LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

ETS vs. UL

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-04, 09:47 AM
XZLR8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ETS vs. UL

I am waiting on an '05 LS with the ETS. Today my salesman called and mentioned that they have ULs spec'd (colors, options, etc.) as I'd like that would be available sooner, if I would be interested. His comment was that the UL in "sport" mode feels "exactly" as the ETS car does.

I recently testdrove an '04 LS ETS at the Taste of Lux event and was very pleasantly surprised (thus my order). I was not as impressed with the LS without the ETS, but they weren't the UL models. I have driven ULs prior to the updated '04 MY and didn't think the "sport" mode was anything noticeable at all. Granted, I have a long history of German sedans (BMW 7s and Audi A8s), so that skews my perceptions a bit.

I know that prior to '05, the ETS had 18" wheels that the UL didn't have, which my salesman pointed out is no longer the case. But there are still other benefits to the ETS? I'm not sure my salesman has ever sold one, to be honest.

Insights?
Old 10-26-04, 10:30 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

I test drove an '04 UL and an '04 Modern Luxury with the ETS. I thought that the ETS was tighter in the turns than the UL in the sport mode. The sport mode also floated more than the ETS in normal driving (in my opinion). I read a write-up on the '04 that had a link from the Lexus LS web site and they preferred the ETS to the sport mode as well.

The bottom line is that if you're looking for all of the extra's on the UL then that's the only way to go. On the other hand if that's not the important thing and the ML has enough "goodies" then I would opt for the ML with the ETS. It is a great car.
Old 10-26-04, 05:05 PM
cschow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This spring I bought a used 01 LS 430 UL and I recently traded that car in for a new 04 LS 430 Modern Lux with Sport Package 1 (ETS + 18" wheels/tires). Bottom line: the 04 drives MUCH better.

A good deal of that could be differences such as 01 vs 04, wheel size (17" vs 18"), tire type (summer vs all-seasons), tire width (225 vs 245), mileage (42K vs almost 1K). On the other hand, I know from switching better Normal and Sports mode on the 01 that there isn't much difference between the two modes. Plus, while I don't think Lexus has published the weight differences between the different option packages, a UL has to be significantly heavier. It at least has 1 extra air conditioner, rear seat motor mechanics, 4 power door closers, heavier side window glass, etc).

For luxury, the UL is hard to beat. Its got everything, including, for example, the alcantra headliner. But if you want the car to be more nimble, the ML + Sport Package will have it beat.

Last edited by cschow; 10-27-04 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-26-04, 07:08 PM
XZLR8
Driver

I appreciate the responses. You guys are confirming what I already believed to be true. To clarify, personally, the extra "goodies" available on the UL are not of particular interest to me (rear seat lux, etc.). I would be perfectly content with just the Modern Luxury and Smart Key options.

Have the specs of the ETS package ever been published anywhere? What differences are there, exactly? Sway bars, etc? I've never seen anything definitive from Lexus, especially since nothing is even listed on the website on in the literature referencing the package, which seems odd.

I appreciate additional insights and observations.
Old 10-26-04, 07:58 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by cschow
This spring I bought a used 01 LS 430 UL and I recently traded that car in for a new 01 LS 430 Modern Lux with Sport Package 1 (ETS + 18" wheels/tires). Bottom line: the 04 drives MUCH better.

A good deal of that could be differences such as 01 vs 04, wheel size (17" vs 18"), tire type (summer vs all-seasons), tire width (225 vs 245), mileage (42K vs almost 1K). On the other hand, I know from switching better Normal and Sports mode on the 01 that there isn't much difference between the two modes. Plus, while I don't think Lexus has published the weight differences between the different option packages, a UL has to be significantly heavier. It at least has 1 extra air conditioner, rear seat motor mechanics, 4 power door closers, heavier side window glass, etc).

For luxury, the UL is hard to beat. Its got everything, including, for example, the alcantra headliner. But if you want the car to be more nimble, the ML + Sport Package will have it beat.
You meant to say you traded the '01 in for an '04 right?
Old 10-27-04, 08:01 AM
cschow
Rookie

Correct... the 01 was traded in for the 04. Thanks for pointing out the error.
Old 10-27-04, 01:04 PM
stanatl
Pole Position

CSCHOW,

How do you like the satellite radio. I was thinking of getting it, but wasn't crazy about where they install the antenna.
Old 10-27-04, 01:15 PM
XZLR8
Driver

Where do they install the antenna? I hadn't thought about that. Pics? I am definitely interested in XM....
Old 10-27-04, 01:23 PM
cschow
Rookie

I like the Lexus XM unit, but it can definitely be done much better than the way Lexus did it.

When installed, the AM/Sat button toggles between AM, Sat1, Sat2, and Sat3. On each of the Sat pages you can store 6 presets. When you use the up/down buttons on the steering wheel, you go through the presets on the current page. So if you're on preset 6 of Sat1, hitting next preset (arrrow up) wraps you back to preset 1 of Sat1, not preset 1 of Sat 2.

The sound quality of the Lexus unit, being directly wired into the ML system, is much better than the wired FM modulator that the XM Commander used in my 01 LS. Things where Lexus could improve the unit include:

-- I'd like to have more than 6 presets per Sat page.
-- I'd like to have the unit memorize which stations are on each of the preset. Currently when you switch to a new sat page, it takes the display about 1 second to switch from station numbers to station names as the tuner apparently looks this up in real time when you switch pages.
-- I'd like to have way more than 10 characters for the display of artist and song name. Currently, the Lexus XM unit only displays 10 characters for each field. Additional letters are truncated.

The XM antenna is a small black unit which is mounted on the trunk. This isn't a very good picture, but you can see the antenna here:

Old 10-27-04, 01:53 PM
XZLR8
Driver

Thanks, Chris. I really appreciate the information and the picture. You've been a great help.
Old 10-28-04, 06:48 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Thanks Chris, that was very helpful. I think I will go for it and have Lexus paint the antenna Flint Mica to match the vehicle color. Perhaps it won't be as obvious.

Stan