LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Blown 80A fuse now issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-14, 07:05 PM
ls40098
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown 80A fuse now issues

Hello all, not sure if anyone can help but here goes….
Sub zero here…battery goes completely dead. Half frozen I get a boost…wrong polarity and blew the 80A main fuse. Having done this before, I did have a spare. Replaced it, dash lights etc come on.

Problems experiencing now…..

Initially very hard to start…eventually did run.

Idles quite fast now…1000-1100

When pressing gas pedal, nothing until almost to floor, the will rev.

When engaging from P to R or D a hard shift due to high idle is my guess.

When driving after fully warmed up, very hard first shift at 2200, hard again at around 3200, definitely not shifting higher.

Last thing..no cruise light comes on at all when pressed button on stalk.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

tia
Old 01-01-14, 07:19 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

its tough to say if those are all related to the fuse blowing. some of the issues(high idle hard shifts) could be because the battery died and the computer has to relearn. Also could be due to sub zero temps.... hope someone else has more insight for you though.
Old 01-01-14, 07:22 PM
ls40098
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
its tough to say if those are all related to the fuse blowing. some of the issues(high idle hard shifts) could be because the battery died and the computer has to relearn. Also could be due to sub zero temps.... hope someone else has more insight for you though.
Thanks , I have the battery on charge and its still showing low. I'm hoping driving will help but don't want it blowing up either!

Sub zero is putting it mildly with colder on its way tomorrow.
Old 01-01-14, 08:25 PM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by ls40098
Initially very hard to start…eventually did run.

Idles quite fast now…1000-1100

When pressing gas pedal, nothing until almost to floor, the will rev.

When engaging from P to R or D a hard shift due to high idle is my guess.

When driving after fully warmed up, very hard first shift at 2200, hard again at around 3200, definitely not shifting higher.

Last thing..no cruise light comes on at all when pressed button on stalk.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

tia
Sounds like a partially damaged ECU or some more blown fuse to me.

When the low impedance of reversed voltage is applied to the battery, it takes several milliseconds or more to blow the fuse. During that time period, the ECU and other equipments connected directory to the battery only via fuses receive the negative voltage. This causes damaged semiconductor(s) or blown fuse(s) some time. Many equipments have protection diodes at the input circuit but they are not always perfect.

Judging from your symptom the processor is still alive but the memory is partially erased or dead or simply some more fuse(s) might blown.

Check other fuses and try resetting the ECU doing as follows.
1, Disconnect the negative battery cable for 5 minutes with head lights switch On.
2, Connect the negative battery cable for 1 minutes with head lights switch Off.
3, The same with 1.
4, The same with 2.
5, Start the engine and run ( if engine runs better) for a while.

If above does not improve the situation, try 1-5 again, If the 2nd try is not effective, you probably need to fix the ECU.
The reason to turn the headlights switch On is to discharge the remaining energy quickly.
Old 01-01-14, 08:30 PM
ls40098
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the detailed reply, I will do try that sequence and hope for the best!
Old 01-02-14, 11:03 AM
MistaG1
Driver School Candidate

Default Blown fuse issues

I was experiencing the same issues with idle...LS4 seemed like it wanted to cut off while stopped at a light...had diagnostics done and they said I needed converter...I replaced converter and had same issues. Currently having new plugs and wires put in. Hopefully this will fix but if not, you bring up a point in checking the fuses.

Thanks
Old 01-02-14, 11:06 AM
ls40098
Driver School Candidate

Update!!

Checked all fuses now that it is daylight again, Fuses for radi and ECU were blown. Replaced and all is well for what I can tell.

Cruise is back.
Acceleration is normal
Shifting normal

Thanks for those who responded.
Old 01-02-14, 04:09 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by ls40098
Update!!

Checked all fuses now that it is daylight again, Fuses for radi and ECU were blown. Replaced and all is well for what I can tell.

Cruise is back.
Acceleration is normal
Shifting normal

Thanks for those who responded.
Congratulations on your success. I'm glad that you made it.
Be careful when you boost next time.
Old 01-02-14, 06:21 PM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm surprised that it ran at all with a blown ECU fuse; is that by design?
Old 01-02-14, 07:35 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by fixmiester
I'm surprised that it ran at all with a blown ECU fuse; is that by design?
Yes, that is by design.Toyota calls it a robust design. The ECU is tested many times applying the negative voltage at the design stage in order to confirm that the ECU can withstand it. Toyota requires this and engineers need to work harder.

There is a big diode that bypasses/clamps the current when negative voltage is applied to the ECU. There goes too big current to the diode and the fuse is blown. But there exists a forward voltage of about -0.7V and also it takes several milliseconds or more to blow up the fuse. These sometimes causes a problem but it is not often. In order to minimize the problem, studies, calculations, selections of parts and experiments are done extensively. I think I was a bit tired of doing those.

Last edited by Yamae; 01-02-14 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-02-14, 08:09 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
Yes, that is by design.Toyota calls it a robust design. The ECU is tested many times applying the negative voltage at the design stage in order to confirm that the ECU can withstand it. Toyota requires this and engineers need to work harder.

There is a big diode that bypasses/clamps the current when negative voltage is applied to the ECU. There goes too big current to the diode and the fuse is blown. But there exists a forward voltage of about -0.7V and also it takes several milliseconds or more to blow up the fuse. These sometimes causes a problem but it is not often. In order to minimize the problem, studies, calculations, selections of parts and experiments are done extensively. I think I was a bit tired of doing those.
good info, though he is saying that the car starts runs and drives with a blown ecu fuse (no power to ecu?), not that it can withstand negative voltage.
Old 01-02-14, 08:25 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
good info, though he is saying that the car starts runs and drives with a blown ecu fuse (no power to ecu?), not that it can withstand negative voltage.
There are 2 different 12V supplies to the ECU. One is via the ignition key switch and the other directory to the ECU. Of course there exists a fuse at each line. The blown fuse was at the latter one. The latter one is mostly for the back up of memories. The former one is for processors, sensors and drivers. I think this is enough for you to understand.
Old 01-03-14, 01:35 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

A person is very lucky if he can install the battery terminals or jumper cables backwards and get away from that error with only fuses to buy - usually you ruin components

Please be very careful when hooking up batteries and jump starting, it can be very hard on your wallet!
Old 01-03-14, 08:04 AM
ls40098
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
A person is very lucky if he can install the battery terminals or jumper cables backwards and get away from that error with only fuses to buy - usually you ruin components

Please be very careful when hooking up batteries and jump starting, it can be very hard on your wallet!
Totally agree, when you think about it, the the stress of wondering what was wrong, standing in sub zero temps while snowing to change out the main fuse......all for not taking another second to make sure the cables were connected correctly.

A smart car too...the horn blasts as soon as the cables are incorrectly attached. At least it warning you that bad things are about to happen.

thanks again guys, learned alot!