LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls400 start up, Running rough help

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-13, 12:05 PM
LANcr3w
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation LS400 Wont Start need help

Im new to the lexus scene, I picked up a ls400 for $320 and it doesn't start.
I went through it checked the spark plugs, oil, timing and a few other things. It came down
to the point where I believed it just needed a starter cuz I just got one click without any other noise.
So I tore down all the way to under the intake removed the starter and got it tested.
They said it failed so I went to the junk yard and found a starter in a untouched ls400 think it
was a 97. I got that tested and it passed. So I installed the starter and the plugs were different fixed that problem.
Installed everything back to the point im ready to fire it up and I got nothing other than a single click with a little bit more starter noise assuming now that the starter works and now I have no idea what the problem is.

my only other idea is the connectors on the battery are bad or the battery itself

Any ideas or suggestions? id really like to get this thing started up.
Would appreciate the help, Thanks.

Last edited by LANcr3w; 01-13-13 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-13-13, 12:47 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Need that battery tested. What plugs were different?
Old 01-13-13, 02:01 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

what is the year model of your LS400 and the mileage?

I would start with a brand new battery, it's not worth fighting a problem by trying to hold on to an old battery, they are only to be depended on for 4 years anyway.

I would also replace the + battery terminal end from the one from the dealership - mine had hidden corrosion inside that keep the car from starting - comes off with a wrench

I would clean the negative terminal and replace if it will not get clean and tight.

then I would test every fuse, fuselink, relay or circuit breaker in the car.

I know you want to get it going at low cost, but the new battery and positive terminal end will save so many headaches

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 01-13-13 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-13-13, 02:06 PM
adrenelin5
Rookie

Originally Posted by cobalt91
Need that battery tested. What plugs were different?

I agree, if you have a multi metre check to see if you have 12.5 volts while just sitting (not running). You should also check the alternator by ensuring the battery shows 13.5 aprox volts while running.

After repairing my starter I had the one click thing and it turned out to be a combo of the alternator (brushes were full of oil) and one of my terminals was not tight even though I had the nut tightened as far as it would go. To check for the latter grab each terminal and gently rock it in all directions. If the clamp seems to have more movement than the post that is more than likely your problem or at least one of them.
I would also reccomend running an extra ground to the engine block somewhere just for added security.

Last edited by adrenelin5; 01-13-13 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-13-13, 02:15 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

You should also check the alternator by ensuring the battery shows 13.5 aprox volts while running.
he can't check anything while running, it's not running
Old 01-13-13, 02:18 PM
adrenelin5
Rookie

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
he can't check anything while running, it's not running

Good point LOL. But if he gets it running with say a boost he could check it then. I only say that becuase I was getting the one click and without fail a boost was all It took to get it going again. But then of course my battery would eventually drain.

Last edited by adrenelin5; 01-13-13 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-13-13, 03:36 PM
LANcr3w
Rookie

Lol thanks for the suggestions, definitely just had a retard moment with the battery charger I had and forgot to put it on jump mode, it turns over now so I think its all good.

Now to fix radiator, get the upper hose, and get a new battery and it should run just fine ( hopefully )

Thanks for the help

1994 Lexus Ls400, 140,000miles
Old 01-13-13, 04:19 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I would strongly suggest a new thermostat, and a new engine temperature control sensor (ETCS) - and the red Toyota coolant makes a radiator last forever! - flush any green out with a couple of cycles of distilled water
Old 01-13-13, 04:31 PM
adrenelin5
Rookie

I would strongly suggest a new thermostat, and a new engine temperature control sensor (ETCS) - and the red Toyota coolant makes a radiator last forever! - flush any green out with a couple of cycles of distilled water

Good to know. When I had the hose off early this week the coolant looked to have rust in it. It looked more like water mixed with rust or perhaps it was the red diluted way to much. In any case I added green. Guess I'll have to do some cycling.
Old 01-13-13, 04:49 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

if you already have rust, it's too late for the expensive Toyota red to do any good, save your money for your new radiator which I see in your immediate future - let me see if I can find you a deal on the real Lexus original radiator and I will post a link
Old 01-13-13, 05:03 PM
adrenelin5
Rookie

if you already have rust, it's too late for the expensive Toyota red to do any good, save your money for your new radiator which I see in your immediate future - let me see if I can find you a deal on the real Lexus original radiator and I will post a link

Thinking on it I really doubt it was rust. There was no particulate just the color was rusty. It was more than likely the red or orange diluted way to much. Thanks for the link though in advance. Who know that may be the next thing in my future. Cheers.
Old 01-14-13, 06:11 AM
LANcr3w
Rookie

Now the only trouble im having is the motor wont start, thinking it might need new gas?
Ill be checking to see if its getting fuel tonight

Any suggestions for that?
Old 01-14-13, 06:27 AM
Handy98
Driver School Candidate

How long did the car sit dead? Why was it sitting and sold for so little? They tried to fix it and couldn't?

Fuel and filter and are a good place to start. If you have a standard or even a decent battery charger, it might still not be enough to jump this car. I have had that problem more than once with my '98. We have multiple heavy duty marine chargers, professional chargers, they won't jump the Lexus but they do everything else. One jumper battery pack will do it and a car to car jump will also.

The ECU is a popular suspect for these cars an outstanding thread on it here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...capacitor.html
Old 01-14-13, 01:56 PM
LANcr3w
Rookie

I dont believe that car sat for too long, the guy i bought it from just wanted it gone cuz he got it from an older lady that sold it for cheap and he believed he could fix it. This guy hardly had the knowledge to change a headlight blub on his own vehicle.

But the battery problem could definately be the issue cuz the battery is most likely completely done.
Ill try a jump start car to car and see if that helps.
Old 01-14-13, 03:01 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

siphon all of the original gas out and refill with 3 gallons of fresh gas

see if the car will start after a full one second shot of starting fluid sprayed into the intake (above radiator, near the battery) if it starts, bring the starting fluid with you just in case, and immediately drive down and fill the tank with fresh gas

Quick Reply: Ls400 start up, Running rough help