LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Cluster board giving out ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-15, 11:05 AM
Screwhead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cluster board giving out ??

My temp gauge is shooting up had my car checked all fans n thermostat is working fine.. They said it was my cluster board giving out .. When you hit the dash board the temp gauge goes all the way down.. My concern is if the temp gauge isnt working why is it shooting all the way up ?? Maybe they missed something or is it really my cluster board ?
Old 08-31-15, 12:33 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

On what car? Its sometimes the capacitors, ask Yamae.
Old 08-31-15, 03:37 PM
Screwhead
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
On what car? Its sometimes the capacitors, ask Yamae.
Ls400 , n who is yamae im kinda new to this
Old 08-31-15, 04:25 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Year of car helps too. The first gen and some second gen have had cluster issues. All fixable and there is past discussion on what can be done to revive the instrument panel.
Old 08-31-15, 04:52 PM
Screwhead
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
Year of car helps too. The first gen and some second gen have had cluster issues. All fixable and there is past discussion on what can be done to revive the instrument panel.
Its a 98 n were can i find it ?
Old 08-31-15, 05:18 PM
Yamae
Forum Moderator

Received 898 Likes on 679 Posts

A 98-00 begins to fail these days especially on a very hot day. We had much warmer summer here this year and I have been busy. Dealers replace just the unit and charge you some big money. As I saw some of those failed units requested by indy shop owners, I found different parts were dead. Without seeing the actual ones I can't say what is wrong but one of the rather common failed circuits is the low voltage regulator. The next comes the processing circuit as far as I have experienced. I'm not a professional and I just fix them for my curiosity and sometimes it needs months to fix.

Without a good skill, some experience and equipments, it is hard for an average DIYer to fix it, I must add. The ECU fix is much easier. One thing I can say is that those capacitors in the cluster do not contain the QAS and last longer. Simple replacements of them seldom fix the problem.

Last edited by Yamae; 08-31-15 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-31-15, 05:30 PM
Screwhead
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
A 98-00 begins to fail these days. Dealers replace just the unit and charge you some big money. As I saw some of those failed units requested by indy shop owners, I found different parts were dead. Without seeing the actual ones I can't say what is wrong but one of the rather common failed circuits is the low voltage regulator. The next comes the processing circuit as far as I have experienced. I'm not a professional and I just fix them for my curiosity and sometimes it needs months to fix.

Without a good skill, some experience and equipments, it is hard for an average DIYer to fix it, I must add. The ECU fix is much easier. One thing I can say is that those capacitors in the cluster do not contain the QAS and last longer. Simple replacement of them seldom fix the problem.
Will replacing the whole instrument cluster fix the problem
Old 08-31-15, 06:27 PM
KJG92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just told that the cluster on our '92 now has a stuck gas gauge and that the tip of the speedo needle was fading out. It is all making sense now as I think I can close the case on the low rpm issue I thought I had. Now to fine a replacement or repair place. Then figure out that skip/miss/shudder thing at 55-60, has to be the tps. If you find a place that repairs them please share the info.
Old 08-31-15, 07:49 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

I believe member taninauto fixes the clusters.
Old 08-31-15, 08:38 PM
Yamae
Forum Moderator

Received 898 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
A 98-00 begins to fail these days especially on a very hot day. We had much warmer summer here this year and I have been busy. Dealers replace just the unit and charge you some big money. As I saw some of those failed units requested by indy shop owners, I found different parts were dead. Without seeing the actual ones I can't say what is wrong but one of the rather common failed circuits is the low voltage regulator. The next comes the processing circuit as far as I have experienced. I'm not a professional and I just fix them for my curiosity and sometimes it needs months to fix.

Without a good skill, some experience and equipments, it is hard for an average DIYer to fix it, I must add. The ECU fix is much easier. One thing I can say is that those capacitors in the cluster do not contain the QAS and last longer. Simple replacements of them seldom fix the problem.
Attached photos are Celsior's main board and the sub board. I show you these for those who are interested in. Different voltage regulator circuits exist at the lower left area of the first photo. The processing circuit exists at the right upper area. The the second photo shows the high voltage regulator circuit.

Most of those electrolytic capacitors are the KME series of Nippon Chemicon. They last longer but the capacitances are already lost some after 1.5 decade has past.

One comment from me: Metal oxide film resistors tend to increase the resistance as aged and it is not a bad idea to check them first.
Attached Thumbnails Cluster board giving out ??-98-00-celsior-cluster-main-board.jpg   Cluster board giving out ??-98-00-celsior-cluster-sub-board.jpg  

Last edited by Yamae; 08-31-15 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-01-15, 02:27 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/category-s/1871.htm

This is an okay place.
Old 09-01-15, 10:32 AM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Save yourself the headache and messing around, I been through this cluster stuff with my 99 cluster, just send to Tanin he will refresh your cluster. His price is very reasonable and fast service, the hard part is taking that cluster out and your car will not be drivable for a week or so. Send it in my friend and save yourself the trouble.
Old 09-01-15, 12:59 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

We fix these all the time. Just send it in. Cost will be $69 plus whatever is wrong plus shipping.
www.taninautoelectronix.com