LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

94 LS Srange Noise after Startup Under Dash affecting Electrical System ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-18, 02:25 PM
tyncobb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 94 LS Strange Buzzing Noise after Startup Under Dash affecting Electrical System ???

I have a 1994 ls400 with a very strange noise that seems to be affecting my electrical system. I took it to Autozone and had them check the alternator, charging system and battery and the charging system and alternator were good, but they said that something seems to be draining the cold amp cranking which is rated at 725 and tested at 162. I believe the problem is stemming from this unusual Buzzing noise that I have been getting for the past 30 days, immediately after I start the car up. The car starts fine every time, but within 3 seconds after starting, it has been making this strange Buzz sound, for 4-5 seconds immediately after startup, and then it stops and the car is running fine. The noise seems to be coming from under the dash at the front center console area. The tech said, that is what he heard also, but could not diagnose what it is. What worries me, is that twice in the last week, this same Buzz noise appeared all of a sudden while driving on the highway and right after the noise, the electrical system shut down completely, no dash lights, driving lights and the power in the engine shut down too. I pulled off to the side of the road and started it up again after about 3 turns of the key and it drove fine for the next 55 miles. This happened again several days later and it shut the power down, I restarted it and drove home. Next morning there was no power at all when I turned the key, no ignition, no lights, no clicks. Spent about 45 minutes waiting for a battery jump and tried turning it on again before AAA arrived and it started up right away without a jump. SO, I AM VERY WORRIED AND WONDERED IF ANY ONE ELSE HAD HEARD OR EXPERIENCED THIS ODD NOISE THAT SEEMS TO BE AFFECTING THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM. I AM ATTACHING A VOICE MEMO FROM MY IPHONE WHERE I HAVE RECORDED IT TWICE, STARTING THE CAR UP & THEN THE NOISE OCCURS FOR ABOUT 3 SECONDS & I HAVE DONE THIS TWICE, SO YOU COULD HEAR IT. CAN ANYONE HEAR THIS AND TELL ME WHAT THEY THINK IT COULD BE OR HOW IT MAY BE AFFECTING MY ELECTRICAL SYSTEM ??? THANK YOU

Last edited by tyncobb; 08-19-18 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Needs corrects to noise/sound - Buzz