LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 or BMW 545/550i?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-11, 05:31 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS430 or BMW 545/550i?

So lately I've been getting the urge for another car, mainly because I've had my car for 4 years now. I think it's time for change(I may end up keeping my current car) I know I'm going to get many biased answers since this is CL. I have in mind the LS and the 5 series. I know there are 2 different cars. Does anyone here own both or driven both? What are your thought on this. I was at a dealer checking them out today, and the 5 series looks sooo good! The Ls looks very elegant and if I did end up getting one, I would drop it low on air. I have summed it up to this.. 550i is for sport and handling whereas the LS is a pure luxo cruiser... I need some thought on this, thank you
Old 02-14-11, 06:46 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are not direct market competitors - the LS and 7-series are. That said, IMO:

* LS has vastly better fit and finish, reliability, and quality of materials everywhere; they're not in the same ballpark.
* 5-series is a more engaging drive, LS rides better. That said, the 5-series is no 3-series on mountain roads, nor is the LS an old Cadillac by a long shot.
* LS has more conservative styling, BMW is crisper.

Beyond that it's really your preference.

All manufacturers have a sweet spot, and for me the 3-series is BMW's and the LS is Lexus'. I don't care for and wouldn't spend my money on other BMW or Lexus models.
Old 02-14-11, 07:40 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've driven my friend's 2007 550i manual and it's quite a beast compared to the LS, but the transmission's throw is not as short as an Acura's so the driving experience wasn't that great for me.

It's a nice vehicle, but definitely not something I see being a daily driver. If it were an automatic, then I might consider. Interior was nice, it had the upgraded leather, wood trim, etc. and such, but it all felt "harsh" for a lack of better word. Brawny you could say and not supple.

The 550i is an extra firm bed with memory foam pillows. It's harsh and hugs you. The LS is a firm bed with super soft goose down pillows. Easy on the body and encapsulates you in it's softness.
Old 02-14-11, 08:20 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am assuming you're talking about the E60 5 since you mentioned 545. I have spent quite a bit of time in the E60 (borrowed my grandfather's on a drive to attend some med school interviews in PA and NY). I actually really liked the car a lot. Go for the facelifted version (550 in this case). The fit and finish is great, there was no squeaks or rattles present throughout the cabin, even on NYC's rough streets. I would even go as far to say that it felt tighter than my LS430 (but bear in mind that car is a newer design). The E60 I drove was a 528xi without sport pack. Even so, the cornering was level and confident at any speed, steering was spot on, and the seats hugged you in pretty well.

The LS is a different car altogether. Instead of really driving it, you go along for the ride. The seats are wider and softer, the car rolls a lot more through the bends. Everything about the Lexus is smooth and well thought out. The engine/trans combo is the best I've felt so far, mainly because you never really know they're working. However, if the mood takes you and you put your foot down, the car responds quickly and gives you a nice push into the seat.

These 2 are kinda opposite in how they make you feel, but also similar. They different because the BMW offers an involved experience while the Lexus offers a relaxing experience. However, they are similar in that both are incredible machines. I drove the LS from Chicago and back (to MI) the entire way with only 1 quick bathroom break, felt great after the journey. Drove the BMW for several days going from MI to IA, then MI to PA to NY and back to MI. Felt great as well. Both are very quiet, offer a superb ride, and have very high build quality. They have different personalities, but both these cars are top notch machines.

It all depends on you're driving preference. If I could only have 1 car to do everything (which I do at the moment), DD and weekend toy I would be thrilled to have either one. As most will chime in, take them both out for a comprehensive test drive and decide which you like more.
Old 02-14-11, 08:26 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I have a friend that has had 3 BMWs in a row. He has a relatively unlimited budget for cars but he gets the high $$$ fully optioned 3 series instead of the 1,5,6, or7 series because he feels the 3 series is BMW's best model.

Having said that, the BMW 5 or 7 series is just apples and oranges with the LS in my opinion in the basic fundamental feel and tone of the car. If you want a completely different feel in a luxury car for your next car , the BMW 5 series would be a good choice, it is certainly a great car, I say go for it. If I had to choose between a 460 and a 5 series I might choose the 5 series but ONLY if I could get one without the silly iDrive mouse interface.
Old 02-14-11, 09:24 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I might choose the 5 series but ONLY if I could get one without the silly iDrive mouse interface.
All the newer ones (E60 and up) come with idrive regardless of nav. I actually love using the system, pretty well laid out IMO. Like Jabber said though, these cars are apples and oranges, different cars for different people.
Old 02-15-11, 07:03 AM
danxp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'll agree and say the 5 series and our ls430 are completely different cars and it's not a fair comparison, per se... having said that, i just love the styling of the new 5 series so much, i'm looking to "downgrade" to a 2011 535 in a couple of years when i might be able to afford one... love the 7-series too, but way too much coin even after a few years depreciation...
Old 02-15-11, 07:31 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It really depends on what you are looking for. Do you want more luxury floating ride or more sport? I recently switched over from the gen2 GS section and i am happy with my decision. A couple of tips if you do decide to go with the bimmer, make sure it has full warranty and maintenance package and go with the 550 and not the 545. There were improvements made with the 550. Also log on to bimmerfest and read up on the cars. GL on your decision.
Old 02-15-11, 07:38 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

i sold my 545i for LS430 because of transmission issues. I was afraid to keep the car after warranty is over. i don't care the least about warranty expiring on my LS430.
Old 02-15-11, 07:43 AM
Avarec
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5 hands down, cause it comes in manual like real car should, lux or not
Old 02-15-11, 07:49 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

manual too much work, i guess i'm getting old and lazy... i'll get manual for weekend sports car only, not for daily commuter.
Old 02-15-11, 08:05 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I always had a car with manual transmission (1955-1990) until I got to the point that in the heavy stop and go rush traffic while going home, a couple of times I didn't know if I could keep the clutch pedal long enough to get home!
Old 02-15-11, 09:19 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i say 750 or 760 is you are feeling squirly. i wouldn't choose a 5 series over an LS personally, but the right 7 might just persuade me
Old 02-15-11, 09:45 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
i sold my 545i for LS430 because of transmission issues. I was afraid to keep the car after warranty is over. i don't care the least about warranty expiring on my LS430.
Originally Posted by sojah
i say 750 or 760 is you are feeling squirly. i wouldn't choose a 5 series over an LS personally, but the right 7 might just persuade me
yep, the 05s 745 are very cheap (maybe $25k ish), since most hit 50k miles (warranty is over) and people are dumping them

I was checking out an M5 and the interior alone was just a turn off.

they do drive nice, really, but I got better things to do than getting them serviced regularly
Old 02-15-11, 11:51 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Word of warning, stay away from the turbo charged BMWs as they continually have HPFP (high pres fuel pump) failures. This means avoiding things ending in a -35, ie 535 or 335.

Also avoid the 545/745 because many report transmission issues. Go for the second gen stuff (whether its an E60 or E65/66) as many of the electrical issues have been smoothed out.

Quick Reply: LS430 or BMW 545/550i?