LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Our LS430 did not start!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-04, 06:25 PM
stephenkyu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Our LS430 did not start!

I am not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but our 2004 Lexus LS430 would not start today. I had driven the vehicle for about an hour on the highway and was picking up my child up from school. I parked the car and shut off the car completely and waited for about 5 minutes. After I pickup my child, I went and started the car and it won't complete starting.

The engine cranked and did start up somewhat, but then just died out on me. I called Lexus Roadside and they sent AAA over. Ironically, it was the same guy that towed my LS430 the last time that I had a problem. Anyway, he tried to start the car but it still won't start. Then he tried to upstart it and it started up like a dream (as it should).

He told me that I should probably take it into service, so I drove down to my dealership. Well, the dealer said that they could find nothing really wrong with the car, but they would have to keep it for a while.

Now generally, I understand that cars have some minor problems, but this is the second time that I have been unable to start this car. The first time, I have to admit, might have been my own fault since I didn't drive the car for quite some while. The car didn't start, but it cranked without any problems. (Of course, the salesperson never said that I had to drive the car at least twice a month) Well, they charged the battery the first time and said they couldn't find any problems. Somewhat ironically, the AAA representative told me that their mobile battery tester said my battery was fine.

Like the first time, today the vehicle cranked and it definitely sounded like it wanted to start. But the engine wouldn't stay on enough for me to drive. It would crank, start up, then die off in a period of less than 5 seconds. But, this time, it didn't die out in my garage. It didn't start after I had driven it a hour on the highway and then parked the car at school.

Now, the dealer says that the battery is still fine and that they can't warranty it. Except, the problem is that the car started when AAA connected on their jumpstarter. Any idea what the problem is? This is a 2004 LS430 that has fewer than 2,000 miles on it. I have been somewhat disappointed with this vehicle, as I have never had any problems like this on any of my other cars. Especially ones this expensive and new.
Old 11-01-04, 06:32 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

try another battery... even though they say its not it...
Old 11-01-04, 07:13 PM
stephenkyu
Driver School Candidate

They tell me that based off of their test results, my battery meets all of the specifications.

If I want to have them replace the battery, it would not be covered under the vehicle warranty.
Old 11-01-04, 07:56 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by stephenkyu
They tell me that based off of their test results, my battery meets all of the specifications.

If I want to have them replace the battery, it would not be covered under the vehicle warranty.
ouch, they left you stuck in the middle like that.

Sorry I never heard of such issue. Good luck.
Old 11-01-04, 11:46 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

Had a bad cell in my battery shortly after purchase (a reported problem back in 2002). The symptom was it didn't hold a full charge long and was weak when cranking. Lexus replaced it under warranty.

Good luck,
Old 11-02-04, 04:38 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's their job to tell you why it didn't start, not yours to try and figure out. Tell them you don't want the car back until they figure out the problem because you don't want to get stuck somewhere and that you want a loaner while they try to get the problem solved. I know if this was my dealership (Nalley Lexus in Atlanta), they would have replaced the battery voluntarily and would be doing anything they could to make sure I was comfortable.

In addition, I would call Lexus Customer Service and report the problem.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-04, 03:44 PM
gteach26
Rookie

This may sound silly, BUT... do you have any other luxury car keys on your key ring? I once was having a hard time starting my Lincoln Navigator and could not figure out why. I then noticed that my wife's BMW key was on the same key ring. It turned out that the two keys' security chips were interfering with each other. I removed the BMW key from the key ring and VOILA! No problems after that.

If you do have another "chip key" on the key ring give it a try...

Good luck!!!

Last edited by gteach26; 11-02-04 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-02-04, 04:13 PM
Luna
Driver School Candidate

I was thinking interference with the chip too.
Old 11-03-04, 06:50 AM
stephenkyu
Driver School Candidate

The car has SmartAccess, so I never really have to plug th key in. Even if that was the case, I already tried to start the car with the key inside the ignition and no other keys on the key chain.

I already know about the key thing too... since the sales people always tell me to keep the keys separate, which is what I already do.

Last edited by stephenkyu; 11-03-04 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-03-04, 06:08 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Default Stepnkyu

If you seldom drive the car make sure the headlight switch is not in the "AUTO" position. This will drain the battery unless the car is driven more frequently. If you only drive the occassionaly and for short trips then you won't be able to fully recharge the battery. Don't ask me why or how this works. I do NOT know. But, this is the advice my SM gave me and it solved my problem as I only drive my LS about once/week.
Hope this helps.
Ron
Old 11-03-04, 10:37 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

If the battery is checking out, possibly it is something with the Smart Access key...I'd try the other and see if you have any further issues.
Old 11-04-04, 06:17 PM
stephenkyu
Driver School Candidate

Well, I was able to convince them to replace the battery as goodwill. After all, they didn't find anything wrong with the car.

I am going to try to drive the car more often, as we were averaging about 200 mileseach month, driven about once a month.

About the lighting thing, my lights are set on auto. But I have only driven the car at night about twice. I don't feel safe driving at night, so I avoid doing so. And the only driving have been driving are those 150 mile runs across stretches of highway.

What would you consider short driving? How many minutes? One service advisor has advised that I connect a battery charger to the car...

The thing that puzzles me most is that the most recent time it didn't start, I had already driven it about an hour on the highway... and it had started right up when I first started it that day.
Old 11-04-04, 07:42 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by stephenkyu
Well, I was able to convince them to replace the battery as goodwill. After all, they didn't find anything wrong with the car.

I am going to try to drive the car more often, as we were averaging about 200 mileseach month, driven about once a month.

About the lighting thing, my lights are set on auto. But I have only driven the car at night about twice. I don't feel safe driving at night, so I avoid doing so. And the only driving have been driving are those 150 mile runs across stretches of highway.

What would you consider short driving? How many minutes? One service advisor has advised that I connect a battery charger to the car...

The thing that puzzles me most is that the most recent time it didn't start, I had already driven it about an hour on the highway... and it had started right up when I first started it that day.
Change it to the OFF position instead of AUTO. I heard something about that too.

My car wished she was drivin about 200 miles a month. I drive about 6000 in 2.5 Months.
Old 11-22-04, 02:29 PM
MikeC4w
Driver School Candidate

Check the fuel pump recall.... Mine would start back up then die..