LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 is slow to start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-11, 10:27 PM
wcraig18
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS430 is slow to start?

Love the car, LS430, CY2001, mileage 77,777. However it does not start immediately. How long does it take to start an LS430? Does anyone know what the mechanics manual provides for a standard. Thanks, Bill
Old 08-10-11, 02:18 AM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like does it just crank and then finally turn on? or when u turn the key it does nothing for a while? You might have a weak battery?
Old 08-10-11, 07:59 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If im not mistaken, it cycles through a rotation of the cylinders first to get the oil flowing before the initial ignition to prevent excessive engine wear. my LS430 takes a full second to a second and a half before ignition. my LS400 took almost 2 seconds before ignition.

you have to give us more detail though to further help you on your issue though.
Old 08-10-11, 11:02 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

they all take a couple seconds to fire off,, been discussed here several times in the past,,

wife's turbo bug just takes a touch of the key and it is gone, never the 430,,

Derry
Old 08-10-11, 12:21 PM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hahah, and I thought I had a problem...
Old 08-10-11, 04:37 PM
monkeybutt
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marklouis
If im not mistaken, it cycles through a rotation of the cylinders first to get the oil flowing before the initial ignition to prevent excessive engine wear. my LS430 takes a full second to a second and a half before ignition. my LS400 took almost 2 seconds before ignition.

you have to give us more detail though to further help you on your issue though.
Oh so this is a good thing. Nice to know. This sort of bugged me, but not so much that I ever remembered to look into it. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
DBinMD (02-10-24)
Old 08-12-11, 05:46 PM
JasonRN87
Driver School Candidate

Wow this makes me feel much better!!! I had noticed the same thing on my '05. The information that can be found on this website is priceless
The following users liked this post:
DBinMD (02-10-24)
Old 08-13-11, 07:32 PM
MDEC
Rookie

Some cars have computer controlled crank that gives the impression of a very quick start. I believe this was introduced on some cars about 10 years ago, with almost universal application now in 2011 model year.

When you hit the key (or start button) on a computer controlled crank car, the actual cranking control is taken away from the driver, no matter what they do with the key. If you momentarily hit the key and release, the car will still crank until idle speed has been achieved, then the starter is automatically disengaged. This gives the impression of instantaneous starts as you quickly hit the key and release to start.

That said, even without computer controlled crank, I think our LS430's have really crappy start-fuel and fast idle speed calibrations. Mine cranks way too long before it starts, and doesn't have a crisp reassuring fire-up. Then, the fast idle when cold seems way too high, for way too long. (Sometimes this high idle speed is used to help light off the catalysts and keep emissions down, but in this day and age, there are other ways to accomplish this without a roaring engine.)

GM was a leader in nice engine starts, being one of the first to use computer controlled cranking and a quick return to base idle speed.

Very insignificant items that make no real difference in starting reliability, but certainly people notice it.

I’d take my LS430, despite the imperfect starts, over almost any other car.
Old 08-15-11, 09:51 AM
wcraig18
Driver School Candidate

Marklouis and others, to all, thank you for the most kind answers. I am not going to worry about it. Love the car. Cheers, Bill
Old 08-18-11, 07:44 PM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine fires much quicker after cleaning the TB... you may consider that if you have not had yours cleaned in some time
Old 08-19-11, 07:18 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper6
Mine fires much quicker after cleaning the TB... you may consider that if you have not had yours cleaned in some time
yes I cleaned mine and at 55k at the time it was hard to believe how gunky it was. there was an improvement in throttle response, but the starting was about the same still.

good tip!
Old 08-19-11, 08:24 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Another factor in delay on start is fuel pump. In almost every modern car the fuel pump has to kick on to re-pressurize the fuel system before the engine can start.

As the key moves from Off past ACC to Start, the fuel pump relay has to click from open to closed position to then energize the fuel pump which allows the engine to start.
Old 01-06-15, 10:25 AM
low430
Driver School Candidate

Hay im had the ls430 a few days and had the same thing it turns ova alot longer then im use to but a few times it dose it qwite long and sounds like its only just abel to start idel in the moring is a lil odd to wood new plugs or etc help this??
Old 01-06-15, 11:52 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by low430
Hay im had the ls430 a few days and had the same thing it turns ova alot longer then im use to but a few times it dose it qwite long and sounds like its only just abel to start idel in the moring is a lil odd to wood new plugs or etc help this??
Well, first of all, welcome to the club.

Now, we'll need more information about your car before any assistance can be given.
Miles?
Age?
Maintenance history?

Once you give that info, then someone can respond
It may be fuel related, or plugs, or some other electrical issue. Maybe even bad gas, if it's been sitting a long time..
Old 01-07-15, 02:29 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Marklouis
That makes a lot of sense, and yeah my LS430 takes a split second longer to fire than other vehicles, but runs flawlessly once it starts so I am happy

Quick Reply: LS430 is slow to start?