old bezel and install the new one. Guess that's not such a bad deal. I've read some posts about using a hook tool to pull on the bezel. Do you have any experience with that tool?
Old 02-17-05, 09:29 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

Couldn't imagine a hook to remove any part of the navigation screen. Unless they are taking about removing the screws behind the temp controls and trying to get the navigation screen on it's own out with a hook The service guide shows the removal of the navigation screen the way I described it. A hours labor sounds like a good deal to me and if they scratch or break a clip they will have to replace it, not you.
Old 02-17-05, 10:05 AM
LS430Owner
Driver School Candidate

Default Bezel Removal

Thanks for the prompt responses. Guess I'll let the dealer remove and replace the bezel. I was surprised that the bezel costs $377. I was trying to figure out a way to cover up the scratches, but didn't come up with a suitable solution. It looks like the prior owner must have rested something on the little lip under the nav screen or had a ring or something that rested on it everytime they were pushing the nav screen buttons. The scratches aren't bad, but it's something that you see everytime you drive the car.

Where did you get the mud flaps and the 8 way front seat massagers for your LS 430? Is the integrated hands free phone that you have the one that came with the car or did you add it?
Old 02-17-05, 12:20 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

The mud flaps came from Japan thru http://store.yahoo.com/lexusparts/lssidmudguar.html worth every $ of it! See them here on another members LS430 ride https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/54061-ls430-factory-mud-guards.html. Purchase from Canada Lexus dealer it would be over $400.

The front seat massager information is here with a pic showing my motor placement. I worked with a local upholster to install them: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/79436-front-seat-message-system.html.

I installed my own hands free Audiovox phone kit in the center console box (next to the gear shift). This ashtray box was upgraded to the slightly larger storage compartment (no ashtray) with lighter plug at the top. The door closes and phone stays active inside or flip the phone open (Audiovox 8900) and it can be used/dialed while staying in the base. Very nice, but required a bit of engineering to get it sitting just right. I'll post a picture of it later today if you would like to see. Works great and ended up mounting the microphone up in the drivers side overhead console. The Microphone for Lexus Link is on passanger side, the microphone holes on the drivers side had nothing there, so I used it.

Last edited by LS007; 02-18-05 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-19-05, 02:02 AM
LS430Owner
Driver School Candidate

Default Phone Installation

If you get a chance, I'd love to see some photos of the installation.
Old 09-30-11, 09:02 AM
Zahir
Driver School Candidate

Default Navigation Bazel Replace

04LS430....made lots of rattle noise....dealer mention to replace the front navigation panel...
fully replace with the new one cost $700.00...
No rattle for couple of days...and bammm rattle came back....not sure what to do now...